Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Do You Manage With Only Hand Baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue, and anything Amex Plat are dishing out
It may be from another airline but I've been using one of these for 25+ years. It's not got wheels but holds huge amount and still looks good.
Cathay carry on
Old Jun 2, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Buy a stick deodorant in the USA- not common in the Uk but once tried you will never go back. I stock up in the USA on each trip.
Both myself and MrAB84 use Sure stick deodorants - available in supermarkets everywhere(assuming we are talking about the same thing!)

http://http://www.superdrug.com/Sure...-50ml/p/355452

No problem with carrying them in general handluggage
Old Jun 2, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
They do indeed, though it is not directly comparable with the Skypak holdall or the Eagle Creek bags I mentioned since it's considerably smaller - about half the size (23l) of the full-size carryon bags (50l). The nice thing about the EC bags is that they are carryon-max size and still a backpack, whereas most backpacks are less rectilinear and so contain less volume in the bag if the bag still fits in the carry-on bounding box.

Meanwhile if you want a carry-on stick deodorant with a better grade of perfume, Penhaligon sells them also. UK Airport security may need persuading (take it out and poke it with your finger while saying "it's a solid deodorant") but noone else is that officious.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite Plus
The secret is to use all available space. You need a seriously good suitcase for this though. This was a 5-week RTW trip.

BR1 by , on Flickr

BR2 by , on Flickr

And yes - that fits in the overhead lockers...
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:28 am

Programs: FB Plat; BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I guess I'm in the opposite camp, my last trip was LHR-YYC and I had 5 pieces of checked baggage. I find it very freeing to be able to buy things and not worry if they will go through security or get confiscated, I just check them. Nice to not have to fight for overhead space too.

I travelled with 2 other people, so I used part of their baggage allowance
You need to check out The Minimalists on YouTube or Netflix

Originally Posted by avon75
Any recommendations on good hand luggage suitcases ? I have a small Samsonite which I had to buy last minute when over my weight limit returning home from SFO last year, but my wash bag and spare shoes take up 1/2 the space inside.
Shoes are normally the biggest headache. If needed I will travel in a bulky pair but I also use them to store socks and underwear which means they fit easier. I think your problem might be your wash bag. To go HBO it really needs to be your clear bag for security and I keep my razor and electric toothbrush in a side pocket.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
This is what I've used and it's been awesome, to be honest. I know people swear by Rimowa but the cost puts me off. I think I paid £180 for my B&R in an Amazon sale.
I am one who swears by their Rimowa. Bought in Germany for around £450 I've add it for three years, in this time its had weekly use and is still in excellent condition. I oil the wheels occasionally when they start squeaking. For me that boils down to good value.

Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If I'm wearing heels there's a good chance I'm not wearing anything.

Originally Posted by dera
The secret is to use all available space. You need a seriously good suitcase for this though. This was a 5-week RTW trip.

And yes - that fits in the overhead lockers...
Does that fit EU cabin dimensions? It looks more like a US version from your photos.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by DaveNCL
Does that fit EU cabin dimensions? It looks more like a US version from your photos.
I mean, let's face it. That thing will never fit any sizer, but it fits the overhead bins on full-size (non-ATR/Embraer) planes.
Most airlines don't enforce the sizer rules that rigorously, and the ones that do, you just need to be stealth about it
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:07 am

Perhaps the spirit of the discussion here is more "How do you manage with hand baggage within the rules" not "how do you hope to avoid the rules?".

Also while that bag may fit in the overhead bin on most aircraft, a bag within the size rules has space on top for jackets, hats, small bags, and so on while this one does not. You are taking up extra space with that bag, even if it "fits in the bin".

So, back to how one travels with hand baggage within the size limits, perhaps?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:24 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Buy a stick deodorant in the USA- not common in the Uk but once tried you will never go back. I stock up in the USA on each trip.
At LCY , I was told that stick deodorant is a liquid, when I questioned this was told it would turn liquid when heated !
Old Jun 3, 2017, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by stewaran
At LCY , I was told that stick deodorant is a liquid, when I questioned this was told it would turn liquid when heated !
You can't win that one with a few of the arrogant idiots employed in UK security, but so far opening it and poking it with my finger, "it's a solid", has worked.

in extremis I can probably cram it into my liquids bag, by taking out some of the medication in there, and then the argument will become "this is a medicine", which I will win because I carry a copy of my prescription.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by stewaran

Originally Posted by flatlander
You can't win that one with a few of the arrogant idiots employed in UK security, but so far opening it and poking it with my finger, "it's a solid", has worked.

in extremis I can probably cram it into my liquids bag, by taking out some of the medication in there, and then the argument will become "this is a medicine", which I will win because I carry a copy of my prescription.
My experience is that LCY is more stringent (or picky, depending on your point of view) about liquids and hand luggage screening in general compared to the other London airports. There always seems to be a high percentage of trays waiting for secondary screening (with accompanying gaggle of waiting pax blocking the way out of security). though maybe they are just slow.

I'm aware of their quirks (e.g. With medication. they have insisted it goes in the bag if it doesn't have at least the packaging with prescription label), so nearly always manage to avoid secondary screening. That said, I generally find them courteous, just a bit strict, which can come across as abrupt.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:05 am

For a female in the U.K. Only widely available are Mitchum, sure or one dove kind. Limited scent options. In the USA they don't have aerosol deoderant and do dozens of choices, better scent and tougher. Cheaper usually as well and you can get really big ones that last ages- double the size of uk ones.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Perhaps the spirit of the discussion here is more "How do you manage with hand baggage within the rules" not "how do you hope to avoid the rules?".

Also while that bag may fit in the overhead bin on most aircraft, a bag within the size rules has space on top for jackets, hats, small bags, and so on while this one does not. You are taking up extra space with that bag, even if it "fits in the bin".

So, back to how one travels with hand baggage within the size limits, perhaps?
With some airlines, impossible. Good luck trying to pack a few days of clothes in a 8kg bag.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by dera
With some airlines, impossible. Good luck trying to pack a few days of clothes in a 8kg bag.
But this is the BA forum, so no need to worry about such limits. 23kg should be enough for a few days.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Travelling as a couple, here are some things we found to be useful:

* Balancing out liquids between our 2 quart sized bags
* Osprey Porter 46 carry-on soft bag
* Cheap plastic containers for transferring larger beauty products into 100ml size
* Lightweight travel loafers as a second pair
* Sealable dry sack for keeping dirty clothes separate from clean clothes until washing time

A few years back, on a gap travel year, we went a 5-month stretch over 24-flights without checking bags, using those recommendations. Add to that a small 'personal bag' backpack for electronics. As a result, we've rarely checked bags in the years since, and I don't miss at all the time spent checking in bags, waiting at the baggage carousel, or schlepping around luggage. In fact we just finished a 10-day trip to Estonia, Finland, and Russia using this approach. No complaints.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I'm very good at packing and living out of a small cabin type case - I take a bar of soap, stick deodorant and a very small 100ml shampoo decanted out of a larger bottle, this plus toothpaste/mouthwash make up the bathroom bag .
My problem is that I don't like lugging it around the airport and normally it ends up being the smallest case at baggage reclaim.
Luckily I don't normally have time constraints as I travel purely for fun, I am sure I would lug my case with me if time was an issue .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.