Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Cancel or change booking? (Family medical emergency)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche

Hello FTer's.

Seeking some advice on how best to manage the situation.

I'm do to fly to Toronto today (and back from NYC at the weekend), but need to attend my father's hospital. I'm on a non-refundable ticket.

I've a problem with my travel insurer which is making claiming an issue.

Do I cancel, and chance it with the travel agent?

Or can I move this booking to an arbitrary point in the future? (There's some dates I know are coming up).

Two little extras - this was an ex-IST booking in Club, with the positioning flights already flown. That was on Sunday, with my original transatlantic flight out on Monday.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Sorry to hear about the emergency.

The technical answer is always that it depends on your fare rules. But looking at the ex-IST I class fares to NYC today, they look like they're on pretty standard €350 change fee conditions. And as you are after departure, then provided that you're changing to dates with I class availability trans-Atlantic, then historical fares ought to be useable so that you shouldn't have to pay any fare difference on top of the change fee. (The short-hauls presumably book into J.)

So if you know some future dates you can move this ticket to, that would be an obvious thing to try. But what I would do is to call and explain what has happened and why you can't now travel today, and ask whether it's possible to move the ticket to a future date just to hold it. Possibly depending on the agent you get, recent experience has suggested that you may get a more sympathetic response than that, and that just paying to change in accordance with the fare rules might simply be the worst case scenario.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 2:44 am

Programs: BAEC, LHM&M, and even a dusty KLFB!
They may ask to see some sort of medical note, so ask them to protect the booking from auto-cancellation in the meantime, if you don't know your new travel dates yet.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 3:04 am

Give BA a call and tell them the situation - they've been very good in allowing me to change a (non-changeable fare) ticket when Mr HH has had little jaunts into hospital <glares sternly at Mr HH....yep in the hospital again>
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Thanks for the advice folks -

Called up the Gold Line. They offloaded me and held my itineraries (both PNRs), fixing at an arbitrary date in future. All I need is to call up or DM to rebook in future.

No charge, and (Gold/Premier only) no need for medical evidence. Really really helpful

The itinerary is still fixed on the original routing, but I'll discover whether this is changeable at a later date.

Finally, "anything else I can help with?"
"Yes, something about Percy pigs. Suppose you've been hearing a lot about them recently?"
*chuckles* "Yes, just a little"
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That's a good result - I'm glad you're sorted.
Old Oct 5, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss

Finally, "anything else I can help with?"
"Yes, something about Percy pigs. Suppose you've been hearing a lot about them recently?"
*chuckles* "Yes, just a little"
I'm beginning to regret my username...

Well done on the good result
Old Oct 5, 2016, 8:26 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Really pleased that once again this is where BA excel and wishing your father a speedy recovery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.