Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London City Airport expansion approved

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:42 pm

Assad Ahmed just claimed on BBC London that LCY will get a bigger runway. Gotta love the media's attention to detail on aviation stories...
Old Jul 27, 2016, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Well, until recently there was a small plane going daily to TLV (on the ex-BMI 321).
I wouldn't call that a small plane by any stretch of the imagination! I meant small as in LCY small, ie typically E70/E90, which is half the capacity of the midhaul 321.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 5:22 pm

why would they do a lounge now given that its worked fine without thus far? when space is such a premium and short checkin lead times will remain the offered advantage
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:16 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I wouldn't call that a small plane by any stretch of the imagination! I meant small as in LCY small, ie typically E70/E90, which is half the capacity of the midhaul 321.
Yes, I understand. I was thinking of something more similar to an A319 but have no idea if this is doable under the current conditions. Anyway, the trip eastbound is quicker so this might be a good starting point.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:33 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum
Can someone explain why there is no Crossrail station at LCY? I seem to remember reading that it was down to some political problems but I can't recall the details.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, AF Ivory
There will be a walkway and possibly magic carpets a la t5 tunnel to the nearest cross rail station
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Assad Ahmed just claimed on BBC London that LCY will get a bigger runway. Gotta love the media's attention to detail on aviation stories...
Why research the facts, that takes effort!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Camflyer
Can someone explain why there is no Crossrail station at LCY? I seem to remember reading that it was down to some political problems but I can't recall the details.
Not politics but the practicality of the location of the existing track they are using - lack of a long enough straight section to build a platform - and not much space to build a station at the surface.

Not ideal but you could get crossrail to Woolwich Arsenal then the DLR back to LCY. There will also be a regular bus service to LCY from Custom House Station.

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:05 am
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, VS Gold, Virgin Trains Traveller, Her Majesties Secret Service.
Originally Posted by Innocent Abroad
Yes, I understand. I was thinking of something more similar to an A319 but have no idea if this is doable under the current conditions. Anyway, the trip eastbound is quicker so this might be a good starting point.
I think only the A318 Babybus can land at LCY... at least according to the list of aircraft I read. I believe the aircraft need a modification to allow for the steeper glide slope too.. although I could be wrong.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:50 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by dnajockey
There will be a walkway and possibly magic carpets a la t5 tunnel to the nearest cross rail station
Do you have a source for that or is it an attempted funny?

It seems madness not to have a station at LCY given that the tunnels pass underneath the airport and the airport offered to fund the extra works for the station:

http://www.wharf.co.uk/news/local-ne...n-lcy-11406486
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Look at the map in Ian Visits article

Where are they going to build a station?

Just because the tunnels pass underneath part of the airport does not mean it is easy to just build a station

In this article linked from the one you posted -

TFL - “We have not had a formal feasibility study from London City Airport and we are focused on delivering the current project on time and to budget.”

"Mr McLoughlin said the airport would have to show the project required no public money, would not affect Crossrail’s 2018 completion date and would not increase journey times before it could be considered."

"A City Airport feasibility study found that the station would increase journey times by just two-and-a-half minutes and could be built after 2018 without affecting Crossrail."
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by gw76
why would they do a lounge now given that its worked fine without thus far? when space is such a premium and short checkin lead times will remain the offered advantage
Where did you get info about a lounge? I haven't seen that in any of the details.

It's also not accurate to state it's worked fine up to now. Having transited through the terminal at 'zoo' times of the day and end up in departures with time to spare, aside from the fact lounges are meant to be a core part of the BA proposition for premium or status travel, doesn't mean all is fine. That aside from getting caught with a delay. With the increase in BA flights and the substantial network coverage from LCY that BA has and will have, it's poor indeed they don't use this expansion opportunity to sort the issue out. The found the will to sort it for the JFK flights quick enough.

It's interesting in the detailed plans there is some considerable space in the main terminal building for airport offices and internal meeting rooms. There's no need at all for them to be located in the main terminal building literally adjacent to the departure lounge, when in fact that would be perfect space for a lounge.

However, it would require a will for BA to invest in something new for its passengers. So obviously it's not going to happen. Missed opportunity though.

Sorry this is a bit ranty. But the apologists for lack of a BA lounge at such a significant location in terms of flights/passengers gets my goat.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:06 am

Completely agree with the lounge argument above. While people generally don't transfer though LCY, flights get delayed often enough, so the (relatively) quick check-in/security process is no excuse.

No Crossrail station is unfortunate, though seeing as Crossrail won't reach T5 either, I think there are larger glaring omissions in the whole project.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:16 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by London_traveller
Where did you get info about a lounge? I haven't seen that in any of the details.

It's also not accurate to state it's worked fine up to now. Having transited through the terminal at 'zoo' times of the day and end up in departures with time to spare, aside from the fact lounges are meant to be a core part of the BA proposition for premium or status travel, doesn't mean all is fine. That aside from getting caught with a delay. With the increase in BA flights and the substantial network coverage from LCY that BA has and will have, it's poor indeed they don't use this expansion opportunity to sort the issue out. The found the will to sort it for the JFK flights quick enough.

It's interesting in the detailed plans there is some considerable space in the main terminal building for airport offices and internal meeting rooms. There's no need at all for them to be located in the main terminal building literally adjacent to the departure lounge, when in fact that would be perfect space for a lounge.

However, it would require a will for BA to invest in something new for its passengers. So obviously it's not going to happen. Missed opportunity though.

Sorry this is a bit ranty. But the apologists for lack of a BA lounge at such a significant location in terms of flights/passengers gets my goat.
I agree that a lounge would be great. I also agree it is part of BA's proposition and, given the lack of an empty middle seat, it detracts from reasons to fly CE from LCY.

I guess the issue is that there has to be a very high number of CE/OWS/OWE passing through the airport. Most won't bother using the lounge most of the time but during delays / bad weather / holidays I can see there being capacity issues. No doubt this would lead to complaints that the lounge was too full and there were no seats, etc. etc.

One obvious solution would be to just put a mini-CCR in there
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by CommanderB
I think only the A318 Babybus can land at LCY... at least according to the list of aircraft I read. I believe the aircraft need a modification to allow for the steeper glide slope too.. although I could be wrong.
I think you're right about the A318 being the only "large" aircraft that is allowed to land in LCY. It seems, anyway, that theoretically a TLV service could be operated by the 318. LCY-TLV is 221,3 miles and LCY-JFK 3472 miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.