Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disgusting harassment behaviour by seatmate in WTP to SEA. What can be done?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Flyingturkey
ADDITIONAL: I have now read some of her other blog posts and have completely given up mentally defending her. Please read them and make up your own minds.
Assumed basket-case where even the supposed lover thinks it better to just disengage from conflicts involving the basket-case?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:20 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Whilst I have no doubt that the incident happened - there is simply too much detail on crew names in the blog for it not to be traceable and able to be repudiated if false - the aftermath seems rather more telling than the incident itself. Based purely on that, and removing all the associated drama, I have no doubt it was a very unpleasant experience and I doubt that stressed-out photo is acted out, even if somewhat politic in terms of linking to the blog content.

However, the lady's Twitter feed, linked off her blog, has been interesting. Let's just say she seems to have no issue standing up for herself, and picking an argument with those who disagree with her in no uncertain terms ... not exactly the reaction of a shrinking violet, so I understand why there will be questions asked as to exactly how exaggerated the report is in an attempt to drive blog traffic.

Fascinating, as PUCCI said somewhere up-thread.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
Whilst I have no doubt that the incident happened - there is simply too much detail on crew names in the blog for it not to be traceable and able to be repudiated if false - the aftermath seems rather more telling than the incident itself. Based purely on that, and removing all the associated drama, I have no doubt it was a very unpleasant experience and I doubt that stressed-out photo is acted out, even if somewhat politic in terms of linking to the blog content.

However, the lady's Twitter feed, linked off her blog, has been interesting. Let's just say she seems to have no issue standing up for herself, and picking an argument with those who disagree with her in no uncertain terms ... not exactly the reaction of a shrinking violet, so I understand why there will be questions asked as to exactly how exaggerated the report is in an attempt to drive blog traffic.

Fascinating, as PUCCI said somewhere up-thread.

I think she's realised that sexism sells!
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
The problem with blogs is that, by their very nature, they involve an element of poetic license. That seems to be the case here. I am sure it was an unpleasant experience, but making an objective assessment would have been much easier if the details of the incident had been set out as a standard report. At best this bloke sounds like a bit of a tit, at worst the situation was borderline criminal. But it is impossible to judge IMO.

Thankfully I have never had a situation like this. I am more than capable of looking after myself, but the normal rules of engagement don't really apply on an aircraft. Giving someone a slap (at least on the plane) is not really an option, which is why I would turn the other cheek for 99% of situations.

As an aside, I thought all flights to the US had to have an air marshal, or is that only for US carriers? Would a marshal become involved in something like this?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:36 am

Why did she make such a big deal of it...?

Me: *Reclines seat*
Person behind: 'Put your seat back up!'
Me: 'No.'
PB: *Shakes seat violently*
Me: 'Stop.'
PB: 'No, I can go allll night'
Me: *Calls flight crew* 'Hey, this guy behind me keeps shaking my seat because I reclined it, can you tell him to stop?'
Flight crew: 'Stop doing that .......'
PB: 'Nope lolz'

At this point, I'd either expect the flight crew to tell the guy that the police will meet him on arrival, he either stops or carries on, I either settle down and go to sleep or they move me if he doesn't stop.

No drama.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by January87
Why did she make such a big deal of it...?
Stuff......
No drama.
That's the problem though, some people require drama, little events become causes for their own belief system to unleash itself, all whilst playing the victim. We don't know know what happened as we were not there, but her version oozes drama at any price.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:51 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
<<Intelligent Discussion Intermission>>

Archers Fans - do you suppose that was Rob Titchner on that flight??

Helen would be vindicated!

<<Intelligent Discussion Resumption>>
Old Aug 24, 2016, 6:57 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
It was Jeremy Corbyn, angry that he didn't have enough room to sit on the floor behind this lady's seat in order to protest that BA really should be back in public ownership.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
<<Intelligent Discussion Intermission>>

Archers Fans - do you suppose that was Rob Titchner on that flight??

Helen would be vindicated!

<<Intelligent Discussion Resumption>>
No. Rob's a winner so he would already have been travelling in F (or J if that was the top cabin) and not in WT+.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I may have missed the answer, but the question regarding 'What should the crew do in this instance?' has been posed a few times.

If the answer has been posted, I apologise for missing it.

If it hasn't been answered, could one of the BA regulars answer?

I appreciate we only have one side, but for the sake of the question, let's assume the blog is factual.

Thanks in advance,

M
Old Aug 24, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
However, the lady's Twitter feed, linked off her blog, has been interesting. Let's just say she seems to have no issue standing up for herself, and picking an argument with those who disagree with her in no uncertain terms ...
As with many on the internet, she may have no trouble in standing up for herself from the safety of her own home as opposed to the reality of dealing with a very public, face to face confrontation.

Personally, I'd likely have been pretty upset by it myself, less so if I had my bloke with me though.

Was it sexism or a man just being a complete arse?
I don't know.
I do know that men tend to be more likely to try stuff on with women than with other men though.

Unless we get an independent viewpoint from someone else on the flight then I'm not sure we will get anywhere with this one.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: QR Platinum, ITA Executive, HH Silver, IHG Silver
I agree with the others - experience, while certainly stressful and unpleasant, has nothing to do with sexism.

I have read a few posts on her blog, and the author seems quite big on exaggeration and sexism. My personal favourite is accusing airport security of being sexist. Reason? Women need more liquids on board. I am not joking.

Calling a fellow passenger who failed to close a window shutter "heinous and rotten and selfish" is probably also a bit extreme. And that guy wasn't even remotely rude.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
I may have missed the answer, but the question regarding 'What should the crew do in this instance?' has been posed a few times.

If the answer has been posted, I apologise for missing it.

If it hasn't been answered, could one of the BA regulars answer?

I appreciate we only have one side, but for the sake of the question, let's assume the blog is factual.

Thanks in advance,

M
The Captain would have decided if further action was required, it doesn't seem like they felt it necessary and separating them was enough, an incident form would have been completed and sent to our security department.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:07 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by patersoj
As with many on the internet, she may have no trouble in standing up for herself from the safety of her own home as opposed to the reality of dealing with a very public, face to face confrontation.

Personally, I'd likely have been pretty upset by it myself, less so if I had my bloke with me though.

Was it sexism or a man just being a complete arse?
I don't know.
I do know that men tend to be more likely to try stuff on with women than with other men though.

Unless we get an independent viewpoint from someone else on the flight then I'm not sure we will get anywhere with this one.
I would encourage you to look at the actual language used (well, actually I wouldn't if that makes more sense!). It is of a level of abuse and profanity that would not be remotely acceptable in these forums, plus many of the Tweets continue to take the 'victim' line and are merely designed to drive people back to reading her blog. What may well have started out as a genuine piece written with the best intentions now feels very, very manufactured.

I have enormous sympathy for how the original incident must have made her feel, as I said in the post that's been partially quoted, but less so for the opportunism that continues to be displayed. It's certainly not the dignified, controlled reaction that she apparently displayed on-board.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Can I help you
The Captain would have decided if further action was required, it doesn't seem like they felt it necessary and separating them was enough, an incident form would have been completed and sent to our security department.
Do you still do the yellow card / red card thing on board?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.