Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I would ring up at T-48 (or just after) and see if a nice agent can help for row 1, then again at something like T-30 if needed. One of those should stay free at OLCI I would have thought, I'm not sure I'd bother for 4A but 2A will ensure you still have a choice of food options.
Thanks. I phoned but seats are under airport (LGW) control and the agent couldn’t change anything. I assume this will be the same at T30, if I phone?
Old Jul 7, 2019, 12:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk

Thanks. I phoned but seats are under airport (LGW) control and the agent couldn’t change anything. I assume this will be the same at T30, if I phone?
Normally I would expect that at T-24 hrs, so it seems a bit soon to me. There again the recent IT turbulence may mean things are being handled differently at the moment.
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Silver
Question WT+ Question...

Well this is great fun! Newly annointed Silver coming back WT+ from YYZ to LGW on 20th September. It's BA 2270.

I always take an aisle seat in the back row in WT+ to avoid jabbing of the IFE screen, people using my seat for pull-ups, and to enjoy a guilt-free full recline. BUT - I'm travelling solo and would LOVE for BA to block a seat next to me. I've selected 16G initially - it's a horrible 2-4-2 777 - my thinking being that if BA do not block the seat next to me, it's less likely that someone would choose to sit in 16F than in the window next to me (16K) if I'd selected 16J... Does this sound like the right approach?

Any insight appreciated!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Provided nobody else takes the seat prior to t-72 then at T-72 you should see the block next to you. If it sticks or not is all down to how busy the cabin is, and how many status customer there are. As you are in WT+. the small cabin is usually (but not always) full. If the cabin is full the block will not stick through to checking closing.

Choosing the isle seat with a middle section rather than with a window is a better choice, provided there is not a group of 3 travelling.
Paul Ockelford likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Provided nobody else takes the seat prior to t-72 then at T-72 you should see the block next to you. If it sticks or not is all down to how busy the cabin is, and how many status customer there are. As you are in WT+. the small cabin is usually (but not always) full. If the cabin is full the block will not stick through to checking closing.

Choosing the isle seat with a middle section rather than with a window is a better choice, provided there is not a group of 3 travelling.
Thank you for posting such a quick reply. I'll keep an eye on the seat availability and move if I see anyone sitting next to me prior to T-72. Luckily it's one of the 52 seat WT+ cabins, so hopefully more chance of open seats. Thanks!
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
I am flying BA102 YYC-LHR in Club on 12 August.
Original aircraft was 788 i.e. no F
Substitute aircraft is 789. The seat map shows a F cabin with 'X' on all the seats. Expertflyer does not show any availability in F.

Does anyone know whether the F cabin will be left unused or used as extra Club seating for (hopefully) Gold card holders?
Old Aug 5, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by FlyingDentist
Substitute aircraft is 789. The seat map shows a F cabin with 'X' on all the seats. Expertflyer does not show any availability in F.

Does anyone know whether the F cabin will be left unused or used as extra Club seating for (hopefully) Gold card holders?
F cabin will be used only when J is oversold. You can set up an alert on EF to monitor if block gets removed at any time. Mind even if F cabin opens up for selection, it doesn't guarantee you'll end up sitting there - BA may decide to close the cabin down at the last minute and shift you back into less desirable seat in CW.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingDentist

On a recent flight CAI-LHR even at check-in it couldn't be selected, however on the way to the airport they seemed start bumping people up and all seats were taken. Wasn't too surprised at that given the number of people that were probably waiting to get on that flight.
Old Aug 5, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold - so flying too much again... plus AA, LX, VS and too many hotel programmes to mention
Originally Posted by flashware
On a recent flight CAI-LHR even at check-in it couldn't be selected, however on the way to the airport they seemed start bumping people up and all seats were taken. Wasn't too surprised at that given the number of people that were probably waiting to get on that flight.
Originally Posted by megaloman
F cabin will be used only when J is oversold. You can set up an alert on EF to monitor if block gets removed at any time. Mind even if F cabin opens up for selection, it doesn't guarantee you'll end up sitting there - BA may decide to close the cabin down at the last minute and shift you back into less desirable seat in CW.
Thank you both for the speedy replies.

Loads on that flight look very light - Expertflyer shows 9 in all J and W buckets. Economy is just about filling up. There are Avios seats in all cabins.

So I guess that i should go to the airport with low expectations...

Thanks again
Old Aug 11, 2019, 2:51 pm
Shl

Programs: BA Gold/ Star Alliance Gold
Question to the experts here: We are just off VIE-LHR, quite full but not sold out. Both gold - our third exit row seat was blocked. After boarding complete, CSM allow people to move to the empty exit row seats. Reason in our row - legs are very long. CSM told me that would be normal procedure and BA would always allow to take whichever seat after boarding complete as long as it was same class of travel. I told him about theoretical seating - he said he had never heard of this and there also was never any communication. He did not know about any seat blocking other than CE middle seat.

is this normal procedure? Do people next time just have to have an eye on blocked exit row seats in EF and request to move there after boarding complete from their cheap seat in row 29 and not having any status?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by Shl
Is this normal procedure? Do people next time just have to have an eye on blocked exit row seats in EF and request to move there after boarding complete from their cheap seat in row 29 and not having any status?
Good summary here (referring to row 1 in Club Europe but applies to exit row in Euro traveller too): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31362677-post65.html
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:11 pm
Shl

Originally Posted by lcylocal

Good summary here (referring to row 1 in Club Europe but applies to exit row in Euro traveller too): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31362677-post65.html
thanks LCY local. However the CSM told me it would be normal procedure to have the choice to take every seat after boarding complete. This would eliminate any status benefits entirely as people would allways move further front and on exit rows where seats are actually blocked by the system. EF even tells them where they can move.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Shl
Question to the experts here: We are just off VIE-LHR, quite full but not sold out. Both gold - our third exit row seat was blocked. After boarding complete, CSM allow people to move to the empty exit row seats. Reason in our row - legs are very long. CSM told me that would be normal procedure and BA would always allow to take whichever seat after boarding complete as long as it was same class of travel. I told him about theoretical seating - he said he had never heard of this and there also was never any communication. He did not know about any seat blocking other than CE middle seat.

is this normal procedure? Do people next time just have to have an eye on blocked exit row seats in EF and request to move there after boarding complete from their cheap seat in row 29 and not having any status?
Its not an official announced benefit, yes cabin crew may let people move. Exit rows are popular. People do not need to look for blocked seats on EF, they just see what seats are empty after doors close.

And yes, many cabin crew will never have heard of TS
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Shl

thanks LCY local. However the CSM told me it would be normal procedure to have the choice to take every seat after boarding complete. This would eliminate any status benefits entirely as people would allways move further front and on exit rows where seats are actually blocked by the system. EF even tells them where they can move.
TS is NOT a formal status benefit. It is not advertised anywhere
george77300 likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:32 pm
Shl

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
TS is NOT a formal status benefit. It is not advertised anywhere
Thanks for the Feedback scottishpoet

Got that and also of course CSM has full cabin authority. Was just surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.