Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2017 BA compensation thread: Your guide to Regulation EC261/2004

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2017, 7:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by markle
He reported downthread that he was told by phone comp wouldn't be paid, with the Twitter CS backpedalling a bit thereafter...
That's probably a misunderstanding somewhere down the line. My understanding is that BA are not yet paying compensation, until the High Paid Helps have ruled on the subject.
Old May 31, 2017, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by dward85
I assume I should ask for the €600 from the eu261, a refund for the original return, hotel and food expenses.
I am also going to request disruption expenses (food), compensation under EU261 and reimbursement for cancelled flight. Would you suggest that I claim for all three items separately or together in a single email / letter to CR.

I don't want BA to pay one item out, and acceptance of that meaning that I prejudice the claim of the other two items.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:08 am

I've been asking this on a few sites now but not got definitive answer yet.

Was flying LAS>LHR>GLA on the 28th. Due to an issue which BA advised us was their fault and related to the IT problems, they didn’t have tickets for our connecting flight so were re-booked on the next available LHR>GLA flight that was 9 hours after the original time.

I decided that this was unacceptable and no longer required the connecting flight and instead walked out the airport at LHR, was only planning on visiting family for the one night. So I wasn’t re-booked.

Am I entitled to any compensation besides a refund for that flight? Everything I’m reading suggests I’m not, that I would only get the 600 Euros if I decided to fly. Would seem a bit unfair in my view as I was still put out by BA’s mistake in the end.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold
I submitted a claim for expenses and EU261 compensation on 29th after my LHR-ABZ fight was cancelled and rebooked for the following day.

Received a phone call today, they wouldn't pay more than the £25 per day for food but didn't push this as it was only £4. Everything else was paid out including the EU261 compensation.

This was a reward booking in CE and I ended up flying Flybe, the UK based woman I spoke to sent a request for the Avios and tax difference to be refunded but have not heard regarding this.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:41 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by callum86
I submitted a claim for expenses and EU261 compensation on 29th after my LHR-ABZ fight was cancelled and rebooked for the following day.

Received a phone call today, they wouldn't pay more than the £25 per day for food but didn't push this as it was only £4. Everything else was paid out including the EU261 compensation.

This was a reward booking in CE and I ended up flying Flybe, the UK based woman I spoke to sent a request for the Avios and tax difference to be refunded but have not heard regarding this.
By EU261 comp do you mean the 300/600 eur etc, not the duty of care provisions? If so then you are the first person we have heard of to get EU261 as a result of last Saturday and I would say that flies in the face of the high level decision not yet being taken.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:54 am

Given that it was LHR-ABZ it was €250. Obviously I can only comment on the conversation I had with BA.
Old May 31, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by RedArrowX
I've been asking this on a few sites now but not got definitive answer yet.

Was flying LAS>LHR>GLA on the 28th. Due to an issue which BA advised us was their fault and related to the IT problems, they didn’t have tickets for our connecting flight so were re-booked on the next available LHR>GLA flight that was 9 hours after the original time.

I decided that this was unacceptable and no longer required the connecting flight and instead walked out the airport at LHR, was only planning on visiting family for the one night. So I wasn’t re-booked.

Am I entitled to any compensation besides a refund for that flight? Everything I’m reading suggests I’m not, that I would only get the 600 Euros if I decided to fly. Would seem a bit unfair in my view as I was still put out by BA’s mistake in the end.
Bit of a cheek after you'd planned part of this in advance

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-my-trip.html
Old May 31, 2017, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Bit of a cheek after you'd planned part of this in advance

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...g-my-trip.html
I did initially, but my plans changed as I didn't get time to visit my family prior to the trip so had planned to do so on my return to the country.
Old May 31, 2017, 9:44 am

Wonder if someone could attempt to clarify my claim.

I was due to fly Saturday at 11:35 to Madrid BA510. Returning Monday late evening. Obviously outbound was cancelled and we were stuck in LHR for 11 hours. There was no opportunity to rebook whilst at the airport due to the total failure, and early sunday madrid flights were already cancelled or severely delayed so we abandoned the trip as it would only give us circa a day in madrid.

This trip was for a myself, my partner and two friends. It was a hotline ticket (not sure that makes a difference) costing £437.64 for all of us
My hotel in Madrid was non-refundable €384.60 (EUR), and i 'wasted' a heathrow express ticket (duo-saver) at £54

I'd like to claim for all of these as i feel BA made me incur costs which were unnecessary and kept me 'imprisoned' in heathrow for 11 hours. I will also claim for EU261 cancellation compensation separately.

I have already spoken to Nationwide travel insurance, who said myself and partner would likely be covered but we would need to pay £50 each, excess. My two friends would not be covered understandably as part of my travel insurance.

I realise that BA will refund the flight and should pay up for the EU261. However

1) Are BA likely to pay for the hotel and HEX ticket? as there were no options to rebook a flight , i called the madrid hotel and they basically said its non-refundable rate so you've lost it if you dont turn up (they said i maybe able to use the 2nd night if BA got me out there...but clearly that wasnt going to happen). Plus HEX, i obviously made a pointless trip on HEX which cost me cash - had BA informed me earlier i could have reused the ticket at a later date.
2) If the answer to part 1 is NO, then i would at least like to claim back the £50x2 excess which my travel insurance would charge me back from BA. speculative likelihood?

My friends incurred their own hotel costs (1st night points redemption, 2nd one flexible) which i assume they would need to claim separately from BA
and therefore
3) Should i claim for my and partners EU261 only and let them claim their own (i assume thats sensible)
4) Is it worth speaking to someone on the Gold Line in advance or should i just submit an online claim?

THanks in advance
GavT
Old May 31, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BA (GGL, CCR & G4LIFE), VS (Gold4life), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Spire Elite), SPG (Plat)
I put in a claim for expenses yesterday on my 25hr delays on Saturday coming back from TXL to LHR in Club Europe (avios ticket) via GGL who put me through to CR and got the expenses validated immediately and call today saying the payment had been processed.

However they also told me NO decision has been made at group level for the EU261 part of ANY claim so am surprised someone has already been paid out on this....
Old May 31, 2017, 2:31 pm

Programs: TK *G, BA Gold
The pictures at the start of this thread for 11.2 (cancellations) could be improved. The pictures show that the compensation rates are reduced by 50% if the delay is not that long, but there is also the rule of 0e compensation if you are put on a flight that arrives less than 2h later than the original flight.

The picture that shows flights < 1500km with 125e for delays 0->2h is wrong. It's zero euro for delays 0>2h. The 50% rule makes no sense for flights under 1500km since the regulation 5.1.c.iii means the amount of compensation is 0e. It's either 0e or 250e depending on the delay.
For flights 1500-3500, there is 0e for 0-2h, then 200e for 2h-3h and 400e for 3h and more.
Similar for flights > 3500km, there is a 0-2h band with 0e compensation.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:44 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mergetrip
I am also going to request disruption expenses (food), compensation under EU261 and reimbursement for cancelled flight. Would you suggest that I claim for all three items separately or together in a single email / letter to CR.

I don't want BA to pay one item out, and acceptance of that meaning that I prejudice the claim of the other two items.
I don't see any prejudice here, if you split it up you will get the right of care expenses quite quickly, and flight cancellation refund not long after. All components are mandated in law, subject to extraordinary circumstances for the compensation aspect. So I would send all 3 in via the links above, by all means cross referencing them. The flight cancellation refund may require a telephone call.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GavT_london
I have already spoken to Nationwide travel insurance, who said myself and partner would likely be covered but we would need to pay £50 each, excess. My two friends would not be covered understandably as part of my travel insurance.

I realise that BA will refund the flight and should pay up for the EU261. However
OK, this is boxed into some specific points, but let's start with the basics: BA owe you compensation under Article 7 (probably, TBC); refund on your flight tickets and rebooking you to the place you started from if applicable. Also right of care. It is not directly responsible for your consequential losses, for which you rightly have insurance, nor are they responsible for the excess on your insurance, however the Article 7 compensation should mean you won't be directly out of pocket here. You can also ask for customer service remediation for the 11 hour hassle factor.

For your travel companions, unless they have the same family name as you then they best pursue it independently, it will be slowed down if you take it on with the need for authorisation from the different parties.

The Gold line, or rather Customer Relations can sort of the flight refund and right of care, the latter can be done online for sure. There is a link upthread on Article 7 compensation too, at this stage CR can't assist on this until we have been advised differently. CR can also deal with customer service remediation
Old May 31, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The flight cancellation refund may require a telephone call.
Thanks. Assume I can do it through CR link too, as mine is the rtn the avios leg using Amex241 and I don't think the number of Avios I expect to receive to be forthcoming.
Old May 31, 2017, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mergetrip
Thanks. Assume I can do it through CR link too, as mine is the rtn the avios leg using Amex241 and I don't think the number of Avios I expect to receive to be forthcoming.
I think a telephone call will be in order to sort that out. UK Lunchtime is sometimes the quietest time to call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.