Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2016, 11:37 am

Programs: EK Gold
I lost the TS next to me on Sunday LHR-DME .... fairly full flight, I booked bulkhead seat 9D and E, F were empty, not sure if F was blocked but very unusual for it not to be taken. Just prior to push back one of the crew allowed a family of 3 to relocate taking EF and one tried to sit in blocked 9B ... the guy in A made it very clear he was displeased so she went back to her original seat.. I've got the same seat on the early flight back in the morning .... keeping my fingers crossed !
Old Nov 2, 2016, 6:40 am

Overbooked

Hi, I booked two J award seats on BA11 earlier this year. For some reason BA11 was cancelled and got transferred to BA15. Our in house travel agent tell me that BA15 on Monday 7th November is overbooked in all classes.

Does anyone know what the 'bumping' policy is. I am assuming that award seat holders are top of the list?

Thanks

(GCH)
Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
bumping up policy ... there are a number of threads that discuss this. While not always the case, it appears it is generally seen as a marketing opportunity, allow someone to sample a cabin they do not normally buy in the hope they buy it in the future.

If they need to bump off, BA will look for volunteers. Additionally, overselling is common as Ba will know how many no shows they normally have.

Denied boarding is very rare
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:27 am

So I've just discovered a stupidity in TS.

I'm on BA98 out of YYZ on Friday night. I'm in WTP and I have my seat selected. I thought I'd have a quick look and see what everyone else is seeing.

Expert Flyer looks like this:

Results from ExpertFlyer.com
Code:
Seat Map Search:
Departing YYZ on 04/11/16 for LHR
Flying BA flight 98 in First, Business/Club, Premium Economy, Economy

A   B       D   E   F       J   K   
10  W   X   -       X   +   X       X   X   W   
11  W   -   -       X   X   X       -   -   W   
12  W   X   -       X   X   X       X   -   W   
13  W   -   X                       -   -   W   
        A   B       D   E   F       J   K
Note how 11E is the only 'free' seat - everything else is blocked.

As Gold/GGL - I can go anywhere in the cabin - except the cot seats (I presume I could move to the cot seats if I wanted and called up).

So I logged in as my wife (Bronze) to see what she'd see and did a dummy booking.

She's seeing the 'anybody' view of the flight - e.g. she's just seeing 11E as free. Which is, honestly, a touch disappointing for the bronzes out there - you'd have hoped for a little more.

The ... small ... problem here being that 11E is a cot seat and when I try to put her in it you get the standard 'infant' error. E.g. she can't select anything.

I mean - by all means - restrict seating, but to restrict it so no one except Silver and Gold can book a seat - that's cruel :-)

M.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Bronzes have seat selection at t-7 which is before fly takes over

I appreciate that does not help for "short notice" bookings
Old Nov 8, 2016, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Couple of data points

Last weekend
LHR-CDG 319 10A/10C both GCH 10B shows as blocked and flew empty

The weekend
LGW-VCE 319 10A/10B/10E/10F 2 GCH with lead in 10C and 2 blue only 10D blocked next to non lead GCH
VCE-LGW 319 10A/10B/10E/10F lead in 10E and 10D again shown as blocked

So is TS logic limited to only give one block per PNR?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:34 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by UKTony
LGW-VCE 319 10A/10B/10E/10F 2 GCH with lead in 10C and 2 blue only 10D blocked next to non lead GCH
VCE-LGW 319 10A/10B/10E/10F lead in 10E and 10D again shown as blocked

So is TS logic limited to only give one block per PNR?
I don't understand the "lead in 10C" comment in the first line.

We're all learning about how TS works, and I think the nuances will take a while longer to emerge. But my understanding is that if you were window or aisle, the central seat would be blocked. On a lightly loaded aircraft then two seats would be blocked, but the second seat would be the first to go. So in in your shoes I guess should have booked 10A, 10C (Gold), 10D, 10F (Gold). But obviously if the flight is too full to sustain this you may well get middle seat company. I'm not sure I'm recommending this approach since at least in your case some non status passenger got access to an aisle seat rather than being squashed in the middle, whereas you at least kept two pairs of seats together.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Lead = BAEC account who paid but of course I should have stated 10B (original request) not 10C (changed request see below)

So in in your shoes I guess should have booked 10A, 10C (Gold), 10D, 10F (Gold).
That is why I got confused over 10C as have now moved 10B to 10C but cannot do the same for 10D. Personally I don't like the idea that 2xGCH party of 4 can reserve an exit row for themselves (as you note) hence the original 10A/B 10E/F configuration as two of the party like looking out of the wndow and it seemed fair that the aisle got left for others - until TS blocked one of them.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:59 am

We're all learning about how TS works, and I think the nuances will take a while longer to emerge.... So in in your shoes I guess should have booked 10A, 10C (Gold), 10D, 10F (Gold). But obviously if the flight is too full to sustain this you may well get middle seat company. I'm not sure I'm recommending this approach since at least in your case some non status passenger got access to an aisle seat rather than being squashed in the middle, whereas you at least kept two pairs of seats together.
Now flown and with TS blocking 2 seats we had row 10 to ourselves with 121+2 showing on the A319 manifest! So very pleasant flight for us and perhaps a couple down the back in EF with D blocked.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Hi all. I'm flying BA 212 12/11/16 from BOS to LHR.

Managed to snag 64A at online check in 24 hrs before departure (silver at the moment but this flight will get me to gold). What struck me when loking at expertflyer.com was the number of blocked seats in club. What would be the explanation for this?

-ice
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:29 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by icebird
What struck me when loking at expertflyer.com was the number of blocked seats in club. What would be the explanation for this?
It looks to me that this isn't a very full flight in CW, and given the Veterans Day public holiday, and no half term (etc) in the UK I am sure it's quite a slack time for the airline. Americans had other holidays they could join up here, but they wouldn't be travelling on Saturday if they were doing this. What's more, they have run a Super J service from Boston! OK, not unprecedented, but I'm doubt it was the original plan.

So on a low loaded flight TS is giving some options to non status passengers, including some nice ones (row 21) but balancing that by giving empty seats next to status passengers. Moreover, Super J has only 30 WTP seats, compared to 36 for the 52J version that I bet was originally planned for the service, and so I guess 6 to 10 seats need to be kept for upgrades there.
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:42 pm

It looks to me that this isn't a very full flight in CW, and given the Veterans Day public holiday, and no half term (etc) in the UK I am sure it's quite a slack time for the airline. Americans had other holidays they could join up here, but they wouldn't be travelling on Saturday if they were doing this. What's more, they have run a Super J service from Boston! OK, not unprecedented, but I'm doubt it was the original plan.

So on a low loaded flight TS is giving some options to non status passengers, including some nice ones (row 21) but balancing that by giving empty seats next to status passengers. Moreover, Super J has only 30 WTP seats, compared to 36 for the 52J version that I bet was originally planned for the service, and so I guess 6 to 10 seats need to be kept for upgrades there.
Wow! Very grateful for your thoughtful insights, CWS. I keep learning...

Last edited by icebird; Nov 11, 2016 at 9:51 pm
Old Nov 11, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
The flights and airports here in the US haven't been slack at all today. Everything's busy as usual.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:43 pm

What a lovely surprise to meet CWS in person this evening on the upper deck of a B747. Great to put a face to a name.

CWS, thank you so much for the message you left in my seat congratulating me on reaching BAEC gold. Means a lot to me
Old Nov 12, 2016, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by icebird

CWS, thank you so much for the message you left in my seat congratulating me on reaching BAEC gold. Means a lot to me
All part of the FT service..... No iPad needed for that greeting. Have a theoretically sat good flight over the aisle!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.