FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Global triple Avios offer : flights booked and flown up to 31 Mar 2017 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1812264-global-triple-avios-offer-flights-booked-flown-up-31-mar-2017-a.html)

xhemp Jan 3, 2017 6:33 am

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss (Post 27696807)
What's the best way to calculate the "base" (which has the 3x multiple) ?

Is it:

=Base(3 * cabin bonus * tier bonus)
=(3 * Base) + (Cabin Bonus * Base) + (Tier Bonus + Base)

?

I believe just the base Avios are multiplied and that's it but someone, please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Cymro Jan 3, 2017 6:33 am

You will earn 3× the base mileage (0.25 on G/O/Q, 0.5 on discounted economy, 1x on flexible economy or any premium cabin) + the usual cabin bonus + the usual tier bonus.

So, the latter, with the caveat that if you earn less than 1x miles flown, it's the lower figure that is multiplied by three.

johnaalex Jan 3, 2017 7:22 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation (Post 27696657)
Was a lucky Google, I was actually looking for the terms of the previous offer to see if it had been credited to my account as expected.

Thanks for the info. ^

TravelManBiz Jan 3, 2017 7:34 am

Originally Posted by tropikey (Post 27696392)
Which of destinations (except of destinations in US) available from any EU airports could maximize the "triple avios effect" for possibly low price? I've been searching for tickets for March and as for now, the most interesting seem to be flights from AMS to BKK (approx. EUR 1450) or ICN (approx. EUR 1690) or PVG (approx. EUR 1650). RAK for EUR 560 sounds quite good too, doesn't it?
Do you know any other destination ex-EU worth of thinking about by someone with intention to take advantage of 3x avios offer?

Hi, I think this promotion is not valid for flights to Asia (BKK/ICN) It is only for flights within EU and to USA and maximum 8 sectors?

tgoldsmith Jan 3, 2017 7:37 am

Looks like the promotion is not yet active for those in the UK or US for some reason. According to the FAQ this happens on the 5th:

Triple Avios is available in all regions except UK&I and US as of 3 January 2017. Triple Avios will be available in UK&I and US as of 5 January 2017.

mmxbreaks Jan 3, 2017 7:53 am

Thanks for update about Jan 5. I'll re-register then.

Query though: I have a BA ticket flying AA return. Will that also achieve triple Avios?

If not I need to plan when to activate offer to strategically strike the most long haul flights.

tropikey Jan 3, 2017 8:12 am

@TravelManBiz

well, I hope my understanding of T&C is correct and all BA destinations are eligible as the first of 4 different categories of flights:

Subject to Clause 6, a Qualifying Flight is a published or corporate negotiated net fare flight in any selling class or cabin, with: (i) a BA prefix on a BA long-haul or short-haul operated service or (ii) a BA prefix on a transatlantic flight operated by BA, American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between the EU, Norway, Switzerland and North America, Mexico and Puerto Rico (iii) an OpenSkies service from Paris Orly to Newark or New York JFK (iv) all domestic and regional BA (operated by Comair) flights within South Africa. The promotion does not apply to travel on flights operated by any other BA franchisees, codeshare partners or oneworld Alliance members.

lost_in_translation Jan 3, 2017 8:15 am

All destinations were included previously (assuming that both a BA coded and BA operated flight was booked) - I don't believe the wording has changed in that regard, so hopefully they are again.

TravelManBiz Jan 3, 2017 8:32 am

Originally Posted by tropikey (Post 27697258)
@TravelManBiz

well, I hope my understanding of T&C is correct and all BA destinations are eligible as the first of 4 different categories of flights:

Subject to Clause 6, a Qualifying Flight is a published or corporate negotiated net fare flight in any selling class or cabin, with: (i) a BA prefix on a BA long-haul or short-haul operated service or (ii) a BA prefix on a transatlantic flight operated by BA, American Airlines (AA), Iberia (IB) or Finnair (AY) between the EU, Norway, Switzerland and North America, Mexico and Puerto Rico (iii) an OpenSkies service from Paris Orly to Newark or New York JFK (iv) all domestic and regional BA (operated by Comair) flights within South Africa. The promotion does not apply to travel on flights operated by any other BA franchisees, codeshare partners or oneworld Alliance members.

Ok, for sure me that have mistaken it then. I was looking at the BA promotion website and they they only mentioned EU and USA there. I did not read T&C well enough. But great news, since I am looking at a SIN flight:)

Virazuno Jan 3, 2017 10:22 am

Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89 (Post 27696632)
BA has edited the terms and conditions this morning to say “Triple Avios is available in all regions except UK&I and US as of 3 January 2017. Triple Avios will be available in UK&I and US as of 5 January 2017.”

I can't figure out any good reason for them to do this...:confused:

PETER01 Jan 3, 2017 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Virazuno (Post 27697948)
I can't figure out any good reason for them to do this...:confused:

Well, now that you have asked!

I spoke to a friend who used to work in BA Marketing (sorry, I'm not name dropping and not my style but I am just giving you where my info on this one came from) and did for a long time so knows what they're talking about. Sales and offers are generally launched on Thursday's, not always, although actual fares load from a Tuesday night into a Wednesday in reality. Looking at continental clubs sale history etc that certainly ties in re Thursdays!

As for this being a Global offer, given the BAEC membership size the answer I was given was that to do it all at once may crash the website/get errors so I suppose it makes sense to have two of the BAEC's largest groups to have different registering times. Although in this specific case it was launched all at once, well appeared to do so and has caused no doubt disappointment albeit temporarily.

xmrbrightside89 Jan 3, 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by PETER01 (Post 27698038)
Well, now that you have asked!

I spoke to a friend who used to work in BA Marketing (sorry, I'm not name dropping and not my style but I am just giving you where my info on this one came from) and did for a long time so knows what they're talking about. Sales and offers are generally launched on Thursday's, not always, although actual fares load from a Tuesday night into a Wednesday in reality. Looking at continental clubs sale history etc that certainly ties in re Thursdays!

As for this being a Global offer, given the BAEC membership size the answer I was given was that to do it all at once may crash the website/get errors so I suppose it makes sense to have two of the BAEC's largest groups to have different registering times. Although in this specific case it was launched all at once, well appeared to do so and has caused no doubt disappointment albeit temporarily.

I wonder tho, being a British company, wouldn't it make more sense to have the UK&I members to register first, and then a few days later... everybody else? Is this a crazy thought? :D

PETER01 Jan 3, 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by xmrbrightside89 (Post 27698100)
I wonder tho, being a British company, wouldn't it make more sense to have the UK&I members to register first, and then a few days later... everybody else? Is this a crazy thought? :D

That's a very good point but far too logical!! :D

I can't keep pestering him with questions all the time, as much as I like to :p

wytco0 Jan 3, 2017 1:19 pm

Has anyone done any analysis to see if there are any routes where this offer is more valuable? I assume that long routes with cheap (J&F) fares are the best but do any stand out?

kinchai Jan 3, 2017 2:36 pm

UK resident here, registration successful (21:30 GMT). Ticket booked last month, flying tomorrow. Will see if the bonus appears later on.

happy new year!

rockflyertalk Jan 3, 2017 5:14 pm

I look forward to finally signing up.

Just to clarify, as I can't make this out, but does this offer just apply to a flight between the EU and USA? Or.. say I take a LGW - JER flight, would the offer apply? i.e a SH flight.

Thanks, happy triple avios!

Skyrocker Jan 3, 2017 5:26 pm

In UK, and I just got successfully registered with the offer.

Calum Jan 3, 2017 7:31 pm

Also just got successfully registered after days of errors.

MeltingAlf Jan 3, 2017 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by kinchai (Post 27699335)
UK resident here, registration successful (21:30 GMT). Ticket booked last month, flying tomorrow. Will see if the bonus appears later on.

happy new year!

The FAQ seems to suggest that only new bookings apply (similar terms to the previous triple Avios offer) so I'm not entirely sure you'd be getting the bonus.

DorsetKnob Jan 3, 2017 10:36 pm

Yep all good now.

izzik Jan 3, 2017 10:42 pm

So, even though registrations appear successful for UK/US based members, it may not count as the start of the promotional period (per T&C)? Very confusing.

xenole Jan 4, 2017 12:07 am

Thank you, Mr Xenole, you are now registered for this offer.

Your registration has been unsuccessful, unfortunately you are not eligible for this offer.

Still getting this.

DrBenO Jan 4, 2017 12:22 am

Also still getting the 'unsuccessful' badge. Pain in the A as I need to book flights today!

Upupintheair Jan 4, 2017 12:49 am

Yep, works now, succesfully registered, now interested to see if the flights I booked a few days ago will get the triple Avios....we shall see.

Beano HK Jan 4, 2017 1:29 am

Success at 0828 GMT today.

"Thank you, Beano HK , you are now registered for this offer."

stimpy Jan 4, 2017 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Upupintheair (Post 27701590)
Yep, works now, succesfully registered, now interested to see if the flights I booked a few days ago will get the triple Avios....we shall see.

I would love it if that were true. But I guess all the tickets I purchased before registering are not going to net me any bonus miles. :(

xmrbrightside89 Jan 4, 2017 1:45 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27701681)
I would love it if that were true. But I guess all the tickets I purchased before registering are not going to net me any bonus miles. :(

Successfully registered as well!!! finally.

I would say you still get your bonus miles, I booked my partner the flight first and then a few hours later I registered him for the offer (as I completely forgot about it), and he still got his bonus miles no problem!:D

Upupintheair Jan 4, 2017 2:07 am

Originally Posted by stimpy (Post 27701681)

Yes, but having said that I 'registered' unsuccesfully on the day I booked the tickets so maybe that would help 😄

stimpy Jan 4, 2017 2:51 am

I bought these tickets a 2 or 3 weeks ago so I'm kind of doubtful. I did the same thing with the previous promo and got nothing.

patsharp Jan 4, 2017 6:00 am

Hi all,

I'm a bit (very) new to all of this and have been lurking for a while reading through the stickies to try to get up to speed.

I have a 241 voucher that I want to use early next year for a trip to Vegas in F but need to add a few avios to get there so this triple avios offer looks good to me. I think I'll have a little break somewhere warm in Feb to make the most of the flight

My plan:

Wait until tomrrow to regsiter
Book return flights from LON-MIA (for example) and get 3x avios (also using BAPP Amex if that makes any difference?)

Now my confusion lies in deciding whether to book Premium economy or Business, because the way I read the Ts and Cs, I will only get 3x the base and not 3x the business version?

Having opened up a can of worms, should I try to fly from MAD instead of LON because of not paying tax? I have got a bit baffled with this aspect to be honest. Hopefully it will sink in at some point

navylad Jan 4, 2017 12:17 pm

Success here too, just have to be careful not to book a MAN trip before any LH sectors.

navylad Jan 4, 2017 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by patsharp (Post 27702357)
Hi all,

I'm a bit (very) new to all of this and have been lurking for a while reading through the stickies to try to get up to speed.

I have a 241 voucher that I want to use early next year for a trip to Vegas in F but need to add a few avios to get there so this triple avios offer looks good to me. I think I'll have a little break somewhere warm in Feb to make the most of the flight

My plan:

Wait until tomrrow to regsiter
Book return flights from LON-MIA (for example) and get 3x avios (also using BAPP Amex if that makes any difference?)

Now my confusion lies in deciding whether to book Premium economy or Business, because the way I read the Ts and Cs, I will only get 3x the base and not 3x the business version?

Having opened up a can of worms, should I try to fly from MAD instead of LON because of not paying tax? I have got a bit baffled with this aspect to be honest. Hopefully it will sink in at some point

Your right, it is 3x base, therefore the Additional AVIOS will be the same no matter which class, but the overall AVIOS will be higher if you book into a higher class as will the TPs, together with the quality of the product (one hopes), up to you whether you value this or not, or to what extent, if it was purely for AVIOS that Y would be the best value for money for these flights, but only you can decide what you wish to gain from the flight based on your preferences, what you wish to earn from it, the comfort you wish to travel in and you financial constraints.

EMA ON BA Jan 4, 2017 1:37 pm

Based on experience from the equivalent promotion previously, does anyone know whether flights booked via an Optiontown flight pass are eligible for the offer?

Considering an example of a Gold booking a sector that earns the 500 mile minimum, am I right in thinking that the earnings would be:

(3 x 250) + 500 = 1,250 (1 to 7 day option)
or
(3x 500) + 500 = 2000 (Freedom option)

razflyer Jan 4, 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 27704203)
You're right, it is 3x base

What are base miles? The calculation link doesn't define the word 'base'. Presumably it's actual flown miles, which is what you get for flying Flex Economy as a Blue.

frasier Jan 4, 2017 1:52 pm

Finally successful for the offer - maybe worth retrying for others now also

Tiger_lily Jan 4, 2017 2:01 pm

Success here too 👍

navylad Jan 4, 2017 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by razflyer (Post 27704632)
What are base miles? The calculation link doesn't define the word 'base'. Presumably it's actual flown miles, which is what you get for flying Flex Economy as a Blue.

They are the AVIOS awarded for the flight prior to any Status or Class multiplier- i.e. what someone with blue status in Y would earn on an eligible flight.

Globaliser Jan 4, 2017 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by navylad (Post 27704761)

Originally Posted by razflyer (Post 27704632)

They are the AVIOS awarded for the flight prior to any Status or Class multiplier- i.e. what someone with blue status in Y would earn on an eligible flight.

The ba.com page actually has a worked example which I think explains how it works.

The ba.com example is for someone flying LHR-LAX-LHR in K, L, M, N, S or V class. They would normally earn 5,442 Avios. With the triple Avios offer they would earn 16,326 Avios.

Normally, a Blue flying in one of those classes would earn 50% (the distance of LHR-LAX-LHR is 5,442 x 2 = 10,884).

So the person in the worked example earns 50% of distance x 3.

I infer that if they were flying in Q, O or G, they would earn 25% of distance x 3 during the offer, and that if they were flying in Y, B or H they would earn 100% of distance x 3.

As the T&C say "Eligible Participants will receive triple Avios Points before any cabin or tier bonuses on all tickets except reward flights", my guess is that if you fly in WT+, CW or F, the "base miles" must be the same as for Y, B or H classes.

Is this how it worked last time?

Prospero Jan 4, 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 27704865)
As the T&C say "Eligible Participants will receive triple Avios Points before any cabin or tier bonuses on all tickets except reward flights", my guess is that if you fly in WT+, CW or F, the "base miles" must be the same as for Y, B or H classes.

That’s how it worked during last year’s promotion. Full fare Y tickets and above earned a promotional bonus of 2x base Avios

navylad Jan 4, 2017 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser (Post 27704865)
The ba.com page actually has a worked example which I think explains how it works.

The ba.com example is for someone flying LHR-LAX-LHR in K, L, M, N, S or V class. They would normally earn 5,442 Avios. With the triple Avios offer they would earn 16,326 Avios.

Normally, a Blue flying in one of those classes would earn 50% (the distance of LHR-LAX-LHR is 5,442 x 2 = 10,884).

So the person in the worked example earns 50% of distance x 3.

I infer that if they were flying in Q, O or G, they would earn 25% of distance x 3 during the offer, and that if they were flying in Y, B or H they would earn 100% of distance x 3.

Indeed, then if they were in higher status, they would earn their additional tier status or in a higher cabin, have this additional AVIOS added based on the usual rate in addition.