Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Fog at London airports, 30 Oct to 1 Nov. Flight delays and cancellations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fog at London airports, 30 Oct to 1 Nov. Flight delays and cancellations

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Ned1968
Might have helping being GGL and using the GGL line
I don't think that made a difference (other than being quicker to do perhaps). If a flight is cancelled then there are a variety of remedies open to a passenger, including starting from another airport, or indeed asking for remaining flights to be protected. Not a big ask at all.

If you have further USA legs on this trip it is very important to keep a weather eye on the booking. There are other segments on a separate PNR involved and it can easily go wrong. It's a good idea to keep an eye on protected bookings anyway, but those involving non Amadeus airlines (such as AA and CX) in particular.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Well, sitting here in the rather nice Platinum Lounge at KUL, where MH seem to be having a bit of a meltdown - 3 hour delays to multiple services due to "operational reasons". BA 34 seems so far unaffected. Fingers crossed
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Diamond, Hilton Gold,
Originally Posted by flatlander
Most flights today and early tomorrow from Madrid to London airports are closed or waitlisted in all classes, more availability in the afternoon tomorrow).

(a friend is stuck there, BA said they might get her back on Thursday, she is hoping for better and pursuing it at the airport)
I am stuck in Madrid currently. Flight this afternoon was cancelled and I received an email stating would I accept the first flight in the morning. Iberia at the airport provided a voucher for the Melia and issued the boarding pass.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by flyoff
I am stuck in Madrid currently. Flight this afternoon was cancelled and I received an email stating would I accept the first flight in the morning. Iberia at the airport provided a voucher for the Melia and issued the boarding pass.
Was there no choice to fly to Paris and then catch the Eurostar or you don't wish to do so?
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:51 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
what is the prospect of fog affecting flghts into LHR tomorrow morning (Tuesday Nov 1st?)
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, UA Plat, DL Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
what is the prospect of fog affecting flghts into LHR tomorrow morning (Tuesday Nov 1st?)
One assumes they will restrict the flow rate if visibility is poor, so delays and short-notice cancellations all round
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:58 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Sadly there is some currently forecast for tomorrow early morning.

Code:
TAF AMD EGLL 311447Z 3114/0118 07004KT CAVOK 
	PROB40 TEMPO 3114/3116 8000 
	BECMG 3116/3119 2000 BR 
	BECMG 3119/3122 1200 
	PROB40 TEMPO 3122/0104 0500 FG VV/// 
	TEMPO 0104/0108 0300 FG VV/// 
	PROB40 TEMPO 0108/0110 0600 FG BKN002
	BECMG 0109/0112 4000 HZ BKN007 
	BECMG 0112/0115 9999 NSW BKN015
There may be some proactive cancellations loaded later today for tomorrow morning.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by techie
Was there no choice to fly to Paris and then catch the Eurostar or you don't wish to do so?
I didn't think of asking for that and the offer of the first flight tomorrow seemed an easy option. I think I would have struggled at Madrid getting any other routings - finding out why the plane was cancelled, and what the hotel voucher took some time after a number of calls by the customer services lady. I also can't speak Spanish which doesn't help.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
With some luck an aircraft that will overnight in London tonight before flying north 07:50 should be ok. I am on its return south at 09:50. might be some inbound delays depending if the fog has cleared and how much traffic is still around as a result of earlier delays
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: BA Executive Club and OnBusiness
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't think that made a difference (other than being quicker to do perhaps). If a flight is cancelled then there are a variety of remedies open to a passenger, including starting from another airport, or indeed asking for remaining flights to be protected. Not a big ask at all.

If you have further USA legs on this trip it is very important to keep a weather eye on the booking. There are other segments on a separate PNR involved and it can easily go wrong. It's a good idea to keep an eye on protected bookings anyway, but those involving non Amadeus airlines (such as AA and CX) in particular.
Made no difference. Got to LHR an hour ago and was told I was rebooked onto a flight to JFK tomorrow. Despite the manager of the GGL assuring me it was fine, my booking LHR-JFK tonight was changed, probably thanks to automatic systems knowing "better". Lost my aisle seat/bulkhead and after 45 minutes queing for rebooking counters in the First class area, now on a 777 (instead of 747) tonight.

BA really do know how to make a mess of things....
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Met Office have issued a yellow warning of fog for Greater London from 1900 Monday to 1000 Tuesday.
I didn't think of asking for that and the offer of the first flight tomorrow seemed an easy option. I think I would have struggled at Madrid getting any other routings - finding out why the plane was cancelled, and what the hotel voucher took some time after a number of calls by the customer services lady. I also can't speak Spanish which doesn't help.
Might have been an easy option, but things are not looking good overnight at the moment. With Spanish, not sure if it's culture or not, you need to tell them what you want rather than asking them to figure it out for themselves and assume that what they give you is the best option. Most often, it tends to be the easiest. There are numerous flights from MAD to Orly and it's only a 40 public transport journey to Gare Du Nord. Hope your flight tomorrow comes through, safe travels!

Last edited by techie; Oct 31, 2016 at 10:18 am
Old Oct 31, 2016, 10:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond
My 11.10 flight from Madrid was delayed this morning - boarding was completed on time, but then we sat on stand for about 65 minutes waiting for our revised slot. It looked like the 08.30 IB LHR flight boarded around the same time as us, and the BA 10.45 to LCY was still showing a delay when I left the lounge. Sorry you didn't make it out before it got really chaotic, flyoff!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by JustTheOne
My 11.10 flight from Madrid was delayed this morning - boarding was completed on time, but then we sat on stand for about 65 minutes waiting for our revised slot. It looked like the 08.30 IB LHR flight boarded around the same time as us, and the BA 10.45 to LCY was still showing a delay when I left the lounge. Sorry you didn't make it out before it got really chaotic, flyoff!
Thanks JustTheOne. I was surprised that my flight from JNB arrived early into LHR, and the flight to Madrid left almost on time this morning. I didn't expect getting back to LHR this evening would be the issue.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:38 pm

Thanks JustTheOne. I was surprised that my flight from JNB arrived early into LHR, and the flight to Madrid left almost on time this morning. I didn't expect getting back to LHR this evening would be the issue.
Are you going back to Joburg? There is a direct flight tonight from MAD on IB, if it helps.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by techie
Are you going back to Joburg? There is a direct flight tonight from MAD on IB, if it helps.
No, LHR was my planned final destination. I had a cheap Ex EU Virgin Atlantic flight which had similar times to my wife's and daughters flight on BA. Had I known what was going to happen i wouldn't have flown the last sector. Anyway I got a good deal and a first experience of Virgin Upper Class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.