Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JNB Airport / Lounge Options

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

JNB Airport / Lounge Options

I am BAEC Silver and have a few questions about an upcoming trip in SA. I will be arriving to JNB on a small charter around 15:30 and have almost six hours before a 21:10 IB flight in J to MAD.

- Is it worth trying to leave JNB during my six-hour layover, or should I just stay in the airport?
- I have seen reports of the BA JNB J lounge opening at 15:00 or 16:00. Which is it?
- I don't believe I have access to any other lounges. (i.e. Bidvest Premier, Shongololo Lounge (Menzies Aviation), South African Airways Baobab Lounge or SLOW International). Is that correct?

Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: BA GGL
The lounge in JNB is poor, so I wouldn't recommend spending 5 or 6 hours there. If you did decide to go into Johnanesburg, you could easily take the Gautrain, which would have you in Sandton in 15 minutes. Now, Sandton is not exactly the 'real' Johannesburg, but it's certainly a lot nicer than being stuck in the airport! You could have a drink in one of the restaurants in Mandella Sq and watch the world or take a wander round the shops. Maybe even have a massage - 90 minute full body for £30-£40. Great value with such a weak rand! As much as I would love to recommend a trip to one of the local lion parks or other tourist attractions, I would advise against taking a taxi anywhere outside of Sandton, as the traffic in the area can be horrendous and you would seriously risk missing your flight, so the Gautrain is definitely the best option.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH D, QFF, EB
The lounge is definitely not that great, it was open at 15:45 when I got to it. Sandton is a quick and easy ride as Filthy Monkey stated and that would be be my recommendation.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:25 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
I've did a similar trip and asked the same question here - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...o-r-tambo.html

It might have some valuable answers.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Much appreciated. Sandton seems the way to go. Any idea of how early I could check-in luggage with Iberia at JNB?

And just to confirm, would I have lounge access to anything aside from the BA lounge?
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
I understand it's just the BA lounge (which - as others said - is not great).

Gautrain is quick and easy - I would go to Sandton and hit on of the restaurants at Mandela Sq (e.g. Butcher Shop) or inside the shopping mall (Bukhara or Pigalle are my favorites).

While it can take a while to go through immigration on the way out (esp with a couple of flights arriving at the same time), I generally find things in the other direction (check-in, security) to be pretty quick so just try to get to the airport 1h30 before your flight.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 11:57 am

Programs: VS Silver, BA Blue - finally; but hotels.com Gold :)
BA check-in currently opens at 3pm (as does the BA lounge). No idea when IB open shop.

I'd be taking FM's advice assuming the charter arrives in good time.

The Passport lines (out, after security) were terrible last week. The main entrance. I'd also suggest looking up the 'back route'; there was an excellent post with pics a while back on that. Thus keeping a Plan B if Sandton adventures runs over a bit and you need to get thru to airside quickly, .
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

Re-digging up my own thread, I just noticed that https://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-...ungeaccess/JNB has changed whereby Iberia is now listed under the Shongololo Lounge. Is that a recent development?

From what I have read on FT, Shongololo is better than BA Galleries.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I've always noticed that the security / passport control point between International and Domestic is quieter than the central one in International.

signol
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:53 am

Iberia has now disappeared from the one world lounge finder for JNB - any ideas what the current situation is?
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BA, Emirates.
I think time's a bit tight for a trip to Sandton, bearing in mind the few minutes it takes to get from the Gautrain station to Mandela square.

I would nip across to the Protea airport hotel for an early dinner, and bearing in mind the recent snarl-ups at security and immigration, be back for about 6 to 6.30pm.

You can buy access to the Bidvest lounge for about £12-£15 I think, if you prefer to stay in the airport and the BA lounge is closed. The BA lounge is a bit dull, but the showers are good.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:11 am

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I have had this issues before , as a South African who has done this route many times i recommend the following.

Go for a meal at the Intercontinetal Hotel ( Africa's only 5 star Airport hotel ) , you will have a great proper meal and then in a timely fashion swindle to the check in counter in a timely fashion and then the rest is self explanatory ...

Do not bother going into Joburg , It will be getting dark , not the best idea to be walking around....

Enjoy

Last edited by Flame3601; Jan 17, 2017 at 9:09 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: LH, BA, TK
What is "swindle to the check in counter in timely fashion"?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:10 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
What is "swindle to the check in counter in timely fashion"?
Another way of saying then walk to the check in counter and check your bags in time so you don't have to rush
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:11 pm

Any ideas on the current lounge used though?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.