Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by TheMajor
Completely unacceptable, but ... is she doing taking pictures of herself "post-panic attack, in Business Class" ?? What is that all about.
Yes, this is where the whole blog post loses credibility. Great acting, however.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
So dramatic. Good lord.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, KL FB Ivory, SK EB Basic, FI Saga, DY Reward, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Pref
Independent of the 'blogger's' reactions to the situation, I've (just about) managed to keep my cool in WT with the most ignorant p****k you could be unfortunate to be stuck in a tin tube for nigh-on ten hours with. Extended legroom in front (bulkhead/door in WT on a 772), still insisting on full recline back, harrumphing when asked to go upright at mealtimes. Horribly constricted my own comfort in the process, with no help apart from strong coffee from the cabin crew. THAT could make someone go postal, but in WTP? Guy must have been unhinged...
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:54 am

Programs: BA Gold
Obviously unacceptable by the person behind her. However, I would have let that interaction last about 30 seconds before I left the seat, spoke with a cabin crew member, and got myself moved if at all possible.

What I have trouble understanding is why this went on as long as it did before they moved her? Hard to say without being there.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:56 am

Programs: Nando's Black, British Airways Gold, Hilton Gold, Accor Platinum, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum Ambassador
This behaviour is of course inexcusable. Good on the crew for trying to reason with the rude pax and then moving the victims to a new cabin without too much fuss when reason failed.

Reminds me of a flight I took from SYD to LHR in 2011 - I was sitting next to a lady wearing a nun's habit in WTP who would shake the seat in front and yell in Italian whenever the pax in front of her reclined.

This confused all concerned - the female pax being shaken, everyone in our row, the crew and the nun. Crew and pax tried to intervene to show her how the seat controls worked but she slapped the hands of anyone that came close to her.

This only carried on for 15 mins before the affected pax was upgraded to business and the rest of us chuckled ourselves to sleep.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:59 am

Programs: BA - Gold for Life, CCR & GGL; IC Spire Elite Ambassador; Diamond Hilton Honors; Hyatt Discoverist
Awful situation but the blog is a little over dramatic.

I would have expected a firmer response if this had occurred on an US airline?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:01 am

It started with a Trigger Warning... that was enough for me.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravellerFrequently
Awful situation but the blog is a little over dramatic.
It's hugely overdramatic, would be much better is she told her story without all of that added on - it detracts a lot from it. I guess that's the problem with writing such things shortly after the event, no time to calm down and think about it.
Not convinced by the sexism angle either, the guy just seemed like an *** - for all we know the same would've happened if her husband had been in her seat.

Still, hopefully BA will take appropriate action.

Originally Posted by liamrugby
Must admit I cringed when I saw that.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Well written with good pictures were my thoughts.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:11 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Was the person also mentioned in the blog her husband? He needs to intervene and get a grip of the situation.
And the prize for most sexist comment of the day goes to ....

If another passenger starts to get in any way aggressive or abusive the best course of action is to press the call bell and alert the crew. They are trained to deal with such situations. Another 'random' guy intervening may well have simply inflamed the situation. Alert the crew, then offer assistance if required.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:13 am

Originally Posted by 0415Z again...
Independent of the 'blogger's' reactions to the situation, I've (just about) managed to keep my cool in WT with the most ignorant p****k you could be unfortunate to be stuck in a tin tube for nigh-on ten hours with. Extended legroom in front (bulkhead/door in WT on a 772), still insisting on full recline back, harrumphing when asked to go upright at mealtimes. Horribly constricted my own comfort in the process, with no help apart from strong coffee from the cabin crew. THAT could make someone go postal, but in WTP? Guy must have been unhinged...
You see this is where I get genuinely confused. Why shouldn't the chap in front of you not recline (mealtimes excepted)? Are you saying that just because he has extra legroom he shouldn't recline as well? He likely paid for that benefit (or got it through status).

It really is a minefield I think, and regardless of what 'etiquette' there may or may not be, you can bet most people will not know it. Perhaps it should be clearly spelt out 'Do not recline your seat in meal service. Always ask permission before reclining your seat. And if they say no...who knows?'
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:15 am

Not convinced by the sexism angle either, the guy just seemed like an *** - for all we know the same would've happened if her husband had been in her seat.

Man is aggressive idiot on plane towards a women = automatic sexism. I'm surprised the Patriarchy wasn’t mentioned.

Clearly the guy was out of order and should have been dealt with by the crew but there's zero evidence this is sexism based and it seems likely the husband would have had the same response.

Last edited by NWIFlyer; Aug 24, 2016 at 12:47 am Reason: Fix quote issue
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simonrp84
It's hugely overdramatic, would be much better is she told her story without all of that added on - it detracts a lot from it. I guess that's the problem with writing such things shortly after the event, no time to calm down and think about it.

Still, hopefully BA will take appropriate action.

Must admit I cringed when I saw that.
I agree. This was obviously completely unjustifiable, belligerent behaviour from a puerile man. The sense of entitlement truly shone through. I am surprised further action was not taken against this passenger, people have faced tougher consequences for less.

When it comes to misogyny, I definitely think there could be some projection here, especially if you consider the whole tangent about being a woman in the blog . I wasn't there so can't really say, it could be very subtle. However, what's clear is that the offenders behaviour was aggressive all round.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:23 am

Programs: EK Gold, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMajor
Completely unacceptable, but ... is she doing taking pictures of herself "post-panic attack, in Business Class" ?? What is that all about.
I wondered that, as they can not give any true reflection.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What is a "Trigger Warning" (proper noun as indicated by the capital letters)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.