Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOB Snack Trial on Long Haul

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:46 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Davidjonesk
'Awful food' as you put it will have high margins.

Healthy food, less so.
and more likely to sell, especially to parents trying to keep their kids quiet. Brightly coloured M&Ms v an apple ??? No contest

Any BoB offer was always going to be similar to what LCCs sell today.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
I hope the crews involved in the trial hide all this stuff so the trial falls on its face.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:55 am

Originally Posted by AirNurse
I appreciate the sarcasm, but surely when you book with a "premium" airline for a longhaul flight, paying in excess of $1100 for the privilege, it's not unreasonable to expect to not have to buy snacks onboard. There are many, many LCCs that serve that particular market, and you can expect to pay a whole lot less. At least when you book with a LCC you expect less, and aren't being lead astray by decades of branding and marketing.
This is how capitalism and the free market work.

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

But of course the overwhelming majority will still fly BA. And BA profits will rise further thus vindicating the decision as the bottom line is the only metric that matters.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:58 am

My god, they are actually going to do it. norwegian product with the price tag of a full service airline.

The truth is, this won't affect me directly as I don't fly economy if I can help it and I would even then only fly WT If BA were the cheapest, and they rarely are. But it bothers me that a once-decent option for long haul economy is getting hammered. I won't always be lucky enough to fly in premium cabins. I dread to think what WT will look like next time I have to fly it.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 1:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
So it's finally happening. Can't say I'm surprised.
One thing I used to like about BA was the idea of buying your ticket, then not having to worry about getting your wallet out again for the rest of the trip - vs hidden charges round every corner on the LCCs.

Clearly BA are now going down the latter route, but I'll admit I would rather they sold us decent food than offered ambient nonsense FOC.

Originally Posted by edi-traveller
BA - the premium airline - withdraws the second meal.
Not a premium airline, rather a 'normal' airline.
BA associate with Tesco - this is how much of a premium brand they are. BA might have CW and F, but Tesco have their Finest range.
Think LCCs as being Lidl/Aldi and BA as being Tesco and I think that is the correct expectation. Maybe Emirates would be Waitrose, but having never tried them I can't vouch for that.

Originally Posted by headingwest
I really do think that this is their Tesco moment.
Indeed. Maybe they'll recover, maybe they won't. However as it stands they are in the same position as Tesco were, playing on their market position to cut corners and fuel greed. One day they'll suddenly realise that their customers have disappeared.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:04 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94
Not a premium airline, rather a 'normal' airline.
BA associate with Tesco - this is how much of a premium brand they are. BA might have CW and F, but Tesco have their Finest range.
Think LCCs as being Lidl/Aldi and BA as being Tesco and I think that is the correct expectation. Maybe Emirates would be Waitrose, but having never tried them I can't vouch for that.
By that measure, QR and CX are Fortnum & Mason
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Bluebirdnick
The truth is, this won't affect me directly as I don't fly economy...
I've not seen any indication that this is for economy only. For example, the CW kitchen has already been cut back. If the trial is successful, how long before it disappears for good?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:08 am

Programs: UA, QF, VA
Several years ago, I used to go out of my way to fly BA when in Europe. Sadly, they are no longer worth the price premium.

Why on earth would I pay full service airline prices for LCC service?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, several other less interesting cards...
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Even AA are starting to look like Waitrose. Who'd have thought a few years ago that we'd be saying that?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:12 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by rossmacd
QR is Harrods - literally, and figuratively!
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I flew Monarch (Gatwick-Rhodes) recently and found that the experience from checkin to arrival was far better than my recent flights on BA.
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by msm2000uk
QR is Harrods - literally, and figuratively!
Very true ^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by srbrenna
Even AA are starting to look like Waitrose. Who'd have thought a few years ago that we'd be saying that?
I would never have dreamed it, but I'm always choosing AA metal westbound over the Atlantic and are now streets ahead of BA ^
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:19 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
Why aren't they trialling selling actual food? They cut the second meal and replaced it with a snack. Now they want to sell more snacks. Why not try selling sandwiches/wraps now that they are not available anymore?
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:21 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
Wow, just wow.

Cruz is the devil and will oversee to the total brand destruction of BA. It might just be a little thing like this but on top of the already scrapping of the second meal it is making BA worse then LCCs. They have no identity at all and don't know what they want to be.

I had a great chat with a CSM on Monday about all the little cuts and he is embarrassed by them and it makes their tough job even harder apologising all the time. It isn't as if BA are cheap.

By contrast a Friend flew VS Y recently and raved about the ice cream during the meal, the snack

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.