Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus & British Airways - Codeshares & Terms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus & British Airways - Codeshares & Terms

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2017, 8:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You can choose your seat in advance but you’ll probably need to ring up; a charge may apply for preferred seats such as front 8-10 rows and exit rows. Your baggage allowance will depend on your class of travel, which you’ve not mentioned. You can get a normal inflight meal for free or purchase a premium one.
Old Oct 25, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: Avios, AerClub
Hello, thanks a million for responding to my query. I really appreciate it. Hoping all goes well for me when it comes to checking in. I know it might sound a bit over reactive when I say I wouldn't be so keen to use my Avios to book with Aer Lingus again, but my experience in trying to get info from both Avios and Aer Lingus hasn't been great. I like to fly with Aer Lingus when I can, but booking with them directly has been a lot easier and more convenient. I'll wait and see how things go for me.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 4:15 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
As a data point - I have just (I hope)had my preferred seat (front of the cabin) allocated to me for an upcoming London -Cork flight, no charge. GCH. Rang them, spoke to 2 very nice guys, price of 12.99 per seat was mentioned to me but waived afternoon briefly being put on hold when I asked about Gold status.

It’s not yet showing up in the app, so if it turns out not to stick I’ll report back, but so far gold star to Aer Lingus. (Yes, I’m Irish)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Another question: A friend of mine booked BHD-LHR-BSL, all on BA codes, but BHD-LHR is operated by EI. She now wants to pre-pay for additional baggage. Should she call BA or EI? Apparently, she is unable to do this on ba.com. Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by florens
Another question: A friend of mine booked BHD-LHR-BSL, all on BA codes, but BHD-LHR is operated by EI. She now wants to pre-pay for additional baggage. Should she call BA or EI? Apparently, she is unable to do this on ba.com. Thanks!
It is to EI and it is important to pay before travel, EI has very high charges on the day. It may take some persistence since the usual response is "you can do this online", but with BA codes that almost certainly doesn't work. But she should check online first, I suppose, but I can't imagine it has changed recently.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:41 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It is to EI and it is important to pay before travel, EI has very high charges on the day. It may take some persistence since the usual response is "you can do this online", but with BA codes that almost certainly doesn't work. But she should check online first, I suppose, but I can't imagine it has changed recently.
Thanks cws for your fast answer. I told her too to do it beforehand. I'll tell her to call EI then.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 7:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Centurion
Can anyone advise how I can go about booking an EI flight under its BA codeshare? For reference, it's EI105 (DUB - JFK), and I would like to book it under its corresponding BA codeshare of BA6125, so I can experience the EI business class and earn BA tier points. I have searched the BA website and the only results from DUB are through London, with one EI-operated flight through YYZ.

Is it even possible to book these on ba.com, or should I call a travel agent?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Hi, just bumping this. Can anyone advise how to go about booking transatlantic EI flights under its BA codeshare?
Thanks
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by the_outcast
Hi, just bumping this. Can anyone advise how to go about booking transatlantic EI flights under its BA codeshare?
Thanks
When searching on itamatrix and ba,com the BA coded EI operated TATL flights only appear if connecting from a BA LHR-DUB flight. I wonder that the BA coded EI TATL may not bookable as a standalone flight?
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by the_outcast
Thanks
I'm pretty sure that you can't get the codeshare on flights like DUB-JFK-DUB.

The codeshare is only available on something like LHR-DUB-JFK or AMS-DUB-JFK or if you're connecting to Canada or something.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Yep. I've done this a few times. You can often get it ex-Osl or ex-AMS, connecting in LHR overnight.

I've done:
OSL-LHR / overnight
LHR-DUB on BA832 into T1 At DUB
DUB-JFK on BA6125

Changing from T1 at DUB to T2 took maybe 30 minutes. You'll have to check in at EI desks to get boarding cards, plus the usual US customs wait, then a fairly long wait in the 51st and Green lounge (after immigration).

Beware though, you get "First marketing carrier" baggage allowance, meaning 2x23kg bags - less than EI standard of 3x32. If you check in at the BA desks at LHR they often don't mind.

You could also take an EI from AMS, or OSL, or LHR direct to DUB, and forgo the terminal change and boarding pass shenanigans in DUB, but you get far fewer TPs - only 20 per leg, rather than 40. You might also lose the baggage generosity given by BA with status.

Getting off at JFK and being in a taxi in under 10 minutes is well worth the wait in DUB IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2018, 11:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, unlike shorthaul Aer Lingus, the longhaul codeshares have to be combined with other trips, moreover BA.com prioritises the Joint Business flights, which does not include Aer Lingus. So on BA.com I can just about get NCL-DUB-LHR to come up with AA metal as BA1522, BA flight codes, but not for BA6129, which is Aer Lingus. I suspect you will get a fare if you call up since it does price up on ITA. (And out of interest, the cheapest fare for a random date in May was £506 return, which is cheaper than the via London fares by a fiver, however the cheapest was NCL-LHR-SNN-JFK! £501 return, but you would have to fairly desperate, it's a 757).
Old Mar 26, 2018, 5:41 pm

Okay thanks all. It's a no-go for me then as I'll be flying out of DUB (actually flying BDA-JFK-DUB return) and going to LHR and then back to DUB just to get the codeshare wouldn't be worth it.
Old Mar 27, 2018, 5:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
Just managed to get great prices on EI with BA codes (which I found via ITA Matrix). BHX to ORD via DUB for £1400 in Business Class on transatlantic (EI all the way for me, but with ORD to DUB on AA for my wife who is returning sooner). Given LHR is an hours drive and BHX is 90 minutes, seems worth it at that price with the benefit of pre-clearance and TPs.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 5:03 pm

Would anyone know if the new Aer Lingus/Emerald Airlines routes starting in March & April are likely to get BA codeshares?
https://mediacentre.aerlingus.com/ne...egional-routes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.