Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Notes from a weary traveller ...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGLFL, LH Sen, Alitalia Platinum, Hilton Plat, SPG / Marriott / Carlsson Gold
Notes from a weary traveller ...

LHR/YUL in J in August. Flight delayed by two or three hours. SS in the CCR kindly offered to reroute me via JFK but were then told by management that my travel needed to be disrupted by at least four hours before they could do anything. Instead of arriving into YUL at 1815 it was nearer 2230, bed around midnight. Food not great. Afternoon tea, at 2130, a joke and seems to be half the size of what it used to be ... CSM totally absent.

YUL/LHR in J a few days later. Huge lines at check-in desk but I had my BP on my phone, so no issue. Shared lounge horrendous ... Nowhere to sit, no wine, no food. Wow. But a great restaurant right opposite with excellent food, decent wine, fast wifi. Great crew on board (extra blanket no issue, etc). CSM was charming in the morning and asked if I'd like breakfast ... Requested the fruit salad. She explained that the were no choices at breakfast - it was yogurt or yogurt, but she kindly raided the crew food to secure me a salad. She said the cut backs were horrendous and extremely embarrassing.

LHR/PVG in F a few days later. On check in told I was now in 2A as 1A had gone technical. Board plane to see 1A taken. Food disappointing. Good hard product (screen great, seat comfy) but reading light in totally the wrong place. Food so, so. I miss the Bistro menu! Nice wines, though, and a CC member who tried hard. CSM said brief hello, which was fine.

PVG/LHR in F three days later ... Great check in experience (so much better than PEK). But pushed to the shared lounge which was dark, gloomy, terrible wifi, poor food, nowhere to work. Moved to CX lounge (which the dragons said I couldn't) ... Light, airy, good working space, better food. I guess it costs BA more to send people there? 2E, not great but I switched flights late so my and not BA's fault. Packed cabin. Went to the galley and pre ordered the veg curry which was actually not good at all. Service so so as one of the F crew was being trained to be a CSM and had to keep attending other issues down the back. But she tried hard ... Half the wines on the menu were not on board which was disappointing. Overall okayish, just not special how it used to be (am I showing my age?!).

Now on a RTW with a mix of CX (just fantastic - amazing food, comfy bed, great bedding, awesome IFE), QF (great attitude, much better food and wine in biz than BA, breakfast better than BA's F class). Back on BA tomorrow for another YUL/LHR ...

Bottom line ... CX and QF hard and soft products sadly leaving BA behind, and far greater consistency in terms of service than BA ... Sad to be writing this.

Best wishes. 1K
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:30 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Feed it back to BA.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Feed it back to BA.
They don't give a toss.

I did the BA238 last week in J. The crew were completely embarrassed with the food offering, especially the second "meal". A few slices of tomato and mozzarella and a brownie. Pretty disgraceful.

The main meal at the beginning of the flight was fairly rubbish too, but at least I can be grateful that the choice of starters was loaded.

I really feel sorry for the crew now who have to deal with such a poor offering.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:00 pm

If you don't feed it back BA will think you find it acceptable.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
+1. I am fully aware many of us are extremely frustrated by BA's lack of responsiveness to complaints at the moment, formulaic responses that pretend to be sympathetic by repeating what you say but offer no solution, yet we need to continue doing it every time. The chance that someone will realise that there is a significant risk that BA alienate a significant proportion of their very frequent travellers if they do not do something urgently is not very high, but if we do not voice our complaints to them, it gets close to 0.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 5:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by orbitmic
+1. I am fully aware many of us are extremely frustrated by BA's lack of responsiveness to complaints at the moment, formulaic responses that pretend to be sympathetic by repeating what you say but offer no solution, yet we need to continue doing it every time. The chance that someone will realise that there is a significant risk that BA alienate a significant proportion of their very frequent travellers if they do not do something urgently is not very high, but if we do not voice our complaints to them, it gets close to 0.
I agree 100% with this view. If we don't persist in providing feedback then BA will assume everything is fine. Equally if the response from BA is irrelevant or doesn't answer the questions posed initially then I insist that someone from Customer Relations in Newcastle calls me to discuss my complaint and their response. Hopefully the message will get through eventually
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Agree that CR need to be kept on at, but, ultimately, the only thing that will really force change is going elsewhere
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold GGL, CCR, Ethihad Gold, Hhonors Diamond
Heading back to London from Sydney on the BA16 today and sitting in the Qantas F lounge. The staff here seem really proud of their product (quite rightly) As has been said so many times, BA staff ground or crew seem either complacent or embarassed about what their company is asking them to do. The decline of this brand is very sad, and maddeningly unesessary.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:05 pm

Feed it back to BA.
The only way to give feedback that BA will listen to is voting with your feet. Continuing to fly a shoddy product only confirms to them what they can get away with.

QR and CX are happily taking my money going eastwards, and I thoroughly enjoy both. AA going west is my choice (but granted, BA get a slice of that pie).
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:18 pm

Even though they know otherwise from their own customer satisfaction stats.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

+1
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GOLD/OWE BA Amex Prem Plus Tesco Airmiles Qantas Bronze IHG SPG Eithad
Originally Posted by gowerb
Heading back to London from Sydney on the BA16 today and sitting in the Qantas F lounge. The staff here seem really proud of their product (quite rightly) As has been said so many times, BA staff ground or crew seem either complacent or embarassed about what their company is asking them to do. The decline of this brand is very sad, and maddeningly unesessary.
Glad you used the QF lounge, we use it all the time albeit BA has a new updated lounge. The QF staff are certainly proud of what they do, and are more than happy to help with anything you want. Bar staff Ronaldo is an asset to the team. We will be there on 1st Oct
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by simons1
Even though they know otherwise from their own customer satisfaction stats.
Where do the customer satisfaction stats come from?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:09 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by BA5E
Glad you used the QF lounge, we use it all the time albeit BA has a new updated lounge. The QF staff are certainly proud of what they do, and are more than happy to help with anything you want. Bar staff Ronaldo is an asset to the team. We will be there on 1st Oct
I don't think BA has a lounge in SYD.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Seat 1K
On check in told I was now in 2A as 1A had gone technical. Board plane to see 1A taken.
I have never had this happen (with any seat) but basically I would view that as someone having lied to me, and I would find that difficult to let go. By all means tell me the real reason in which case I could be amenable, but don't make something up.

OP, I liked the way you simply left the sentences above exactly as they are. Says all you need to say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.