Search

lost passport DUB - LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold
lost passport DUB - LHR

Hi all,

A friend has lost their Indian passport while travelling in Ireland. They have photocopies etc of all the relevant pages. Is there a way that they will be able to board a BA flight without the actual passport? Or which other forms of identification could they provide?

I know that you arrive in LHR as a domestic passenger so I am not worried about that, just getting onto the plane in the first place.

Thanks a lot,
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:54 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Im sorry, I dont think so. Maybe some ID if UK resident, tho I really dont know. Sounds horrible position to be in - I lost my passport once, but the crew found it for me, so I kinda understand. Hope all goes ok in the end.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
Assuming that your friends have no other citizenship besides Indian, no, they will not be permitted to board the aircraft without a valid passport. I strongly recommend getting help from the local Indian consulate.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:43 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
Don't need a passport to travel from Dub to LHR. Some airline will demand a passport. BA and EI do not.

Some ID - even just a bus pass! will be fine. No passport control at LHR for arrival from Eire.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:45 pm

Programs: Executive Club, Miles&More
Going the other way (UK-Dub), the arrival is not segregated so I always end up showing my passport in DUB. Different story going back to UK
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The passenger is required to have a valid passport in order to enter the UK

Whether able to avoid being caught on departure of Ireland/entry into UK , this doesn't change. If caught on entry to UK , could end up with penalties that would be rather undesired; it could also be detected on exit from UK

Go to the Indian Consulate and get a replacement passport
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by studentflyer96
Hi all,
. Is there a way that they will be able to board a BA flight without the actual passport?

without pussy footing around this.

NO.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Why on earth would any foreign national not take immediate measures to obtain a temporary passport replacing document, followed by a permanent replacement? Whether he has scheduled travel upcoming or not.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:22 pm

Programs: BA silver, VS, Jet, Carlson gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Reality_Czech
Don't need a passport to travel from Dub to LHR. Some airline will demand a passport. BA and EI do not.

Some ID - even just a bus pass! will be fine. No passport control at LHR for arrival from Eire.
This is not actually true at all for foreign nationals.

The Common Travel Area which exists between the UK and Ireland, means that there are no passport controls in operation for Irish and UK citizens travelling between the 2 countries.

To travel between Ireland and the U.K. with photo identification other than a passport (or an EEA National Identity card), you must have been born in Ireland or the U.K. and also be a citizen of either country (quoted from the Aer Lingus website).

The fact that nationality isn't always checked when travelling, doesn't mean that foreign nationals are legally allowed to travel between the UK and Ireland passport free.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 8:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
Why on earth would any foreign national not take immediate measures to obtain a temporary passport replacing document, followed by a permanent replacement? Whether he has scheduled travel upcoming or not.
What is there to say that the passport has not just been discovered as missing
Old Dec 19, 2016, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
I can easily see that if one lived in London but lost passport while away in, say, Edinburgh, it would quite make sense to return home to London and sort it out from there (could require multiple consulate visits etc).

So the question is, given the CTA arrangement, is OP's friend allowed to do the same in returning from Dublin, as if from somewhere in the UK. It appears from responses above that the answer is no, but I wouldn't have known that off the top of my head.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:10 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Flew LHR-DUB out of T1 a while back, was told "no passport / ID no boarding". It was in the ts and cs as well. Ireland don't treat UK arrivals the same way we treat CTA arrivals.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:10 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
I can easily see that if one lived in London but lost passport while away in, say, Edinburgh, it would quite make sense to return home to London and sort it out from there (could require multiple consulate visits etc).

So the question is, given the CTA arrangement, is OP's friend allowed to do the same in returning from Dublin, as if from somewhere in the UK. It appears from responses above that the answer is no, but I wouldn't have known that off the top of my head.
The way the border work, as described above about CTA, your friend will not be able to travel DUB-LHR.

He will however be fine if he takes a train to BFS and travels on BA BFS-LHR without luggage (as for luggage check he needs an ID), as there are no iD checks on train or plane from Belfast.

He can also go and take train+ferry from Dublin to London without an ID check.

He will need to get his documents sorted asap after getting to London, provided thats where he resides.
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Is their need to get back to London so great as to risk prosecution for immigration offences which could in theory lead to deportation ?
Old Dec 20, 2016, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Fitch
Is their need to get back to London so great as to risk prosecution for immigration offences which could in theory lead to deportation ?
Given there is no Indian embassy in Ireland and the person may require an extended stay to await temporary documents given Christmas posting dates, the answer is may be yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.