Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Senior Citizen discounts

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Senior Citizen discounts

I noticed that BA gives discounts for members of AARP in the States see article today in the boardingarea.com. Are there any similar discounts available for Senior Citizens in the UK?

Also does anyone know whether, if you join AARP as an overseas member ($28 a year), you would be able to claim the AARP discount on BA flights booking from the UK
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:49 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
No. See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-us/...ember-benefits

12. This exclusive AARP member offer is open to US residents paying in US dollars only, with travel originating in the US.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Thanks for this.
Surely this is something BA should think about for the UK
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:22 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Thanks for this.
I'm sure they have (and discounted the idea). Every special interest group will obviously think that they should have a discount. Students? NHS / public sector workers? I don't fit in to any of these groups but I'd suggest that students might be a bit more 'worthy' of a discount than senior citizens.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by ptr120
I'm sure they have (and discounted the idea). Every special interest group will obviously think that they should have a discount. Students? NHS / public sector workers? I don't fit in to any of these groups but I'd suggest that students might be a bit more 'worthy' of a discount than senior citizens.
I would tend to disagree with that, for purely selfish reasons
Old Aug 1, 2016, 2:45 am

I'm sure BA only offers this discount because they commercially have to (because other US airlines do it); it's not for altruistic reasons to be kinder to old people.

Any kind of discount like this seems odd to me. But then I start to think about the airline ticketing system in general and contextually it seems completely normal.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 7:45 am
Original Poster

The only reason I thought that they may want to offer it here is that they are the British flag carrier and they offer US senior citizens a discount which is not available to their own countrymen and women. I find that really odd
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
I am 67 and fly pretty cheap already on BA,but a discount would be nice.....
Old Aug 1, 2016, 8:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by London_traveller
I'm sure BA only offers this discount because they commercially have to (because other US airlines do it); it's not for altruistic reasons to be kinder to old people.
Can you please point to any other US based airlines that provide either an AARP discount or even a senior citizen discount?

Regards
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

SAS did special discounts for their oldies although that may have been done away with when they became financially embarrassed.

Iberia used to get a lot of business from elderly Spanish citizens residing in Latin America. The Spanish Government subsidised their annual holiday back to Spain. That was stopped a couple of years ago though.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:24 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by philthegreek
Why? Senior Citizens probably have significantly more disposable income compared to many younger people in the UK. Many have benefited from financial perks that younger generations can't even dream of (especially if they were home owners). Combined with gold-plated final salary pension schemes many have a retirement lifestyle that won't be replicated by future generations. So OAPs should be at the end of the discount line in my opinion.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA silver.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Can you please point to any other US based airlines that provide either an AARP discount or even a senior citizen discount?
United
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...s/default.aspx

Also Delta. Both only do so to 'selected markets' though - I'm thinking Boca Raton

And Southwest:
https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...index-pol.html
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Ah yes, those poor pensioners with their 'triple lock' ......

Note that the AARP deal is massively abused because ANYONE can join as a member for $16, even me. Even my kids. They would then get $400 off a BA CW flight ex US. AARP has presumably seen a huge surge in membership recently.

Similarly, even if you don't have a car, it is worth paying £30 for the cheapest AA breakdown deal available. You can then book AAA hotel rates (AA is an official AAA partner) and, as AA cards carry no expiry date, you can treat the £30 as a one off lifetime investment!

Last edited by Raffles; Aug 1, 2016 at 9:43 am
Old Aug 1, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gms
Why? Senior Citizens probably have significantly more disposable income compared to many younger people in the UK. Many have benefited from financial perks that younger generations can't even dream of (especially if they were home owners). Combined with gold-plated final salary pension schemes many have a retirement lifestyle that won't be replicated by future generations. So OAPs should be at the end of the discount line in my opinion.
You sound like the young trainees I used to work with. They always objected to us oldies earning more than them.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 11:09 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
You sound like the young trainees I used to work with. They always objected to us oldies earning more than them.
Whereas now the oldies just seem to moan about how poor they are and seemingly can't afford to pay normal prices for their tickets (whether it be flights or their bus passes)

But seriously, if anyone thinks the 2008 financial crisis, or Brexit (oh thanks again for that one old-folk ), delivered serious economic crises, then wait 20-30 years when the real pensions bubble will hit. That's going to be a real mess. Of course most of the people who created it will be pushing up the daisies by then, having had a nice retirement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.