Search

Cost efficient J to HKG

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, CX MPC Gold, Avis preferred plus, MyWaitrose card
Cost efficient J to HKG

Hi there

I am likely to be flying to Hong Kong in a few weeks time for a trial move to our offices over there, along with my family (wife, child and infant 'in lap'). Work will pay for (most likely economy or premium economy) flights for us, we will be there for 2-3 weeks minimum. Outbound flights will be during October half term (i.e. peak time crap availability).

However... thanks to this invaluable forum we are now fully accustomed to long haul business class and we are somewhat dreading the prospect of 13hours in the air in non lie-flat seating with the kids, particularly as there is a chance my wife will need to come back to the UK with the kids a few days before me due to work commitments etc.

So, does anybody have any suggestions for the cost efficient way I can secure business class flights that I can put to the company...

At this stage I don't know whether I am responsible for booking flights, or our London based travel agent, or the HK office.

I have about 200k avios and a 2-4-1 that I could consider using to book redemptions, or more likely UUA but I guess that doesn't work if we are in Y (or if there aren't enough redemption seats!), and I don't necessarily want to rely on the appearance of a POUG.

As far as I can see there are no decent (Qatar) sale fares on at the moment.

Any suggestions welcome...
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:13 am

Ex-eu usually produces a good fare ex-Germany e.g Düsseldorf

Or via Chengdu sometimes I've seen some interesting fares

UUA could be interesting if work will pay for WT+ though probably wouldn't see any seats until last minute

To be honest for myself I'd have to weigh up all these vs just getting on A380 upper deck and just getting there with no hassle

Good luck in HK!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by sammyg901
Ex-eu usually produces a good fare ex-Germany e.g Düsseldorf

Or via Chengdu sometimes I've seen some interesting fares

UUA could be interesting if work will pay for WT+ though probably wouldn't see any seats until last minute

To be honest for myself I'd have to weigh up all these vs just getting on A380 upper deck and just getting there with no hassle

Good luck in HK!
Other thing to check is the A350 service from Gatwick, some very reasonable fares in their PE

Programs: British Airways Gold, IHG Spire Elite, HHonours Gold.
There's a QR deal on Groupon today for 50% off business class fares for £19, book by 30th October. Hong Kong is included in the applicable destinations and your dates fall outside of those which are blocked. May help you out.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/ga-q...subs_group=afl

Edit: just informed that it's only off full fare J, so maybe not too good for you.

Last edited by thepinkponce; Oct 11, 2016 at 9:26 am Reason: Added note.

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
I find that HKG is notoriously expensive in business class - demand for business always seems to be high. Even when there are sales, HKG seems to not be included, and priced higher than surrounding destinations.

I'm going as well over the half term and have been monitoring pricing and availability. There are very few redemption seats on BA especially this short to travelling, although some more on Cathay. We're going out via Beijing, and coming back direct on Cathay - but of course you can't use the 241.

Good luck
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:40 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
How does this look? £1,314pp

https://www.google.co.uk/flights/?f=...sc=b;q=flights
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, MILLEMIGLIA Freccia Alata, M&M Blue
Originally Posted by thepinkponce
There's a QR deal on Groupon today for 50% off business class fares for £19, book by 30th October. Hong Kong is included in the applicable destinations and your dates fall outside of those which are blocked. May help you out.

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/ga-q...subs_group=afl

Edit: just informed that it's only off full fare J, so maybe not too good for you.
It is not: the promotion states Business Saver and Business Value which is defintely not Business Flexi.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I recently booked Mrs AITF TXL-TPE rtn via HKG in J on BA for €1.900 for late November.

Interestingly enough on the connections she has J is significantly cheaper than WT and WT+ on the outbound at the moment!

Random search for dates in mid-November offers BA J TXL-HKG rtn for €1.733.

DUS probably about the same, I imagine, and both are apparently well-regarded for B2B (although I have no personal experience of this, being a Berlin resident!)

EDIT: Just noticed you are looking at October. Seems you would have to wait until November 01 for the outbound to get this price...

Last edited by AlienInTheFatherland; Oct 11, 2016 at 10:35 am Reason: Sketchy reading of OP's desired travel dates on my part
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:26 am

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
AY via HEL used to be cheap.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 10:40 am

Location: usually somewhere between 30000 and 40000 feet...but actually the English countryside
Programs: BA GGL/Lifetime Gold, EK Gold, Lowly M&M, Marriott tit, Hhonors Diamond, numerous others
I think you need to look hard at this one. Those 12 hour flights are a back breaker in Y and I would certainly be looking to my company for J in these circumstances. I have no idea what your company policy is, but with a career move I would not be looking to start out down the back - it may depend on who instigated the move?
Also bear in mind that assuming you will get home leave flights, you will most likely receive the same sort of flights, and doing them for the foreseeable....
I would start negotiating and be prepared to offer alternatives if you have to - ex - EU etc.
You need to think about housing allowances as housing costs are enormous, and also schools for the kids, there are waiting lists for most decent schools, and some are closed unless you have siblings already there!
With kids think about where you want to live, where I lived our kids played rugby, football etc but was an expat community on Lantau - great for the airport, but a bit longer onto the island.
Good luck and negotiate hard - I did
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
Good advice. Hk may not be as good for the kids as one may think...

As for flights, look into TPE but dont venture too far.
Originally Posted by Beano HK
I think you need to look hard at this one. Those 12 hour flights are a back breaker in Y and I would certainly be looking to my company for J in these circumstances. I have no idea what your company policy is, but with a career move I would not be looking to start out down the back - it may depend on who instigated the move?
Also bear in mind that assuming you will get home leave flights, you will most likely receive the same sort of flights, and doing them for the foreseeable....
I would start negotiating and be prepared to offer alternatives if you have to - ex - EU etc.
You need to think about housing allowances as housing costs are enormous, and also schools for the kids, there are waiting lists for most decent schools, and some are closed unless you have siblings already there!
With kids think about where you want to live, where I lived our kids played rugby, football etc but was an expat community on Lantau - great for the airport, but a bit longer onto the island.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:16 pm

Programs: Meh
SNN-LHR-HKG with CX I class I got for just over E2000.

Avios availability, especially for 4 nigh on impossible LHR-HKG.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:19 pm

Programs: Meh
Originally Posted by Beano HK
Great post. I seriously looked into moving to HK but after seeing the rental and school costs I stopped abruptly. It will work if the company pays these costs, and given how expensive these are, J class once a year for the family is a drop in the ocean

Good luck OP.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
If price/quality matters not tier points and avios, then both SAS and Swiss have a better j product and can be bought for around £1700 return with good connections
Old Oct 11, 2016, 3:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (and other non-status plastic)
I can't get this to work for half term, but for future reference BA ex-EU via CTU outbound for sub-£1.2k: https://www.google.co.uk/flights/?f=...=ONEWORLD;eo=e

Alas the AY and most recent QR sales have finished for the moment

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.