Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Drinking water while travelling with British Airways - a pictorial guide

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drinking water while travelling with British Airways - a pictorial guide

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2016, 4:27 am

Programs: AY Silver
The Heathrow terminal 3 toilets just past the Dixons and Ted Bakers have one of the standard fountains, it's pretty close to the entrance to the gates. It's cramped for large bottles though, 500ml is about the most you can completely fill!
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:28 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by cziwkga
BA isn't currently at the South terminal at Gatwick, but it will be soon. The only facilities I'm aware of there are a drinking fountain in the corridor leading to the toilets upstairs by the food court. The fountain has an extra tap that's intended to make filling bottles easier.
Now that BA has gone South (geographically, but hopefully not figuratively), is this still the most convenient option? It's been a few years since I've flown from South - is this fountain en route from security to the temporary lounges?
Old Jan 26, 2017, 7:41 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Deltus
is this fountain en route from security to the temporary lounges?
Yes it is, and it's very near to both the Speedbird lounge and No. 1 Club Rooms, on the upper level section of the main departure shopping area. The new BA Lounge is at the opposite end of the same level. From security, swing left to the corridor used by lounge users, then when in this upper level section, turn left again, rather than right for Speedbird. It doesn't come out in the photo but that corridor is quite lengthy.

While I'm here: Glasgow's entry now updated.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 11:15 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by bealine
The water heaters in the galley are very unlikely to boil water - you would be lucky to get it above 90 degrees C on most aircraft!"
On the BBC show about doing a D check on a 744, it was stated that the water heaters onboard for tea/coffee are set to 83C.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
The LGW fountain is comedically slow at the moment - there was a queue of about 8 of us waiting to use the trickle of water coming out. Would recommend asking the lounge to fill your bottle instead if you're here in the next couple of days!
Old Feb 8, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Stansted

In case anyone takes the BA flights from Stansted:

Main terminal departures:

There are no water fountains (that I can find).

The cheapest bottled water is at HEMA, £1/500ml, followed by Itsy, £1.10/500ml. The Telegraph newspaper and free bottle of 750ml Buxton water offer may also be available at WHSmith, one can replace the newspaper in the rack after scanning it if one does not wish to take it.

It may be possible to ask some of the restaurant staff for a glass of tap water, I expect the most likely place for that to work is the Wetherspoons pub near the transit train doors.

Gates 1-19 and 20-39 (satellite buildings):

There are tap water fountains by the toilets at gate 11-12 and other locations.

The above Telegraph offer may apply at the WHSmith, otherwise bottled water is in the £1.70/500ml cost range.

Gates 80-88:

I can't remember if there are fountains, will look next time I leave from there.

Bottled water is in the £1.80/500ml range from the single cafe in this area. Note you cannot easily return to the main departures area, because arriving and departing passengers mix so exit from this area is only via arrivals.

Gates 40-59: Only Ryanair uses these gates.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by signol
It is my understanding that in Greece, bottled water is by law restricted in price. So even in airports, a 500ml bottle is 50c.
Cheapest in FRA was cardboard tetrapaks of water, 500ml for EUR1.

signol
Originally Posted by 8420PR
Actually the price of many things is regulated in Greek Airports, including bottled water (€0.50 for 750ml), coffee (€1.30) and ham&cheese sandwiches. The restaurants don't advertise this though.
The restaurants/kiosks are required to put the regulatory print out by the register, but they all make it very plain. Still, I think it is a good idea that they do it.

Originally Posted by Teefaf
Thank you both - I didn't know this. I always thought ALL containers over 100ml were banned, including empty ones. You learn something new every day!
If ALL containers over 100ml were banned, you couldn't carry on a briefcase.
Old May 16, 2017, 12:30 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I always carry an empty water bottle (or 2! I get thirsty...) for re-filling past security. Plenty of water fountains at LHR and LTN. I remember LGW didn't have any working ones(!) when we were there in December, however the very lovely chap at Wetherspoons kindly offered to fill our water bottles for us.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:15 am
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Apologies for the lack of pictures (I'll try to get one next time!) but there is now a water fountain at Manchester T3. It's in the corridor leading to the toilets situated between the Lion&Antelope pub and the Trattoria Milano restaurant, is very obvious and not hidden, and has both a spout for immediate drinking and a 'tap' style outlet for filling bottles. I can confirm both that the water comes out nice and cool and that security have zero issues with empty bottles (unlike nearby LPL, for example, where they often need 'reminding' of the DfT rules!)

Perhaps CWS would be kind enough to update the OP with this info?
DeathSlam likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2018, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
An update on post 59 - last time I was at LGW South, it seemed that the fountain I pictured has been removed. However, there is now a drinking fountain in a short stretch of corridor that you pass through when leaving the lounges. My mental map of LGW isn't good enough to explain this more clearly at present and it may be a month or two before I get the opportunity to pass through again and take pictures. If anyone else is able to do so before me I'm sure others would appreciate it.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 5:54 am

Would be interested to know if this water is really good in quality?
Old Mar 1, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by filkaline
It comes straight from the river Thames. Best to bring some live fresh-water fish with you to act as testers.
Old Mar 1, 2018, 8:50 am
Suspended

i wish that i could find a refill machine for MACALLEN
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver, Flying Blue Zilch, East Coast Rewards Lots&lots, Miles & More nada
Originally Posted by filkaline
It's as good as, or better, than most of what you'll be able to buy in a bottle at any of the shops in this or any other airport. 'Quality', however, is a many-dimensioned thing and we each place different values on some of those dimensions. I've described my perspective. If you want a more precise answer I think you will need to say a little more about what 'quality' means to you in this context.
Old Mar 4, 2018, 3:37 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
I haven't been able to get a suitable picture, but a drinking water tap is available at Inverness Airport - in the gents. Assume the ladies have the same. It's been there for quite some time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.