Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Revenue F, connecting to domestic, fast track security and priority boarding?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, BA LTG/GFL, Honors Diamond, Accor Platinum, Bonvoy Silver

I recently flew MAN LHR DXB, and return, on one ticket and PNR, in revenue first for the long haul.

At the time of booking (a normal revenue booking on ba.com) I didn't pay attention to the domestic connector flights' booking classes as they always used to book into J or Y. That would seem to have been an error on my part - I just chose convenient connection times, not looking at the detail of the domestic selling class.

On coming back through LHR, the flight connections queue was large so I exited through arrivals and re-entered through departures heading to the CCR.

Security south fast track said no fast track for you as you're not flying business. I (wrongly as it now turns out) countered with "business uk" - a bit of to and fro and I'm let on my way.

Now having looked at the booking in detail on MyFlights, the selling classes were A for the long haul and G for the domestic.

Oops, I was entirely wrong to say I was in business uk. Mea Culpa.

So the question is, where you fly on one PNR, connecting to/from longhaul A / C / D / I from/to a domestic, and the domestic hasn't booked into Y or J, are you "entitled" to Fast track security and priority boarding (assume no status) at the domestic departure points by virtue of the onward or prior inbound longhaul?

Same question with an avios longhaul Z / U connecting to/from X.

We correctly had lounge access at all points with no problem by virtue of the longhaul sectors. Having been queried at south security I thought I might get declined for priority boarding but no issue.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:36 am

Were the flights booked as part of a hotel/car package? G is usually used for holiday bookings.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Were the flights booked as part of a hotel/car package? G is usually used for holiday bookings.
I thought so too - nope - this was ba.com, flight only.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:38 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rjn21
So the question is, where you fly on one PNR, connecting to/from longhaul A / C / D / I from/to a domestic, and the domestic hasn't booked into Y or J, are you "entitled" to Fast track security and priority boarding (assume no status) at the domestic departure points by virtue of the onward or prior inbound longhaul?

Same question with an avios longhaul Z / U connecting to/from X.
To both revenue and reward scenarios the answer is no. The only benefit would be the lounge access.

It is a new one on me to see a revenue J or F booking where the domestic has booked in to G class btw.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:42 am

Can I ask what your booking was? Did you stopover or have an overnight connection in London on the outbound by any chance?
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KARFA
Did you stopover or have an overnight connection in London on the outbound by any chance?
That might be it - I had a 1 night stopover in London on the outbound. Booked as exactly that on ba.com. I can't be doing with the stress of potential IRROPS on a same day connection outbound (once bitten, never again!).

I have another upcoming booking to MAN LHR DEN with a similar 1 day stopover. Booked as A and J fare classes, also booked on ba.com in the same manner.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by rjn21
That might be it - I had a 1 night stopover in London on the outbound. Booked as exactly that on ba.com. I can't be doing with the stress of potential IRROPS on the outbound (once bitten, never again!).

I have another upcoming booking to MAN LHR DEN with a similar 1 day stopover. Booked as A and J fare classes, also booked on ba.com in the same manner.
I have seen something before with overnight connections for domestics but it was on CE bookings. Usually the domestic flights are in the same booking class as the CE flight (it used to be the domestics would go in to J but that changed recently). Basically I was pricing a MAN-LHR-BGO return, and I found:

Day 1 - MAN-LHR, booking class was O
Day 2 - LHR-BGO, booking class was I
Dat 3 - BGO-LHR-MAN, booking class for I for BGO-LHR and O for LHR-MAN

Price reflected the O booking classes and was significantly cheaper then doing sameday connections in both directions where everything booked in to I class.

Now I don't think I had seen this before and perhaps there is some similar issue going on with your booking? G is an odd one to book in to though. Anyway just a thought and despite a bit of experimenting just now on ba.com I can't get anything other than J class in the domestics for a longhaul A class booking even with an overnight connection. It may not be relevant to your situation but possibly something in it.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't know too much about BA booking classes, but do you need to be differentiating between an overnight connection, and an actual stopover, which by definition on an international itinerary is 24 hours or more?

For less than 24 hours I would assume it would book into the expected premium class, but I suppose if there is an official stopover, that the booking/fare could be split. Just a theory.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 11:58 am
Original Poster

The overnight time gap between MAN LHR and LHR DXB was 16 hours. The flight was constructed using the multi city tool.

I guess it was an oddity (I did book in the significant sale earlier this year and I'm confident I used the BMI discount, but if I did, it is just the same as my upcoming DEN trip), just something to watch out for when adding connections if their specific fare class is of importance to you.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:08 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
I've just had a look at my forward long haul First bookings: MAN-LHR-XXX-LHR-MAN - these include straightforward connections, overnight stopovers at LHR and one with a hotel package included; each of my bookings have the long haul booked in A class with the MAN domestic in J (and this includes full revenue fares or when usings a GUF).

I don't recall ever seeing a revenue fare connection booking in to anything but J class (for long haul First trips) or J or I class for short haul trips. The only exception has been on redemption fights.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:11 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor Badge

This will be the bmi code, which for whatever reason picks up on G class availability and books it on connecting journeys. It usually prices less than a normal booking for this reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.