Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Long Haul economy - dreading it already - survival tips please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Booked flights out to MIA for the 2nd Jan and would usually make an ex-EU trip but with the dates (no direct EDI-DUB flights on the 1st) and chance of winter weather issues needed to book from UK so have ended up with WT out and CW back (for the same price as CW both ways from DUB!)
Originally was looking for WT+ out but could just not press the button on a fare difference of £500 each so accept that we will likely be travelling in WT (after vowing never to do economy long haul again)
Having read the boards it appears, because we have a domestic leg, there is no chance of a POUG appearing so will try for airport upgrade on the day but I am trying to convince myself that it can't be that bad if we remain in Economy...daytime flight, on way to lovely holiday
Any top tips for surviving? we have 2 seats on the upper deck of the A380 (BA209) but is it worth checking closer to the time for loads to see if we could maybe grab some extra space? Check for bassinet row at T-72? (3 exit seats showing available but spread around plane so not option (would have paid))
We are going to join a cruise to West Indies on 4th so I am sure we will recover, just want to be prepared!
thanks
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
A daytime flight to Miami in WT isn't so bad, especially if you've managed to grab the two seats by the window. Bassinet seats are not always better, as there's not much room to stretch out your legs. Just pack a book and you'll be fine.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Indeed, you'll be totally fine. nonstop daytme, A380 is a great plane and you have the seat pair so no annoying neighbour, and there are films and more to pass the time. The return will be the more trying leg.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: Gold Actually
why are you asking people on here? Most don't have a clue what goes on down the back!!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:32 am

Programs: BA gold
First off, abandon any hopes of an upgrade. Don't even think about it. If an AUP comes up for the both of you, it's a bonus, until then, I'd promptly put it at the back of your mind.

If you meet BA's requirements, the emergency exit seats are best for leg-room and to get out of the seat if needing to get out while the meal tray is still there. Be mindful that the rearmost WT cabin on the upper deck has limited overhead storage (smaller bins) - so if you struggle, you'll find you can put them in the overhead bin in the forward WT cabin.

You'll surive, especially with so much to look forward to on the outbound. Despite appearances and what some claim, there are actually plenty of folks on this forums are frequent Y travellers for business.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
For a couple travelling together, a window pair on the upper deck of the A380 is probably the most agreeable (least disagreeable ?) WT variant on the whole of BA. My preference is for a non-front row seat, because you get the extra shoulder room and personal locker (and additional 'shelf space') alongside.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:35 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Thousands of people travel LH BA in Y everyday. Accept it won't be CW and think about your holiday (whilst trying not to think how you can get somebody in CW to swap with you. )

Take plenty to keep you occupied and some decent food options to snack on through your the flight. Could also look at buying an upgraded meal but not sure if this then restricts being able to pay for an upgrade or an opup.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:55 am

Programs: ba, virgin, ua, hilton, spg
Pre-select good seats - and buy some food for the flight. T5 has a good range; my favourite is "EAT".
One other point - Immigration at MIA has improved considerably. In October I made landing to exiting customs in less than 25 minutes.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
Take any snacks you need.

Take a book in case the IFE isn't working.

Take several inflatable neck cushions and use to support your back/elbows.

Take eye mask/earplugs if you want to snooze.

Enjoy
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:02 am

Programs: Mucci des Ancients Matelots
I would echo others here on the a380. upper deck WT as a couple is not that bad in Y. The IFE is pretty good, the curvature of the fuselage gives the impression of space and you may even come off the other end thinking it's worth doing again.

If you like a window remember that most of the exit row seats upstairs don't have one.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, KL FB Ivory, SK EB Basic, FI Saga, DY Reward, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Pref
You'll be fine - I survived 14 hours on a 772 in Y with the most obnoxious bulkhead passenger you could possibly have the misfortune to meet! MIA on a 380 sounds like a breeze in comparison.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:15 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
Depends how tall you are. My only problem with BA in Y LH is the 31 inch pitch. Otherwise perfectly acceptable, both the food+drink and the upper deck 2-4-2 A380.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Just focus on the £1000 saved, and what you can spend that on instead! Seriously, I enjoy travelling CW as much anyone else when the price is right, but I would always rather have the extra money in my pocket for the holiday itself.

Have a great time!
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:33 am
Original Poster

thanks all - tips noted and a lot of the dread has lifted...
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
MIA ? 9 hours ? Lightweight !!

Try joining me in a few weeks time for 11 hours on my LHR-LAX down the back of a BA747...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.