Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat cushion completely missing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver/OW Sapphire
Disgraceful, and just shows the contempt BA has for their passengers now. Truly ashamed this is our national airline. Where is the pride?
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

I fear Customer Services may have failed to grasp the gravity of the situation. As I see it, we’re not discussing the matter of a seat that couldn’t be fixed but of a more serious nature, such as the absence of a critical seat component. I have absolute trust in what CIHY posted and it would be worth mentioning this when you follow up

Originally Posted by Can I help you
I don't want to say too much more as I can see this going further, what I will tell you is that both of these seats as you have described should not have been used and if no alternative seats were available then two customers would have had needed to be offloaded.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: BAEC bouncing from Blue to Gold to Blue VSFC Red CXGreen Club Accor Platinum Hilton Silver.
what a sorry state of affairs, how could BA sink so low and treat you all so badly. I am sorry to read that your family was let down so badly by BA and crew. I hope it will be soon resolved to your satisfaction.
John
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
duty of care
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by headingwest
duty of care
... operating licence breach
... safety considerations
... inadequate response[s]
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Well, obviously this issue is much more serious than I initially thought. I would like to do the right thing, without being reactionary or acting like I am "threatening" BA in any way. I sent another follow up response, letting them know that it was brought to my attention that the flight was illegally operated and that I feel my complaint should be escalated to the appropriate authorities. I am somewhat at loose ends now. Do I notify the FAA, or does that not apply since BA is not a US based airline?

I do not have much, if any, faith that British Airways will reply in a satisfactory manner, so I realize the onus is on me to make sure the appropriate authorities are notified.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by AirNurse
Well, obviously this issue is much more serious than I initially thought. I would like to do the right thing, without being reactionary or acting like I am "threatening" BA in any way. I sent another follow up response, letting them know that it was brought to my attention that the flight was illegally operated and that I feel my complaint should be escalated to the appropriate authorities. I am somewhat at loose ends now. Do I notify the FAA, or does that not apply since BA is not a US based airline?

I do not have much, if any, faith that British Airways will reply in a satisfactory manner, so I realize the onus is on me to make sure the appropriate authorities are notified.
It might be worth calling BA late morning/early afternoon UK time. Your initial note to them was answered by someone selecting Reply 48 - seat uncomfortable and not really giving it any thought. Maybe by speaking to someone directly, you might get more progress or at least a better response.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:35 am

I would start with the CAA. You are wasting time trying to deal with BA as after reply 48 mentioned above you will get reply 50 - how to cover one's backside. and then reply 52 - how to brush things under a carpet.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Our-work/Make-...afety-concern/
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agree with simons1 ... tbis is sufficiently serious that BA should NOT be allowed to handle it internally. IT seems to me there is some serious culpability involved here, across a broad spectrum of BA's legal liabilities.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:46 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Doesn't the seat also act as a flotation device? If so then it could be argued that it is a safety feature that was missing.

Either way dreadful.

I do not care where anyone is seated, all passengers should be treated equally with regards to safety.

The other seat was also unacceptable.

Sorry you had to experience this.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: EI AerClub Concierge, EK Gold, BA Gold, BD Gold (Retired), HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
Is it possible to identify and name the registration of the aircraft concerned for the benefit of others?

(Without compromising anonymity or due process obviously)

I am sure many here check all seat functionality well before doors close (independent of airline).
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The basource website will identify the airframe.

It's a shame the OP hasn't (or has she?) got photographic evidence.

EDITthebasource.com says: 31/12/2016 BA269 London Heathrow Los Angeles G-XLEE A380-800 14F/97J/55W/303Y

Last edited by T8191; Jan 8, 2017 at 12:00 pm
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by GentleGiant
Doesn't the seat also act as a flotation device? If so then it could be argued that it is a safety feature that was missing.

Either way dreadful.

I do not care where anyone is seated, all passengers should be treated equally with regards to safety.

The other seat was also unacceptable.

Sorry you had to experience this.
The life jacket is stowed under the seat and does not involve the seat cushion.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Did not think to take photos. Obviously I should have. Again, seeing that I handled this all wrong from the start, and I am feeling a bit silly. My only defense is that it was a rough day, schlepping kids and bags to Heathrow, sitting around during the delay in boarding, etc. I think that had I been operating on all cylinders I would have handled the situation differently.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey. AirNurse ... this is not "Blame the Passenger"

This is a community that [generally] tries to find solutions to people's problems. And yours is a Good One!

Feel the luuuurrrrve you have already achieved ... and ... breathe deeply

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.