Wiki Posts
Search

Fast Track for GCH @ LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
Fast Track for GCH @ LHR

I and other GCHs on my flight into LHR from the EU yesterday evening were given fast track passes to clear security.

It seemed a nice gesture. As it happens, there was only one staff member checking passports in the fast track lane and it ended up being slower than the normal lanes!

I've never seen this before and thought it wasn't available to UK passport holders anyway. Is this a new thing?
Attached Images   
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:13 am

Programs: AC 35K
You mean immigration rather than security, corrrect? This has existed for a while.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Indeed not new, the hint is the reference to Terminal 1, and as the invitation says on it, it's not available to EU (or rather EEA+Swiss) passport holders, unless they have their non European children with them. These invitations should only be handed to those who accepted a landing card slip.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Yes, I meant immigration. So, presumably the reason I haven't seen it before is because I was travelling on an EU passport, but then was mistakenly given one yesterday.

The person in the row in front who also received one questioned whether she should be receiving it given she has an EU passport, but the cabin crew confirmed she meant to hand one to her.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, I am afraid some members of Mixed Fleet are in the habit of doing this. They mean kindly.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 6:55 am

It's fairly clear on the back of the invite that it's for non-eu passport holders. You can even just about make it out in your picture.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I am afraid some members of Mixed Fleet are in the habit of doing this. They mean kindly.
So if you receive one would you be able to go ahead with a UK passport anyway, or would the staff at fast track turn you away?

Does a post-Brexit UK passport count as non-EU

Why aren't EU passport holders allowed anyway?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hcuk94
So if you receive one would you be able to go ahead with a UK passport anyway, or would the staff at fast track turn you away?

I did note the specific exception for EU passport holders stated on the fast track slip but decided to use it anyway.

My experience yesterday suggests they don't turn you back when you get to the front of the queue with your UK passport. Though the immigration officer did ask where I'd flown from.

I thought maybe this was some kind of post Brexit trial run!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Only attempted to use these once (T4 I think) as an EU passport holder, in full knowledge I was going to get turned away by the BA person at the entrance - but allowed me to join the horrendous normal queue at about the halfway point. So always take one if offered as it might come in useful!
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by hcuk94

A UK Border Force officer would deal with you if you got to the counter, but HAL and BA normally try to stop you getting that far. The logic is that EEA+Swiss have the right of entry (mostly) and can use the e-gates and staffed channels for them. Despite occasional lapses, and whinges here, 99% of people are through in 20 minutes or less, 80% in under 5 minutes. The rest of the world needs more processing, a landing card and there is no inherent right of entry either, even with Indefinite Leave to Remain. Processing time is typically 20 to 40 minutes but it can go higher.

So BA pays the Border Force to keep one or two officers dedicated to premium non EEA customers, in the hope they get through in under 30 minutes. Mostly that happens but if one officer is dealing with a Tier 2 arrival and needs fingerprints and what not, then this channel will suddenly get slow. Adding EEA citizens into this isn't sensible from anyone's perspective.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I remember asking this question a long time ago in another thread,but did not get an answer. Is it actually legitimate to use fast track immigration when arriving on a non-BA flight at T3? I just always hand my RJ OWE card to them,they look confused,but let me thru. That said I have a few of those unused BA vouchers in my bag just in case.

PS:A related DYKWIA story: I once was behind a woman with a British passport in the fast track queue,she even completed a landing card. The immigration officer told her that she did not have to fill it in,to which she replied "...but I want to use the fast track"
Old Jul 31, 2016, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
I've been offered one of these on several occasions but have to turn them down. It seems a few cabin crew don't know Fast Track at immigration is only for non-EU passengers.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
A UK Border Force officer would deal with you if you got to the counter, but HAL and BA normally try to stop you getting that far. The logic is that EEA+Swiss have the right of entry (mostly) and can use the e-gates and staffed channels for them. Despite occasional lapses, and whinges here, 99% of people are through in 20 minutes or less, 80% in under 5 minutes. The rest of the world needs more processing, a landing card and there is no inherent right of entry either, even with Indefinite Leave to Remain. Processing time is typically 20 to 40 minutes but it can go higher.

So BA pays the Border Force to keep one or two officers dedicated to premium non EEA customers, in the hope they get through in under 30 minutes. Mostly that happens but if one officer is dealing with a Tier 2 arrival and needs fingerprints and what not, then this channel will suddenly get slow. Adding EEA citizens into this isn't sensible from anyone's perspective.
Thanks CWS - makes sense ^

I always find the e-gates perfectly tolerable, and although there can be a large, threatening looking queue it moves very quickly, and once I'm at the gate it works perfectly. A lot of people seem to struggle but I can't really work out why... it recognises me just fine every time.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 4:09 pm

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Could this be T5 specific limitation, since T5 is dedicated to BA who no doubt fund it all, and thus ave greater say in day2day running

Other LHR terminals are used by multiple airlines, SQ give T3 fasttrak passes to all J/F passengers no matter nationality (i have a dozen or so spare by now) and MH at T4 likewise.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:51 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I'm non EU, and I only get these sporadically. Should I be asking when I'm not handed one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.