Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In WAW should be in KRK...!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
In WAW should be in KRK...!

Thanks for your help in advance...

Sitting on BA 873 to Krakow, fog diversion so now on runway at Warsaw waiting for stairs.

It seems crew will be out of hours so they think will go back to LHR empty...

Expecting buses put on for the 4-5 hour journey. BUT I have a 5+10 yr old with me who will get very road sick.

- Is it unreasonable/impractical to sort out the trains for our selves and claim back?
- And possibly a hotel in Warsaw tonight.

Real fears that an outstation trying to organise buses for 180 people will mean chaos and 4am arrival. We have a hotel booked in Krakow. All advice tips especially with kids appreciated.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:22 am

In the big scheme of things, might it be worth arranging the train at your own expense now, and hoping for the best for a claim from BA?

That way you get what you would prefer no matter what, although I suspect it is unlikely that BA will pay out in this instance.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:27 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
What about flying direct with LO from WAW to KTW?

The price of the flight leaving today at 2240 CET is £32.70 if you choose the Economy Saver fare. That's only a few pounds more than you'd pay for the train, which would take around 150 minutes if you get one of the Pendolino trains (the flight takes 50).

That assumes KTW isn't closed due to fog also but obviously you'd be able to check that at WAW before purchasing your tickets. My advice would be to head to one of the LOT information desks to ask about getting the KTW flight.

Katowice is much closer to Krakow so you could pick up a short journey there via train (bus is better from the airport and maybe your son could handle it if it's a shorter trip?)

Last edited by yurtripper; Dec 21, 2016 at 11:30 am Reason: Added info for getting to KTW
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Just bumped into the pilot, they've been dumped here as well. I missed the guy giving out leaflets....
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Actually scrub what I said - I just checked the timetables and the train connections from KTW to KRK don't look that good at this time of day.

So probably best just to hop on one of the express trains direct to Krakow Glowny.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Ok update. Found the crew. Found a helpful person. Have been put in the Marriott across the road from the airport and we fly to Krakow tomorrow morning. Unexpected nightstop for us and crew.

And despite not finding anyone giving out leaflets ( they were apparently) once located assistance BA came up good. We're being fed and accommodated in a decent hotel ( not everyone on flight at airport but I pulled the kids card). BA maybe going loco but for an irrops they are miles ahead of anyone else.

Thanks for help (LOT ticket desk said flight to krk tonight full...)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:51 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it comes to taking a train, it's not a bad option in terms of getting to Kraków, the train system is a bit like stepping back in time, but I'm sure the kids would enjoy it, the countryside is a bit boring after a while, but it's only just over a two hour ride, and the station is close to the centre of the city.

I know that hotel well, it's only a Courtyard, but it's at the top end of that particular chain, and right next to the terminal building. Quite suitable for the circumstances, though I'm sure you are keen to get to Kraków.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
the train system is a bit like stepping back in time
If the OP is used to the train system in Britain, then getting on a train in Poland could, instead, be a [more than] positively surprising experience

G
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:01 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The BA872 has diverted to WAW. The flight will remain in WAW overnight, come down to KRK on the morning and fly todays 873, departing KRK around 11:30 tomorrow morning (prob dep WaW around 10am but this is a guess based on the projected departure time from KRK I saw)

All LOT flights, WAW KRK from early afternoon till and end of day cancelled

unfortunately this does happen at KRK from time to time

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 21, 2016 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If it comes to taking a train, it's not a bad option in terms of getting to Kraków, the train system is a bit like stepping back in time, but I'm sure the kids would enjoy it, the countryside is a bit boring after a while, but it's only just over a two hour ride, and the station is close to the centre of the city.

I know that hotel well, it's only a Courtyard, but it's at the top end of that particular chain, and right next to the terminal building. Quite suitable for the circumstances, though I'm sure you are keen to get to Kraków.
Not so much back in time now if you get one of the frequent Pendalinos!
But yes if you end up on the TLK!!

Last edited by scottishpoet; Dec 21, 2016 at 4:17 pm
Old Dec 21, 2016, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Not so much back in time now if you get one of the frequent Pendalinos!
But yes if you end up on the TLK!!
Getting a TLK train ( 2h40 time ride) is the chance like 3 to 22.
There are 22 train services from Warsaw to Krakow daily and 3 of them are those "dreaded" TLK
Pendolino time ride is 2h16.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Ok update. Found the crew. Found a helpful person. Have been put in the Marriott across the road from the airport and we fly to Krakow tomorrow morning. Unexpected nightstop for us and crew.

And despite not finding anyone giving out leaflets ( they were apparently) once located assistance BA came up good. We're being fed and accommodated in a decent hotel ( not everyone on flight at airport but I pulled the kids card). BA maybe going loco but for an irrops they are miles ahead of anyone else.

Thanks for help (LOT ticket desk said flight to krk tonight full...)
"pulled the kids card"? Sounds like a colleague at work, "I'll be off on Monday as I'll pretend one of my kids is ill".
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:01 am
Original Poster

Passengers went to two hotels - one a busride away one 10 metres away. Happy to request the closer one as 'the kids are really tired'

They were. Anyway an etd of 11.00 today. Hopefully the fog has lifted. I seem to have a disproportionate amount of airport hotels at BA's expense. Always, I should add, well handled. Some passengers are very irate, not sure what BA could have done better (bar some initial improved communication).
Old Dec 22, 2016, 12:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Safe journey to Krakow today! Hope the fog clears.
Old Dec 22, 2016, 1:06 am

The fog has cleared, visibility is about 7km this morning

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.