Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Wing at T5

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
I'm not sure if this is a result of the new First Wing, but I checked in there on Wednesday afternoon with 3 cases and a large box. When I said that I would need to take the box to the outsize area the agent at checkin said not to worry, she would take care of it. If this is a new policy it is another big improvement. Needless to say the security is amazing and the table for reorganising bags is very welcome. The whole experience is an incredible improvement on what we had previously (and the walk to the CCR is not really longer than in the past, but I do hope the door remains for connecting passengers as that will really be a nuisance).
Old May 2, 2017, 12:00 pm
Formerly known as linzbh

Programs: BAEC GGL, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Used just at 18:30 with only 1 other passenger. Only annoying thing is I spent 10mins with guest services who insisted I as an Australian Passport holder needed a visa to Dubai. Which I do but get a tourist and business visa on arrival like the previous times I have travelled to Dubai. I had to pull up the BA provided website that even says this. Something seriously wrong with whatever new systems they are using and I don't think it's FLY (otherwise an update) it's only happened since the first wing opened...

http://visacentral.co.uk/travel-visa-search-results.php
Old May 2, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, HHonors Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Silver
Used the First Wing yesterday and agree it is a huge improvement. Whilst the check-in area is ok and the security now really is fast track the thing I noticed most was how happy the staff (both BA and security) were to be working in the new environment. Really does show what happens when you make the working environment better....
Old May 2, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver, IHG Spire Ambassador, Accor Silver, Hyatt Explorist
First time through the new First Wing this evening and love it! Had dropped a bag off and was through security quicker than it took me to get from HEX to the First Wing.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Yellowbelly
Used the First Wing yesterday and agree it is a huge improvement. Whilst the check-in area is ok and the security now really is fast track the thing I noticed most was how happy the staff (both BA and security) were to be working in the new environment. Really does show what happens when you make the working environment better....
Came through last night for the 1st time. Liked the facility & have to agree the staff definitely seemed brighter & very helpful. Made you feel like they were actually enjoying their jobs.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:47 am

Programs: BAEC
Came through this morning and it was a breeze. They also ensured I knew to go on to the CCR as I'm in first today.

I was actually connecting and thought I'd go landslide as the flight connections queue was huge and there was no queue for the passport machines.

Total time from door open, UK border, first wing to CCR was about 17 minutes, most of that being the walk from plane to border.
Old May 3, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by mikebg
When I said that I would need to take the box to the outsize area the agent at checkin said not to worry, she would take care of it. If this is a new policy it is another big improvement.
IME yes I believe it is a new policy. I went through the F Wing a couple of weeks ago with mrs and little dca100. We had a car seat in a large carrying bag and a travel cot, both of which usually have to go through the outsize area. A porter promptly materialised at check-in to whisk them away which was very much appreciated. ^
Old May 3, 2017, 4:12 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
Originally Posted by Beansprout
Came through this morning and it was a breeze. They also ensured I knew to go on to the CCR as I'm in first today.

I was actually connecting and thought I'd go landslide as the flight connections queue was huge and there was no queue for the passport machines.

Total time from door open, UK border, first wing to CCR was about 17 minutes, most of that being the walk from plane to border.
Did exactly that last week during peak times when Flight Connections would be an absolute nightmare.

I had a slightly shorter walk as ended up in the F lounge. Some comments I have heard is why should there be a need to enter the UK for a transit.

As soon as Flight Connections is made more human, with a real and dedicated fast track, I will likely exit / enter during peak times, using the wonderful new First Wing...
Old May 3, 2017, 4:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Premier Owl
Some comments I have heard is why should there be a need to enter the UK for a transit.
There isn't a need, it is just an alternative route, and only available to those who are able to freely enter the UK.

As soon as Flight Connections is made more human, with a real and dedicated fast track, I will likely exit / enter during peak times, using the wonderful new First Wing...
T5 FCC already has a dedicated fast track for those transiting the UK (i.e. doing an INT-INT connection). It is at the far right of FCC. I used it last week when doing HKG-LHR-BRU and there was no queue. This then leads to the escalators to north security which is the fast track route - the route to south security is normal track.

INT-DOM connections have no fast track up to immigration, but beyond immigration there is fast track as you head up to north security.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:03 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), SPG (Lifetime Plat), Star Alliance, One World, Virgin (Gold)
@KARFA, Flight Connections Fast Track is a dedicated Fast Track at the discretion of HAL & whether there is anyone policing the top of the escalators. I have often arrived at the top of the escalator only to be held back by the "guard" filtering overflow economy passengers. I have also been told to join the economy Q's AFTER economy passengers have been filtered across. Flight Connections, especially at busy times, remains a nightmare.

I agree though when you arrived from HKG, it was empty. I will be on a HKG to LHR flight next week, with a transit to Europe. At 5 am in the morning, I will use the Flight Connections. Last time I used it, it was not even open, but there again, LHR is not exactly busy at that time.

I had heard there was another Fast Track F/C, but have never found it...
Old May 3, 2017, 5:36 am

@KARFA, Flight Connections Fast Track is a dedicated Fast Track at the discretion of HAL & whether there is anyone policing the top of the escalators. I have often arrived at the top of the escalator only to be held back by the "guard" filtering overflow economy passengers. I have also been told to join the economy Q's AFTER economy passengers have been filtered across. Flight Connections, especially at busy times, remains a nightmare.

I agree though when you arrived from HKG, it was empty. I will be on a HKG to LHR flight next week, with a transit to Europe. At 5 am in the morning, I will use the Flight Connections. Last time I used it, it was not even open, but there again, LHR is not exactly busy at that time.

I had heard there was another Fast Track F/C, but have never found it...
There is definitely a lot of policing of fast track at the bottom of the escalators now. Also I have't experienced crowding at the top of teh escalators recently, and this is primarily because fewer people go up there since it is only fast track, non-fast track all go via the new route to south security.

I actually used connections twice last week, once early morning and again around 1530.

If you want to see how FCC is laid out have a look at the connections guide linked to in my signature.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:48 am

@KARFA - I know it is policed downstairs, but at the top, with the single rope, it is policed, just as fast track is policed in Fra T2.

I am still happy in peak times to exit / enter (via FW). At least it gets me to where I want to get to without the stress.

Out of all the airports I travel to, I find security at T5 (except FW) and FRA T2, to be the worse, most stressful and filled with the rudest airport workers I have ever encountered in Europe...
Old May 3, 2017, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond
Out of all the airports I travel to, I find security at T5 (except FW) and FRA T2, to be the worse, most stressful and filled with the rudest airport workers I have ever encountered in Europe...
I guess you musn't travel through MAN very often
Old May 3, 2017, 5:53 am

My own view as someone who does a fair few connections at T5 is if I am doing INT-INT I will probably use the fast track INT-INT lane and north security (I must admit I have not experiences any holding or filtering in of non-connecting passengers in to fast track security before).

If I am doing INT-DOM I will see what the immigration queues look like for DOM/DUB connections, and if busy I will head landside. I may use north fast track or TFW, depending on how I feel on the day.

Also worth noting south fast track seems a lot less busy now so whilst the secret door remains in use I have sometimes use south fast track instead of TFW.
Old May 3, 2017, 5:54 am

Originally Posted by Phorbas
I guess you musn't travel through MAN very often
Lol, yes that definitely isn't an airport I enjoy security in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.