Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Your guide to spending Avios | 2017 edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2017, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
I have a household account, with myself and 2 young daughters in the account.

I'm a little confused by this line:

I want to book 6 tickets, 2 adults, 2 grandparents, 2 kids from BLI to OGG on AS with Avios.

In this case, we all happen to live at the same address, but does this mean that I have to create accounts and add everyone to the family account to book them?
Yes.
And if they didn't live at the same address, you would have had to add them to the "Family and Friends" list
Old Jan 21, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by bluemeansgo
I have a household account, with myself and 2 young daughters in the account.

I'm a little confused by this line:

I want to book 6 tickets, 2 adults, 2 grandparents, 2 kids from BLI to OGG on AS with Avios.

In this case, we all happen to live at the same address, but does this mean that I have to create accounts and add everyone to the family account to book them?
Originally Posted by Lefly
Yes.
And if they didn't live at the same address, you would have had to add them to the "Family and Friends" list
Even if everybody doesn't live at the same address you can still just add them to your friends and family list. For example, if your grandparents have their own accounts and don't want to become part of your household account then just add them to your F & F.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Originally Posted by elc2414
Well, I guess that teaches me the lesson that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. I should have researched the offer a little closer, because I missed the part where it can only be used on BA flights. The closest airport to me that BA services is 400 miles away, so it's pretty useless for me since I have no desire to go to or through LHR and pay all their ridiculous fees.

Thanks for the information anyway.
If you were just travelling through on one ticket there would be no LHR fees to pay.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Even if everybody doesn't live at the same address you can still just add them to your friends and family list. For example, if your grandparents have their own accounts and don't want to become part of your household account then just add them to your F & F.
Ah, that makes sense. The household account merely allows us to pool the points. Thanks for the follow up.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Don't even get me started on BA Reward Flights! I've just spent the best part of half an hour trying to book *any* route from LHR to SFO. I looked at Avios plus money and complete Avios payment. I am looking at August, Sept, Oct 2017 - relatively flexible with the timing here.

What I would like to do is to get (at least one leg of the flight) in CW and pay for a WT ticket. I am literally coming up zilch!

I read your guide thoroughly and I am so stuck *sigh*. (thanks for the great guide by the way!) Is it normal that it will be near impossible to use Avios to score an upgrade to CW? The shame is that we just flew to Cuba for New Years and I could do it with Virgin no trouble. I also used to hold a QANTAS account back when I lived in Oz and upgrading with them was not too much trouble either. Am I missing something obvious with BA?

Cheers

Caz
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA S, VS S, SQ G, HH D, IHG D/A, Marriott G, Radisson G, Hertz PC
Caz - have you looked at flying to SJC instead? Generally much better availability than SFO and not that far away.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 8:36 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Also look at LGW-OAK.

Bear in mind you can't upgrade with avios from WT to CW, you can only upgrade one cabin using avios, so WTP to CW.

Your options are:
- reward booking in to to SFO/SJC/OAK which would cost 62,500 (off-peak) or 75,000 (peak) avios and taxes, fees, and charges per person
- revenue WTP booking then upgrade with avios to CW
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold
Thanks everyone! I went searching and found availability for a single person in Club World for a return journey from LON to SJC (actually that's where we're ultimately going anyway - silly me just thought that SFO might be more accessible!) Unfortunately there are 2 of us travelling though. Using money plus Avios it would have been 125,000 Avios plus GBP570 for a return ticket in Club World (with other options for a reduced Avios spend as I up the money invested). The thing is that these reward flights seem to be so rare they are an almost mythical being - is that correct or do I just need to persevere and be lucky?
Old Jan 24, 2017, 9:13 am

BA always release two CW seats at 355 days out, others may come up after then, sadly not always predictable! Any flexibility with your travel dates?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:11 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by EDIflyer
BA always release two CW seats at 355 days out, others may come up after then, sadly not always predictable! Any flexibility with your travel dates?
Apologies if already addressed but does this mean that you basically need to book two singles?

Surely if you wait until the return seats are available then the outbound ones will be gone.

Like another poster, I'm beginning to think that non-economy reward flights don't actually exist, in reality.

I have 140k avios and have looked at GLA to CPT for Oct/Nov/Dec and BKK for Dec/Jan and getting SFA

It makes no sense to book an economy ticket, with avios, as BA's fees and taxes, alone, are more than a whole flight from the likes of Emirates.

Last edited by General Zod; Jan 25, 2017 at 7:20 am
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:14 am

It depends on how popular your route is - some go straight away but plenty of others will have seats sitting there for ages so you could wait to book a return. High volume routes like US East Coast are definitely easy ones.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by General Zod
Apologies if already addressed but does this mean that you basically need to book two singles?

Surely if you wait until the return seats are available then the outbound ones will be gone.

Like another poster, I'm beginning to think that non-economy reward flights don't actually exist, in reality.
Book the outbound when released and call to add the inbound to your booking when they get released a few days later.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
Book the outbound when released and call to add the inbound to your booking when they get released a few days later.
Thanks for the heads up.

So I've manged to find a single to BKK for 13/01/17 for me and the better half (i have a companion voucher) and it's quoting 75k avios + £800 fees/taxes.

Do you think it's likely to be the same cost (75k + £800) for the return leg or will it be less as it's part of the same booking/trip?
Old Jan 25, 2017, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by General Zod
Thanks for the heads up.

So I've manged to find a single to BKK for 13/01/17 for me and the better half (i have a companion voucher) and it's quoting 75k avios + £800 fees/taxes.

Do you think it's likely to be the same cost (75k + £800) for the return leg or will it be less as it's part of the same booking/trip?
In terms of avios your return will cost either 75k avios in J if it is an off-peak date and 90k avios in J for a peak date.

In terms of taxes, fees, and charges (TFC) this is not simply TFC for one way LHR-BKK + TFC for BKK-LHR. It will basically be the TFC for a return booking and the same as what you would pay for a revenue booking. What you therefore will pay when you add the return will be TFC for a LHR-BKK-LHR trip minus what you have already paid.

If I do a dummy revenue booking for LHR-BKK-LHR in J the TFC is £558.67 per person so expect to pay approximately (2x£558.67)- £800.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
In terms of avios your return will cost either 75k avios in J if it is an off-peak date and 90k avios in J for a peak date.

In terms of taxes, fees, and charges (TFC) this is not simply TFC for one way LHR-BKK + TFC for BKK-LHR. It will basically be the TFC for a return booking and the same as what you would pay for a revenue booking. What you therefore will pay when you add the return will be TFC for a LHR-BKK-LHR trip minus what you have already paid.

If I do a dummy revenue booking for LHR-BKK-LHR in J the TFC is £558.67 per person so expect to pay approximately (2x£558.67)- £800.
Gotcha!

One last thing. If i book an outbound single today (for the furthest ahead in the calendar you can go in Jan 2018) will i have to wait 2 weeks to call them to book the return (for a 2 week trip) or do the seats get released to the telephone agents before they appear to Joe Public on the web site?

I hope that Q makes sense!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.