Search

Upgrade at airport

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA
Upgrade at airport

Advice please.

Myself and my son are booked in economy on the 21.40 from Cape Town to London tomorrow. My wife, mother-in-law and other son are in Club World. Naturally, I would quite like to join them. I could currently upgrade online but at a cost of £3500 for the two of us, which is more than I am prepared to pay.

A few questions:-

What are are the chances of them reducing in price online between now and departure?

Should I be turning up at the airport 3 hours ahead of the flight to give myself the best chance of bagging them at the airport?

If I do that, what are my chances? And what sort of cost am I likely to pay?

Any other tips?

Many thanks for any help.

PUMA
Old Jan 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
You can try getting there early, but ExpertFlyer shows BA flight 42 quite full in all classes, with only J2 (full fare CW) available, so an upgrade might be a long shot at best. If you are Gold or Silver, maybe...

F1 A0 J2 C0 W1 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 G0
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
I am also not sure if there are AUP (airport upgrade offers) that cover 2 classes - usually, I think, they are one class only though I might be wrong.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by chris1979
I am also not sure if there are AUP (airport upgrade offers) that cover 2 classes - usually, I think, they are one class only though I might be wrong.
My partner and I managed it in April - Y to CW for £698 each to ANU. Happy bunnies

OP, given the availability, route and season I don't think that price you were offered is too bad. Not too good either I recognise...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Hyatt, Marriot, HHonors
Originally Posted by StingWest

Those are what is selling at the moment, that does not mean that is actual seats available in that Cabin.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Correct, which probably means the flight is oversold or at the brink on those numbers.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:50 pm

flight looks chockers - if attempt to book 2 x cash tickets, only economy showing (reducing to 1 seat shows other cabins)
Do you or any of the others have OW status? getting to the airport too early may make for an uncomfortable wait if only the 3 in CW can get into the lounge
Old Jan 3, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by StingWest
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
Correct, which probably means the flight is oversold or at the brink on those numbers.
That flight looks pretty much overbooked to the limit. The numbers aren't much different using a UK point of sale:-
Code:
F1 A0 J1 C0 DC RC IC W1 EC TC Y2 B2 H1 K1 M0 LC VC SC NC QC OC G0
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Yes I don't think that's going to happen.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is as good a chance they'll be looking for volunteers not to travel...
Old Jan 3, 2017, 6:02 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
If they ask for volunteers you could offer to fly the next day...

In CW! 😋

In all seriousness, they could be looking for volunteers to not fly based on those numbers. That's your best hope for cheap CW.
Old Jan 3, 2017, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone - very helpful.

As you all say, it looks like our flight is chock full. The slightly earlier flight seems to have a bit of availability in premium economy and club world. Do BA ever ask passengers to fly on the earlier flight if the later one is overbooked? If so, is there any point calling the airport earlier in the day and volunteering ourselves for this?
Old Jan 4, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by THEPUMA
Thanks everyone - very helpful.

As you all say, it looks like our flight is chock full. The slightly earlier flight seems to have a bit of availability in premium economy and club world. Do BA ever ask passengers to fly on the earlier flight if the later one is overbooked? If so, is there any point calling the airport earlier in the day and volunteering ourselves for this?
Usually not because an overbooked flight does not mean there will necessarily be more people showing up than seats. If the airline is sure that there is, you could ask at the airport but it is almost impossible they'd accommodate all of you. Absolutely no point in calling: the phone answer will be a resounding 'no'.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:01 am
Original Poster

Thanks.

i was meaning that the two of us in economy may offer to go earlier.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 2:42 am

Originally Posted by THEPUMA
Thanks.

i was meaning that the two of us in economy may offer to go earlier.
for 2 that might work if too many people have already checked in for your flight and they are certain they'll have to offload people, but again you would only know at the airport and risk waiting a long time for nothing if, as is 90% likely they say no or only for the change fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.