Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'd have to look at the flight on EF to get a clue on this, we don't have enough details here. But on the face of it some have got a TS block, but not you. You're not doing any flash with the ticketing are you? Iberia for example? Or crediting to another FF scheme. On the face of it, with a 125 ticket and a Gold card you should have kept the block just as much as 21A and B.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'd have to look at the flight on EF to get a clue on this, we don't have enough details here. But on the face of it some have got a TS block, but not you. You're not doing any flash with the ticketing are you? Iberia for example? Or crediting to another FF scheme. On the face of it, with a 125 ticket and a Gold card you should have kept the block just as much as 21A and B.
All booked through BA and crediting to the BAEC.

It’s this evenings BA164, which is currently airborne.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
All booked through BA and crediting to the BAEC.

It’s this evenings BA164, which is currently airborne.
So TLV to LHR. And unfortunately once it is airborne we lose sight of EF. Given the disruption yesterday, it's possible there was some fast rebooking going on here but I'm clutching at straws really. You do appear to be losing out.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I am in 1F on the 1321 NCL-LHR on Tueday 3rd March - any idea why 1D is showing as blocked today, 10 days before?

Old Feb 22, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by Workie Ticket
I am in 1F on the 1321 NCL-LHR on Tueday 3rd March - any idea why 1D is showing as blocked today, 10 days before?

I believe EF always shows row 1 as blocked as only Golds can select it. If a GCH logged on to BA.com, they could select it. Does EF know you are Gold?

Last edited by OddJobMan; Feb 22, 2020 at 5:43 am Reason: added text.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 7:53 am

Last summer I flew home from SIN to LHR on the A380 i Y. I am BA gold and none of my family members have status with BA. I had 25D and the rest of the family members had 25E-F-G-H. It was quite a full flight. I noticed that the seat next to my son in 25H was blocked (seat 25J) Does the seat block privilegies extend to other members in the family? And the seat was empty also on the flight.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 *Gold
Interesting experience a couple of week’s ago.

Every year my company has a large meeting which is Y only travel to get as many people able to attend as possible. Not an event I love traveling to as its my only long haul economy trip of the year.

On the way back from the US I had selected the front row of economy on a 789, unlimited leg room and the middle seat remained blocked right up to boarding. I had been checking Expert flyer and as I boarded my anticipation of a blocked seat was rising. I really struggle to sleep in Y but with unlimited leg room and the seat space next to me to lean into I’ve actually got a chance of sleeping and not feeling like crap for the next 5 days.

Boarding continued and the seat remained free, then my heart rejoiced on hearing ‘boarding complete’, I’d made it, sleep was possible!

1 second later I heard the FA on the other row and my heart sank “yes of course sir, I think there’s a seat on the other side at the front we can move you to” I Looked over so see a huge man (similar size to me, I’m 6’2” and not cake-shy) prising his way out of a middle seat. The FA shouted over to her colleague standing by me to see if it is free and he looked down at the lovely space next to me.

I’m not proud of my instant reaction, I’m usually very British in these situations but my inner DYKWIA came bursting out as I shortly told him I’m gold and it’s blocked for me.

He of course knew nothing about TS and said he’d never heard of seat blocking so had I bought the extra seat? By now I was calmer and regretting the initial outburst so I explained the system blocks that seat for me unless it’s needed and I believe they are free to put someone in that seat if they needed to. His boss then came with a bottle of water for me, thanked me for just renewing gold and said they would try to keep it free for me.

A couple of minutes later and the large gentleman was lead up to WT+ and sat there. I’m not sure if there was any passive aggression at play by upgrading him after my reaction but it didn’t really matter as I was actually happier with my leg room and free seat rather than the aisle seat with a neighbour that he got. Hopefully he was very happy too.

So, a happy ending for all concerned, although I still cringe at my initial reaction. I guess my only area for improvement is that FAs still don’t seem to know about TS and the customer service would be much better if they did. The original lady could have quietly said she’d check if it was free and go and check if I’m gold or not and then quietly come and spoken to me about it, the second FA could have not seemed clueless and gone on about me buying the seat or not. It doesn’t seem much of a training item - “a spare seat may be blocked for a gold member unless needed so tread carefully when you need to move someone there” I’m not suggesting they never move people to these seats, we know the block isn’t certain, just that they are more aware of the dynamic at play behind a spare seat.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
The complication is that seats are not only blocked for Golds. Just that Golds will be among the last to be released if required.

This is not a published benefit, its a seating algorithm. If it were not for FT you probably would not know this was happening.

if someone wants to move to a vacant seat, what rules do you give to FAs? Check the CIV score and see whose is lowest??

Last edited by scottishpoet; Feb 22, 2020 at 10:26 am
Old Feb 22, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by RobDBA
So, a happy ending for all concerned, although I still cringe at my initial reaction. I guess my only area for improvement is that FAs still don’t seem to know about TS and the customer service would be much better if they did. The original lady could have quietly said she’d check if it was free and go and check if I’m gold or not and then quietly come and spoken to me about it, the second FA could have not seemed clueless and gone on about me buying the seat or not. It doesn’t seem much of a training item - “a spare seat may be blocked for a gold member unless needed so tread carefully when you need to move someone there” I’m not suggesting they never move people to these seats, we know the block isn’t certain, just that they are more aware of the dynamic at play behind a spare seat.
I’ve mentioned TS to friends who are cabin crew, and they have been adamant that it’s not a thing.

And if you see my posts up thread a little, I’m starting to think they may have a point...
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:25 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by jwhite9185
I’ve mentioned TS to friends who are cabin crew, and they have been adamant that it’s not a thing
To the extent that this is not a published benefit then they are correct.

Its a seating algorithm.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
The complication is that seats are not only blocked for Golds. Just that Golds will be among the last to be released if required.

if someone wants to move to a vacant seat, what rules do you give to FAs? Check the CIV score and see whose is lowest??
I think just understanding that the person with a free seat next to them might have a (slightly misguided) expectation that it is blocked for them, would enable FAs to give much better customer service in that situation. Not that they don’t give the seat to someone else when they feel it is appropriate, just that they approach the situation with sensitivity.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by RobDBA
I think just understanding that the person with a free seat next to them might have a (slightly misguided) expectation that it is blocked for them, would enable FAs to give much better customer service in that situation. Not that they don’t give the seat to someone else when they feel it is appropriate, just that they approach the situation with sensitivity.

If it were not for FT then people would not have this expectation. BA has not published any information about their seating algorithm. Neither has Lufthansa who use the same algorithm.

if cabin crew want to allow people to move to vacant seats, then in my opinion its the cabin crews decision. i may not like it.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:41 am

If it were not for FT then people would not have this expectation. BA has not published any information about their seating algorithm. Neither has Lufthansa who use the same algorithm.

if cabin crew want to allow people to move to vacant seats, then in my opinion its the cabin crews decision. i may not like it.
I agree, but FA’s knowing that TS exists would enable them to make those moves with understanding and sensitivity.

I suspect most golds will have realised they have a spare seat next to them more often than most pax, especially if they use expertflyer. Many golds who travel in Y where this matters the most are highly likely to have done some investigation on this kind of thing,...
becks1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 10:54 am

I am not clear how it makes a difference. What level of sensitivity? Ask if its OK? Nobody is going to say yes. What difference in FA behaviour would make this better. How do you do this 'with sensitivity'
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:20 pm

I am not clear how it makes a difference. What level of sensitivity? Ask if its OK? Nobody is going to say yes. What difference in FA behaviour would make this better. How do you do this 'with sensitivity'
“Hello Sir, I see that you are a gold so the system has tried to keep the seat next to you free, however as you know it can’t be guaranteed and I need to move this gentleman into this seat. Thank you for your loyalty, let me know if there’s anything you need”

Good service can be in the way you deliver a message that the receiver doesn’t want to hear.
becks1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.