Wiki Posts
Search

Having a guest in First for a drink.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: B A Gold
Having a guest in First for a drink.

Apologies, I am sure this has been asked before and I have trolled posts but cannot find anything. Better half and I are flying First to New York just before Christmas (747) and found out the young couple next door are by chance on the same flight but in economy.

They say they woul love to just have a look in First so we were wondering if we could invite them up to First for a drink in the companions chair.

When flying with business colleagues I have been allowed to do this when flying Emirates First but not in their Business.

My feeling is that it will probably be at the discretion of the CSM but I would appreciate any feedback on any experiences other ft members have had.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Ask nicely, expect a friendly 'no', but usually this is granted outside of meal service and quite properly for a drink, not a long session. CSM/CSD call, as always. 2+2 is a bit more awkward, but keep it low key and all will be good.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
I'm sure they would love an invite to the Concorde Room too.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:19 pm

Programs: GGL, BA lifetime Gold, Many Hotel Sparkles
I would expect disappointment , with a slim chance of success.

Even better invite them to join you in the Concord room and ensure you start the trip off in style with them. It's allowed and far nicer way to start the journey. You can both bring one guest in as first passengers.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I can see no reason why this wouldn't be possible, I would suggest asking the crew in First or the CSD on boarding and have them visit straight after takeoff.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
First passengers are entitled to have a guest visit for a brief time, outside of mealtimes and provided they do not disturb other passengers. You need to ask the CSM or other crewmember. See these threads:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...hat-rules.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ors-first.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...-question.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...friends-j.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...omy-guest.html
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Thanks jerry a. laska

The ability of non F passengers to join a F passenger is at the discretion of the senior crew member in F or the CSD/CSM.

If he/she agrees, follow the instructions and make it a brief (say 30 minutes or so) visit and keep the volume down to avoid disturbing other passengers.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
First passengers are entitled to have a guest visit for a brief time, outside of mealtimes and provided they do not disturb other passengers. You need to ask the CSM or other crewmember.
Where does it say it is an entitlement?

Because all the CC who have posted on the many similar threads have said it is discretionary on the Cabin Service Director.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 10:42 am

I have had guests in F twice. Once for a drink and once for dinner. Just ask the CSD nicely.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:15 pm

I see this discussed quite frequently. And it's not my "football" but the Cabin manager's.

But here is what I don't understand about this. Perhaps I'm alone in this, but I've always traveled first and business with a major motivation being less foot traffic, fewer bodies about a smallish space, which then can translate to a quieter cabin and less noise. If a First or Club World denizen causes noise, then that's a different issue. But importing it from down the back? Really?

First isn't somebody's airport lounge or lounge at home for people to come round for drinkies. It's a space some pax have paid premium prices for in order to keep the hubub to a minimum and the number of bodies dictated by the seats.

And the most foot traffic and chat from people invited in who are not booked in that cabin can seriously affect sleep if you are one who does the dinner service in the lounge, so you can get your head down right after take off.

So what about visitors coming up for dinner and drinks does not add to the hubub of adding more bodies to the cabin? More noise (even if people whisper)? More of everything you booked first and club world to avoid?

Am I so far out of step I suppose now, that buying the chance of a less crowded and quieter cabin is not the agenda that BA values for its customers? That any extraneous bodies who don't belong might need to stay out of the cabin?

I never understand the notion that when you purchase a product, the other customer (with cabin crew permission) has the notion that this is their own private lounge at home subject to invitations to folks down the back, however polite it feels to them to offer.

It just baffles me, that's all.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
This is a difficult area and I am quite happy to accept a different view if that is the consensus. My view is that you should stay in the cabin booked.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It used to be a written benefit for First customers but it has be quietly removed.
Visitors can only sit on the buddy seat so this wouldn't be available on the B787-9 as there is no buddy seat on this aircraft type.
We have not been told that this is no longer aloud, hopefully like myself other senior crew will use their good judgement.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: BA Blue
I know this is a minor point, but lets say you are both in F, have your "companion" join you at your table, and make noise, is that ok? What about having dinner together at 1 seat? You both have paid for F.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone causing a disturbance will be reminded that it's public transport.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:21 pm

A bit OT, but the "disturbance to other passengers" is an interesting one- my wife recently flew in first to Beijing, and a baby was screaming for several hours. In this case, it wasn't a guest you could ask to leave, as the mother was a first passenger too. Obviously a baby can't help it, but I'd have been mightily annoyed if I'd paid a premium and then had to deal with that (needless to say, the other half wasn't feeling great after landing, but luckily didn't have a meeting until the next day).

Mind you, I'm of the opinion anyone under about 10 shouldn't be allowed on aircraft

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.