Wiki Posts
Search

changing planes in Bangkok?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: ba lifetime gold, MAS gold, hhonors gold
Question changing planes in Bangkok?

I am flying glasgow - LHR - Bangkok - Siem Rep, all on one BA PNR and BA flight numbers. The last leg carrier is Bangkok airways. Can anyone advise if we have to go landside with all the joys of immigration and security or can we stay airside to change planes?
Any advice welcome
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
That is an international connection, and happily you are on one ticket. So you should be able to interline any baggage and therefore stay airside at BKK. If you have checked baggage and there is a problem at GLA (rather a high prospect I'm afraid) don't worry, allow them to tag to BKK, then at BKK get the Bangkok Airways staff at flight connections to rescue your bags and send them on their way. In fact you should do this anyway, the BKK baggage handling system is unique to that airport and all connecting passengers should check that the receiving airline is aware of your tags. There is a security check at BKK but you stay airside and there's no immigration. And possibly a lot of walking if you are unlucky. If HBO just connect in the usual way.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Smile

thanks C-W-S - truly the fount of all knowledge
Old Nov 13, 2016, 5:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Oneworld, *A; Hilton, SPG
I always check at the transit desk when connecting through a Thai airport. Even if the baggage was 'tagged through', there's always a chance of it being dumped onto the baggage claim belt for some reason. (I was once told, connecting from KUL, that my bags were tagged through - luckily, on my way out of the airport for my long(ish) layover, I decided just to stop by the belt to make sure my bag was not there, but guess what, there it was going round on the belt...)
Old Nov 13, 2016, 9:07 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
One thing to add, is that you may have issues if you do not have an onward boarding pass.

The airline desks, when in transit, are after security. As such, make sure you have a paper printed copy of your itinerary - ideally from the Bangkok Airways website. Show this, when prompted, to the security personnel at the Transfer Security Checks.

BA tend to park closer to West Security, so look out for the signs when you land. Do not follow signs for Immigration - follow the blue Transfer signs.

M
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:08 am
Original Poster

thanks everybody - very helpful!
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
One thing to add, is that you may have issues if you do not have an onward boarding pass.

The airline desks, when in transit, are after security. As such, make sure you have a paper printed copy of your itinerary - ideally from the Bangkok Airways website. Show this, when prompted, to the security personnel at the Transfer Security Checks.

BA tend to park closer to West Security, so look out for the signs when you land. Do not follow signs for Immigration - follow the blue Transfer signs.

M
I have a couple of similar questions so hope no-one minds me using this thread.

I'm scheduled to arrive in BKK at 12.30pm on a QR flight. I'm going to buy a separate ticket to HKT probably on Bangkok Airways.

Will I be able to follow the blue transfer signs after arrival in BKK and presumably stay airside?

What would be the earliest flight experienced FTers would book to HKT given that I will have a bag in the hold from Doha?

Thanks
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:09 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Amarone

I'm scheduled to arrive in BKK at 12.30pm on a QR flight. I'm going to buy a separate ticket to HKT probably on Bangkok Airways.

Will I be able to follow the blue transfer signs after arrival in BKK and presumably stay airside?

What would be the earliest flight experienced FTers would book to HKT given that I will have a bag in the hold from Doha?

Thanks
If a separate ticket, you will need to collect your bag, and check-in at the Bangkok Airways counters. As such, you will not be able to follow the signs for Transfer Passengers.

You will need to follow the yellow signs for Immigration, having filled-in the double sided Immigration Form given to you on the plane by QR.

Once done, collect your bag, and take the lift up to Departures. You will find Bangkok Airways on Row F.

Depending on your class of travel on QR, you may be given a Premium Lane pass. If so, allow at least 70mins from walking off the plane, to reaching the Bangkok Airways check-in desks.

If you are in Y, and thus no Premium Lane pass given, allow at least 2 hours as a minimum - although this can be cut to 90mins depending on how quickly you walk, and which QR service you are flying on (due to other incoming Y-heavy flights).

One additional thing to note, is to see what time the Check-In counters will 'close' for your flights on Bangkok Airways - I'm not sure if its 60mins, or 90mins.

M
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Amarone

Thanks
Queue's at BKK have been horrendous of late, but most Bangkok Airways tickets have low or minimal change fees (check before paying). So you could get a flex ticket (often £70-£100 o/w) and if you get through immigration quickly get PG to put you on an earlier flight (they have 8-10 flights a day on the route). They have a 17:30 flight which you should be fine on, but you could feasable make the 14:35 if all goes well.

Bangkok Airways are very good and flexible in my experience, and i've done this en-route to Koh Samui when getting into BKK early with EY.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: BA Gold (and many other greater and lesser distinctions)
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Queue's at BKK have been horrendous of late ....
I know that the quoted comment was not referring to transit, but just to reassure those transiting that having transited twice in the last week, there have not been any queues worth mentioning for internat - internat transit security, and on the first occasion I was through in 10 mins and on the 2nd in 2 mins. The transit process was actually very simple and painless (leaving aside the poor lounge choices and general gloom of the terminal facilities).
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by Frequentflyer99
I know that the quoted comment was not referring to transit, but just to reassure those transiting that having transited twice in the last week, there have not been any queues worth mentioning for internat - internat transit security, and on the first occasion I was through in 10 mins and on the 2nd in 2 mins. The transit process was actually very simple and painless (leaving aside the poor lounge choices and general gloom of the terminal facilities).
Yep - sorry - I do of course mean immigration. I only seen to get extremes horrendous queues or no-one at all. Transit i've always done pain free.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
I've been through BKK twice in the last couple of weeks and it was fine, albeit (1) I had Priority Lane access and (2) I was not arriving on the BA but on CX and then on MH, both in the evening. In the past I have had some pretty long waits as well, and as has been mentioned above, some of the walks can be pretty long too.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If a separate ticket, you will need to collect your bag, and check-in at the Bangkok Airways counters. As such, you will not be able to follow the signs for Transfer Passengers.

You will need to follow the yellow signs for Immigration, having filled-in the double sided Immigration Form given to you on the plane by QR.

Once done, collect your bag, and take the lift up to Departures. You will find Bangkok Airways on Row F.

Depending on your class of travel on QR, you may be given a Premium Lane pass. If so, allow at least 70mins from walking off the plane, to reaching the Bangkok Airways check-in desks.

If you are in Y, and thus no Premium Lane pass given, allow at least 2 hours as a minimum - although this can be cut to 90mins depending on how quickly you walk, and which QR service you are flying on (due to other incoming Y-heavy flights).

One additional thing to note, is to see what time the Check-In counters will 'close' for your flights on Bangkok Airways - I'm not sure if its 60mins, or 90mins.

M
Many thanks for the very useful info - I'm in J so hopefully might be given a Premium Lane Pass.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Queue's at BKK have been horrendous of late, but most Bangkok Airways tickets have low or minimal change fees (check before paying). So you could get a flex ticket (often £70-£100 o/w) and if you get through immigration quickly get PG to put you on an earlier flight (they have 8-10 flights a day on the route). They have a 17:30 flight which you should be fine on, but you could feasable make the 14:35 if all goes well.

Bangkok Airways are very good and flexible in my experience, and i've done this en-route to Koh Samui when getting into BKK early with EY.
Hadn't thought of buying a flex ticket - great idea - will look into that. Many thanks for the suggestion - much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.