Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: golfmad
Please do not quote photos in this thread.
Print Wikipost

The vegan / vegetarian food thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ENTP
Thanks! Despite being an avid carnivore, I will give it a try
You did have me wondering, I thought I’d witnessed you consuming a chunk of meat last time I saw you. I thought your modus operandi had changed! The one at JFK I thought was great, I’ve not tried this version so interested to learn what you think.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
I’d witnessed you consuming a chunk of meat last time I saw you.
FNAR
Old Feb 10, 2020, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold

On my way out to NY at the start of the month I had multiple helpings of a delicious Sri Lankan coconut vegetable soup, an orange salad and the new vegan burger.

Now I am in the JFK CCR. I have had a VGML booked for this flight for 6 weeks, but as always when I ask for a vegan option, or at least vegetarian with no milk (allergy) they seem completely taken aback that such a thing could be requested. They have scraped together a salad, a beyond burger from the other lounge(s) and some raspberry sorbet, but come on BA, this is NY in 2020, do you know how many restaurants in Manhattan don't have a vegan option? It isn't many...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 7:25 pm

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by elwe

On my way out to NY at the start of the month I had multiple helpings of a delicious Sri Lankan coconut vegetable soup, an orange salad and the new vegan burger.

Now I am in the JFK CCR. I have had a VGML booked for this flight for 6 weeks, but as always when I ask for a vegan option, or at least vegetarian with no milk (allergy) they seem completely taken aback that such a thing could be requested. They have scraped together a salad, a beyond burger from the other lounge(s) and some raspberry sorbet, but come on BA, this is NY in 2020, do you know how many restaurants in Manhattan don't have a vegan option? It isn't many...
Is the beyond burger back at JFK ccr? Last month they said it wasn't any longer available from any lounge.

. Obviously you not a fan, but I love em.

Edit . Actually I'm not sure I asked for it last month (Jan) as I'd given up asking. Last time I actually asked was 1st week December, so maybe it's made reappearance since then.

Last edited by crazyarmadillo; Feb 10, 2020 at 7:32 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
They had to go to another lounge to get it, but I did get a beyond burger, a lettuce leaf, two slices of tomato and a quarter of a very big pickle. The bun has milk in apparently.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: BA GfL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by elwe
They had to go to another lounge to get it, but I did get a beyond burger, a lettuce leaf, two slices of tomato and a quarter of a very big pickle. The bun has milk in apparently.
Thanks i wouldnt have bothered asking next week, now I will, appreciate it. Good point re the bun, I was told that too last time I had it.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 5:57 pm

Vegan meal to Gatwick

I flew today from Gran Canaria to London Gatwick.

The main vegan meal was even better than on the outbound. The rest was the same.

Main: 3 vegan patties, similar to falafel but more moist. It was covered with vegan creme fraiche (made of oats I believe). Served with rice and tomato sauce and grilled pears.

Sides: different melons with spiced cashew nuts + dried fruits and nuts with celery

Dessert: fruit salad with dragon fruits.

I like nuts and seeds and fruits but maybe BA could come up with a vegan dessert other than fruit salad.

Nice healthy alternative to other CE meals.

Edit
JustTheOne likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
I flew today from Gran Canaria to London Gatwick.

The main vegan meal was even better than on the outbound. The rest was the same.

Main: 3 vegan patties, similar to falafel but more moist. It was covered with vegan creme fraiche (made of oats I believe). Served with rice and tomato sauce and grilled pears.

Sides: different melons with spiced cashew nuts + dried fruits and nuts with celery

Dessert: fruit salad with dragon fruits.

I like nuts and seeds and fruits but maybe BA could come up with a vegan dessert other than fruit salad.

Nice healthy alternative to other CE meals.

Edit
I had this same Vegan meal on my flight from Gatwick to Paphos on the 15th. It was indeed falafel . In fact, I had the same meal on my flight from Paphos to Gatwick on the 22nd. Except they forgot the vegan part, and everything had added cheddar, cream or feta ??? I would have killed for the fruit salad on the way back, rather than the pot of creamy stuff.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
Lhr - alc 6/9

Ricotta mezzaluna with pea panna (VLML pre-ordered, but the same as the vegetarian option for all passengers). There was also a pumpkin salad offered in the cabin.

Last edited by Dicksbits; Sep 17, 2021 at 6:49 pm Reason: Wrong date
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold

Gnocchi (ALC - LHR 16/9)
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Long-haul CW veggie meal with covid-related restrictions

So with the 'one-tray' long-haul CW offering, I was pleasantly surprised that I got served the 'standard' menu starter and dessert / breakfast sides with both meals to/from JNB (November 2021).

BA055: LHR-JNB 7 Nov 2021
Outbound I took the standard veggie VLML and got the starter, pasta and dessert from the main menu even including butter. So I consider that an improvement.
Breakfast was again from the menu. Unfortunately the 'cheese' sauce surrounding the omelette was absolutely awful, and I couldn't eat it.

FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2021, 9:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
BA056: JNB-LHR 21 Nov 2021
On the return I opted for the asian vegetarian, as I knew I would be pasta'd out and I could always get breakfast once back home, and having flown previously from Durban I had had good experience with their catering so thought I would give it a go. With the AVML I got different starters and no 'dessert', I got 2 salads instead. But I did get the same cheese as the main menu. And margarine instead of butter. The curry was very sweet but nice and tasty.
Breakfast wasn't spicy, a nice tomatoey lentil daal, a potato curry, and something like spinach that I assumed was mohoro / morogo.

FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by konagirl2
BA056: JNB-LHR 21 Nov 2021
On the return I opted for the asian vegetarian, as I knew I would be pasta'd out and I could always get breakfast once back home, and having flown previously from Durban I had had good experience with their catering so thought I would give it a go. With the AVML I got different starters and no 'dessert', I got 2 salads instead. But I did get the same cheese as the main menu. And margarine instead of butter. The curry was very sweet but nice and tasty.
Breakfast wasn't spicy, a nice tomatoey lentil daal, a potato curry, and something like spinach that I assumed was mohoro / morogo.

No Indian vegetarian ever eats dal and spinach for breakfast ... where did the caterer get the idea to pass this off as breakfast instead of offering actual breakfast fare like idli, upma, pongal, poori-aloo, or stuffed paratha like Emirates and the other Gulf carriers do?
konagirl2 likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Any recent experiences? What kind of catering can we expect nowadays on ZRH-LHR and LHR-DEN as VGML in Club? What about ORD-LHR in First? I understand the same as Club but plated differently.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
If vegetarian I would just order on board without requesting in advance, since they always have something. If you're nervous about availability I've found a kind word with the staff on the plane and they will reserve for you, though it rarely tends to be a problem. My last flight in F I wasn't so keen on the option on the return, and was able to have a plate of the sides which was nicely presented and actually very tasty. I had eaten in the lounge so wasn't starving, and ended up having a very large breakfast to make up for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.