Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 22, 2018, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
This thread examines BA's use of Amadeus' Theoretical Seating module. This kicks in at T-72 hours before departure, so this thread is primarily of interest to those travelling within the next few days.
Print Wikipost

FAQ : 'Theoretical Seating' : Blocked seats and status

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2020, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Krisz
I’m guessing from your signature that you are blue and I assume all party in the booking is blue or no status.
I have now reached the giddy heights of bronze and had Covid not reared it’s ugly head I’d now be silver.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Theoretical seating worked for me on full flight

Just sat down on a very full LHR-SPU flight and they have managed to keep a spare seat next to me - so far only one in Club Europe.

becks1 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:06 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think that’s more luck tho since isn't actually blocked, and merely just free. if blocked it would show in EF as blue with a white cross in it.

I am guessing the block may have been released as it is so full, but fortunately no one has selected it.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Waggy
Just sat down on a very full LHR-SPU flight and they have managed to keep a spare seat next to me - so far only one in Club Europe.
and demonstrates exactly that blocks are released last on the seat beside golds hence they have most chance of the seat staying free.

theoretical seating at its finest!

it may also show that on a busy flight and you have the best chance of the seat beside you empty do not pick window or row 1 as when they get released they are popular
KARFA and becks1 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold
Originally Posted by KARFA
I think that’s more luck tho since isn't actually blocked, and merely just free. if blocked it would show in EF as blue with a white cross in it.

I am guessing the block may have been released as it is so full, but fortunately no one has selected it.
Yes it was blocked for weeks and was showing as blocked when I checked in and again on way to airport this morning.. There were 2 other blocked seats if I remember one in row 1 and one a window seat a few rows ahead of me so yes if all 3 were gold card holders and all released at same time then both of those seats more desirable that an aisle seat in 8 so ultimately got lucky but theoretical seating gave me best chance of free seat.
KARFA and becks1 like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 7:03 am

Programs: BA GGL
MIA - LHR tonight (BA208) shows quite a few blocked seats in J. Checkin is open as the flight is in 12hrs. What are all the blocked seats?

Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by c1223
MIA - LHR tonight (BA208) shows quite a few blocked seats in J. Checkin is open as the flight is in 12hrs. What are all the blocked seats?
In this case WTP appears to be overbooked, so some will have to be moved into CW seats, plus some Club passengers haven't selected seats yet, and the blocked seats are the intended locations. It will change once check-in opens and it becomes clearer if there are any no-shows or missed connections.
c1223 and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
In this case WTP appears to be overbooked, so some will have to be moved into CW seats, plus some Club passengers haven't selected seats yet, and the blocked seats are the intended locations. It will change once check-in opens and it becomes clearer if there are any no-shows or missed connections.
Which is weird because it’s offering me a POUG to WTP from Y for £189. However I’m going to risk it and try for an AUP at the airport to J.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Which is weird because it’s offering me a POUG to WTP from Y for £189. However I’m going to risk it and try for an AUP at the airport to J.
BA does not like to give out free upgrades, so POUG tries to encourage pax to pay for upgrade, so then BA won't have to upgrade anyone. Customers will be happy as they've scored a cheap upgrade, BA will be happy as they don't need to give out free upgrades.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:52 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I’d say on approx 8 of my last 10 flights in ET, I’ve supposedly had the seat next to me blocked, only to end up with someone next to me, even though there are unblocked seats still available elsewhere on the flight. I know that golds can choose to sit next to me, but can it be overridden by check in agents? The last few row companions I have had have definitely not been Golds or frequent flyers.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:56 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I’d say on approx 8 of my last 10 flights in ET, I’ve supposedly had the seat next to me blocked, only to end up with someone next to me, even though there are unblocked seats still available elsewhere on the flight. I know that golds can choose to sit next to me, but can it be overridden by check in agents? The last few row companions I have had have definitely not been Golds or frequent flyers.
Yes. They are reportedly not supposed to but regularly do.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by megaloman
BA does not like to give out free upgrades, so POUG tries to encourage pax to pay for upgrade, so then BA won't have to upgrade anyone. Customers will be happy as they've scored a cheap upgrade, BA will be happy as they don't need to give out free upgrades.
From what cws said, it looks like WTP is overbooked. Im currently booked in Y and they’re offering POUG at checkin for £189. But if WTP is overbooked, why would they do that?

I guess the question is, how likely is an AUP from Y to J? Probably just have to find out at the airport.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
Would I be right in thinking you select seats towards the front of the cabin? Or exit row? If so then someone turns up at check-in, only middle seats left, they groan, agent does their best by at least making it near the front.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
From what cws said, it looks like WTP is overbooked. Im currently booked in Y and they’re offering POUG at checkin for £189. But if WTP is overbooked, why would they do that?

I guess the question is, how likely is an AUP from Y to J? Probably just have to find out at the airport.
Even if WTP is overbooked, they can still offer these limited upgrade offers depending on how many they can roll forward into the J and F cabin. In your instance they can have maybe one or two available at that price and then roll more from WTP forward into J.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Because they are not overbooked in Club, they can get more money from you and then bump someone else up
alex67500 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.