Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Worrying trend confirmed? Catering 'enhancements' continued in First...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worrying trend confirmed? Catering 'enhancements' continued in First...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: BA LTGold; LH Senator; HHGold; Bonvoy Plat
I sometimes feel that we should all post threads about great F trips - yes it would flood the forum, but it would give balance to one disappointment prompting yet another thread.

I know this is disappointing. It shouldn't happen. As you say, one event isn't proof, and nor is the collection of posts from disappointed people who now seem to find their way here.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:10 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
So if one actually wishes to drink the fine champagne, could one resort to buying one in the duty free and asking the crew to serve it?
It is ridiculous that one might have to do so, of course.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:13 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Let me give another anecdote. I came back from MIA-LHR 2 weeks back. There were 3 bottles of LPGS for the 3 of us in First. I don't drink and one little passenger, being about 4 years old, I hope wasn't drinking much of it. So mum had potentially 3 bottles to get through, and though it would be rude to monitor this, I suspect she managed just a glass or two.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me give another anecdote. I came back from MIA-LHR 2 weeks back [...] 3 of us in First.
Gosh, that's a very low number for end of summer (rubbish season to be in Miami of course, but it is a major AA hub so a main transit point, and most of my MIA-LHR in F have been full or near full!)
Old Sep 19, 2016, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The only First bar that is exchanged downroute is on the SIN/SYD, so if the outbound customers are heavy drinkers the inbound flight is left short, sad but true.
That's interesting to know, thanks for your input CIHY, I appreciate it.

Bars stocked for the roundtrip aren't an issue of course, as long as they aren't ridiculously understocked for the two flights.

Would you happen to know if the loading is being cut, or was the CSD making this up?

Considering the smoothie ran out as well, in both cabins, it wouldn't surprise me if it were true. I've been able to have up to three glasses on some of my previous flights, where I have skipped breakfast, and they were all full to the brim. The smoothie obviously was not catered from LHR.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:25 pm

If the expensive booze isn't opened in a round trip, is it re-used or binned?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me give another anecdote. I came back from MIA-LHR 2 weeks back. There were 3 bottles of LPGS for the 3 of us in First. I don't drink and one little passenger, being about 4 years old, I hope wasn't drinking much of it. So mum had potentially 3 bottles to get through, and though it would be rude to monitor this, I suspect she managed just a glass or two.
That's still only 3 bottles though. And based on the OP, makes you wonder if this is actually the standard loading now - and basically pot luck whether there's an abundance or a drought.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bafan
That's still only 3 bottles though. And based on the OP, makes you wonder if this is actually the standard loading now - and basically pot luck whether there's an abundance or a drought.
Three bottles left on a return leg, presumably when people are more likely to be asleep for longer... so not hard to imagine five bottles being drunk on the inbound.

Even so, 4 bottles/14 pax is not especially generous for a full cabin on average per leg.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 10:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I thought there were non-LPGS champagnes that are not Castelnau on offer in F as well?

I don't drink alcohol on board so I don't pay much attention to the drinks menu but I'm fairly sure there were others on offer?

(Not that BA should be running out of LPGS but I am questioning the comment that implied Castelnau being the only alternative.)

Originally Posted by ukgooner
I sometimes feel that we should all post threads about great F trips - yes it would flood the forum, but it would give balance to one disappointment prompting yet another thread.
We might just identify the 'cause' of the LPGS shortage on the eastbound flight too
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:02 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
For some time there has been an effort from BA to reduce weight on planes by removing items that are within their control. Bottles are heavy, champagne ones particularly so relative to the weight of the contents.

Whilst not F, the last time I was on BA1 (many months ago) I asked for some port after dinner. It transpired, much to the embarrassment of the crew, that BA had cut the rations from two bottles to one - and, indeed, that single bottle was allowed to be half full (or maybe half empty depending on your viewpoint here ...). This was return catered, so BA2 would not have had any on that occasion.

Taking sensible methods to reduce cost is good business practice. Causing customer dissatisfaction on your premium J service, and seemingly lots of F flights, is totally nonsensical. Maybe these examples are few and far between - there are, after all, many hundreds of BA flights with F cabins every week - and maybe they're as a result of miscalculation rather than deliberate intent, but I really fail to see the point of cutting F service so close.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:43 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Taking sensible methods to reduce cost is good business practice. Causing customer dissatisfaction on your premium J service, and seemingly lots of F flights, is totally nonsensical. Maybe these examples are few and far between - there are, after all, many hundreds of BA flights with F cabins every week - and maybe they're as a result of miscalculation rather than deliberate intent, but I really fail to see the point of cutting F service so close.
But it doesn't seem to be just F - there is cost costing in every cabin. At the same time 'compensation' for complaints has been reduced to further save money. My guess is that the number of flights running out of LPGS may well increase (perhaps not on the routes they compete with CX or SQ) until the number of unhappy pax reaches a pre-defined threshold.
I'm sure the calculation is that most customers won't notice and those that do will tend to shrug their shoulders and carry on. Even here on FT a lot of us will complain but keep flying enough to polish our metallic cards. Nothing will change until sufficient passengers look for an alternative and the very strong position ex LON makes that less likely.

For anyone who does change, they are likely to find that most of the competition is doing much the same.......
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Yes, it's not just F that is seeing cuts or seemingly reduced stocks. And sometimes involving even very low-cost items.

I don't get through a lot of alcohol on longhaul, but I do like green tea. When I asked for a cup in CW last month, it was readily produced.

Some time later (but still in the early part of the 11 hour sector) I requested a second cup. The CC reappeared at my seat after a couple of minutes with a somewhat apologetic/embarrassed expression :

"I'm really sorry but we don't seem to have any more green tea on board. I do know that another passenger has also been drinking it"

"Hmm..." I said. " I wonder just how much was actually loaded ?"

"I don't know exactly how much - but I'd say not as much as usual. I can't remember having to turn anyone down before "
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I think I see the strategic direction here by BA, and it makes a lot of sense*. Bear with me on this one.

First, you deliver 'enhancements' by gradually reducing the load volume of various consumables on board; champagne, tea, spirits et al. Eventually as a result, passenger numbers drop off. You now have a much lighter aircraft, less people to cater for, so you can load less goods on board. The plane is lighter still; fuel efficiency charts are through the roof!
Finally, at the limit of efficiency, the plane flies empty of pax and no food or drink of any kind is loaded. Greenpeace love you as now you are environmentally friendly. Fuel efficiency is perfectly optimal. Everyone is happy!

*some or all of the above may be satire.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 1:55 am

Programs: None
I'm planning now to get me and my wife on our first 1st, if there isn't at least a bottle of champagne for each of us on a flight costing more than 1k I'll be disgusted.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:26 am

This is so sad. I have only had a handful of F flights, the most recent (and best) being a few weeks ago on the A380. And I have only ever had brilliant experiences. I certainly get through my share of posh fizz and there has never been any sign of it drying up and we have never been denied anything we have asked for. I would be absolutely heartbroken if there was any suggestion of me having to compromise in F.

On the basis that a bottle of that stuff costs about £100 I would suggest that 10k avios might be a more sensible level of compensation, but if I were on the receiving end of it, it would go no way to repairing the disappointment of an Austerity First experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.