Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LGW First Class Check In

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat.
LGW First Class Check In

26/11 at the front of the First Class check going to BGI. Two of three check in agents were busy. I waited patiently for the third agent to call me. But instead he looked me in my face, raised his arm and yelled to the Club check in line for the next person. This is not the first time this has happened to me and I've had similar occurrences from BA ground staff in Manchester, Boston, Toronto and Florida.

I'm a short, black larger than average woman who although British born has an American accent. I don't know which one of these attributes is contributing to the treatment I'm receiving but I feel rotten 40% of the time I travel with BA.

On the 26th the most empathetic BA member of staff I've encountered tried to assure that diversity training is provided but sigh.

This manager submitted a complaint on my behalf that was disregarded with the usual aloofness BA dispenses. I've also highlighted my experiences to my corporation's travel department.

Is it worth reaching out to Virgin in hopes of having my status matched?
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I feel sure that your sex and ethnicity has nothing to do with your treatment however you obviously feel differently.
I wonder in the white male 30 year old businessmen behind you that received the same treatment would read into this as you have?
However I am sorry that you feel you were treated badly.

Last edited by Can I help you; Dec 13, 2016 at 9:46 am Reason: Whoops
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
VS won't match your BA status.

They do offer accelerated status but basically that's still pro-rata to the annual requirement - you still have to earn the tier points.

BTW if that was me waiting I would have just walked up to the desk.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
I can see how the OP would take it personally.

However the reality is that it's not personal.

I used to feel the same when we travelled more prior to having a family, mortgage etc. in fact we had similar experiences at MAN, LHR, FCO, SFO and JFK. Never LGW strangely.

We mostly put it down to being young and not always dressing as if we should be in CW/CE or F etc. certainly on several occasions we were ignored. Served after stereotype gold, suited and booted 45-55 year old slightly overweight white male was checked in for his Y flight etc

These things Happen. Grin. Look elsewhere and see if the grass really is greener etc

cs
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver - hard drop from GGL :( SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC E50k
Originally Posted by mmcc
26/11 at the front of the First Class check going to BGI. Two of three check in agents were busy. I waited patiently for the third agent to call me. But instead he looked me in my face, raised his arm and yelled to the Club check in line for the next person. This is not the first time this has happened to me and I've had similar occurrences from BA ground staff in Manchester, Boston, Toronto and Florida.

I'm a short, black larger than average woman who although British born has an American accent. I don't know which one of these attributes is contributing to the treatment I'm receiving but I feel rotten 40% of the time I travel with BA.

On the 26th the most empathetic BA member of staff I've encountered tried to assure that diversity training is provided but sigh.

This manager submitted a complaint on my behalf that was disregarded with the usual aloofness BA dispenses. I've also highlighted my experiences to my corporation's travel department.

Is it worth reaching out to Virgin in hopes of having my status matched?
Maybe he/she noticed that the Club person had been standing there for ages, and felt empathy. I wouldn't read into it too much (but again, I was not there, so cannot judge). I travel from Toronto all the time, and every now and then somebody gets pulled up from Club to the First counter ahead of me, no biggie (I'm a tall, Caucasian, average built man with a Canadian accent). If I am in a rush, or feel that the other person butted the line, I may say "excuse me", otherwise, it is all the same. Just be grateful you are not in the YYZ WT scrimmage. However, there have been times when my favorite gate agent checks in WT, and those times (assuming I have time), I will happily wait in line for a friendly smile... it is those little smiles and "Hello Mr LondonCanuck, how are you?", that keeps me flying BA...

Again, I am by no means trying to degrade your complaint! Just provide my perspective. But, if you do go for a status match with VS, do let us know how they respond to your reasoning why you are bailing

Oh, and in reply to CIHY... I am a white businessman in my 30s...

Last edited by LondonCanuck; Dec 13, 2016 at 8:35 am Reason: Responding to CIHY's comment
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, AA Exec Plat, Marriott Plat.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I feel sure that you sex and enthusiastically has nothing to do with your treatment however you obviously feel differently.
I wonder in the white male 30 year old businessmen behind you that received the same treatment would read into this as you have?
However I am sorry that you feel you were treated badly.
If someone was behind me, I wouldn't have felt slighted.

After I was eventually checked in, I sat down and observed and this didn't happen to any other passengers. All First Class passengers were promptly serviced.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
I'm sorry to read this mmcc. I have never had any poor treatment from BA staff (I too am a black woman) though other groups e.g. US CBP are another matter. I'd like to think I'd challenge the person on the spot*, its the quickest way to get a resolution and the discriminator doesn't get to hide behind a faceless corporates apology.

Did you speak to the check in person directly?

*politey and firmly, no angry woman stereotypes need to be invoked
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:52 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
All First Class passengers were promptly serviced.
A true BA enhancement
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Maybe he/she noticed that the Club person had been standing there for ages, and felt empathy.

So what? It's a first class line and first class passengers should get served first. You're stretching it with that explanation, really
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: Avios. Emirates. Starwood. Qatar Airways. IHG
Complain to BA

As someone that is not white, I can say that one thing I don’t like, is when my suspicions of racism are dismissed out of hand by people who have no basis to go on

@mmcc , the fact is, that if you were a white male, and in a suit, then this situation would probably happen to you a lot less.

With regards to status matching Virgin, there is no reason to think that Virgin staff will be any better

If you are upset (and I think you are), I suggest that you post a message to their Twitter account. Something like ‘Flew 1st class with BA. Forced to wait behind white Club World passengers AGAIN! My complaints ignored AGAIN’
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LondonCanuck
Maybe he/she noticed that the Club person had been standing there for ages, and felt empathy.
What's that got to do with it?

F desks should only deal with CW passengers when there are no F passengers waiting.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 8:58 am

After I was eventually checked in, I sat down and observed and this didn't happen to any other passengers. All First Class passengers were promptly serviced.
Of course we will never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if you were treated differently. All credit to you for raising it here though.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques

What I meant is that you don't know who was behind you or if they were treated the same way as you, you assume it was because of your sex and ethnicity which is something you will never know.

Last edited by Can I help you; Dec 13, 2016 at 9:47 am Reason: Whoops
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:25 am

-- --

Last edited by QPRfan; Nov 6, 2018 at 8:58 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 9:28 am
dsf

Programs: Nowt of note.
I feel sure that your sex and enthusiastically has nothing to do with your treatment
you assume it was because of your sex and enthusiastically
That auto-complete for 'ethnicity' needs some work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.