Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA 516 operated by Iberia.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

BA 516 operated by Iberia.

I flew LHR-MAD on this service yesterday in Y,silly me.I read that BA had arranged for Iberia to operate some of their MAD services,so I wasn't expecting much change.When the CC came around with the trolley it was 2.30 Euro for a coffee.

I was under the impression that BA code shares were 4 digit flight numbers, not 3 digit as in BA 516.So I book a flight with a regular BA 3 digit flight number and get charged for my drinks.This BAEC GGL member is not a happy bunny.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:47 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
When you book the flight on BA.com, doesn't it show the operating carrier under the flight number?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:49 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
Originally Posted by rapidex
I flew LHR-MAD on this service yesterday in Y,silly me.I read that BA had arranged for Iberia to operate some of their MAD services,so I wasn't expecting much change.When the CC came around with the trolley it was 2.30 Euro for a coffee.

I was under the impression that BA code shares were 4 digit flight numbers, not 3 digit as in BA 516.So I book a flight with a regular BA 3 digit flight number and get charged for my drinks.This BAEC GGL member is not a happy bunny.
It should have shown 'Operated by Iberia Express' upon booking. And that, to me, means not book it if you have any expendable income at all (I don't so I have to but I am not so happy then !).

Iberia express is almost WORSE than RyanAir. No joke.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
Some services on that route are run by Iberia with BOB in Y. Others are "Iberia for British Airways", I.e. scheduled BA services being run with Iberia metal and crew during BA's summer peak, with BA food and drink. The typical sullenness of Iberia crew aside, these services are fine. It sounds like you may have been on one of the former.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
When you book the flight on BA.com, doesn't it show the operating carrier under the flight number?
Yes it does; third party online booking agencies may not be so clear though.

Here is the current breakdown:

LHR-MAD
British Airways operated (BA in-flight service)
BA456, BA462, BA464

Iberia operated (IB in-flight service)
BA510, BA512, BA514, BA516, BA518, BA520, BA522, BA524

Iberia operated (BA in-flight service)
BA458, BA460

MAD-LHR
BA457, BA463, BA465

BA7050, BA7052, BA7054, BA7056, BA7058, BA7060, BA7066, BA7068

BA459, BA461
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Perhaps the trunk routes on the IAG network (so basically MAD-LHR, LHR-DUB & DUB-MAD) should see some standardised level of catering being offered.

If the accountants decide that's pay for everything then so be it, but at least passengers would know where they stand.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think when I booked this long ago it was a BA service.Looking carefully now some flights say Iberia for BA and most just say Iberia.

I then need to look to another page to see if it is bob or free coffee.How far is one supposed to go to find out what kind of service is available on 2 types of Iberia flight with a BA codeshare.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:10 am

Programs: BAEC
Having flown this on Friday in J, I thought the service and food was a notch above CE although the LH J seating looked out of the 90s.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 3:27 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by rapidex
I think when I booked this long ago it was a BA service.Looking carefully now some flights say Iberia for BA and most just say Iberia.
This is very confusing, but if you booked BA516 then this flight from start was operated by Iberia. Any BA4xx flight would be a British Airways flight, any BA5xx on LHR-MAD route would be Iberia operated flight.

This is a "special route" as BA and Iberia has a monopoly there. All flights departing to Madrid depart from BA's T5, everything is handled by BA and till boarding all standard BA rules apply. On board you'll get Iberia's rubbish service though. And when you land at Madrid, your "BA516" flight may not be displayed at all so you'll need to know your IB flight number or ask at the baggage reclaim desk where to look for your luggage (happened to me twice!).

I have a MAD-LHR next week booked long time ago, it's a BA flight, but it will be operated by "Iberia for British Airways" - can't wait to see how bad or good this flight will be.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 4:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver,clubcard,clubcard plus, BA Amex................ And Mucci x3 ;)
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Perhaps the trunk routes on the IAG network (so basically MAD-LHR, LHR-DUB & DUB-MAD) should see some standardised level of catering being offered.

If the accountants decide that's pay for everything then so be it, but at least passengers would know where they stand.

For what my opinion is worth I think that's a splendid idea as far as customers go.

cs
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by Prospero

LHR-MAD

BA458, BA460

MAD-LHR

BA459, BA461
Mrs and Master PtF are on BA460 this week. At the time of booking (8 April 2016) this was definitely a BA-operated flight, but a notification from My Flights (not BA) on 14 June 2016 confirmed it was now an IB-operated flight - although seats 1A and 1C were retained from the original booking (it looks as though seats 1D and 1F don't exist on IB for this flight).

They are also on BA459 the second week of September, together with my sister and brother-in-law - and have seats 1A, 1C, 1D and 1F. However it looks as though this remains a BA-operated flight - I guess the temporary arrangement may be over by then.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:37 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Phil the Flyer
Mrs and Master PtF are on BA460 this week. At the time of booking (8 April 2016) this was definitely a BA-operated flight, but a notification from My Flights (not BA) on 14 June 2016 confirmed it was now an IB-operated flight - although seats 1A and 1C were retained from the original booking (it looks as though seats 1D and 1F don't exist on IB for this flight).

They are also on BA459 the second week of September, together with my sister and brother-in-law - and have seats 1A, 1C, 1D and 1F. However it looks as though this remains a BA-operated flight - I guess the temporary arrangement may be over by then.
Yes, they were BA operated, but now will be IB operated. I am on BA460 as well in a few weeks time. More information here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...behalf-ba.html
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold [>20k Lifetime TPs] | Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond [as is Mrs PtF] | Various Others
Originally Posted by KARFA

Yes, they were BA operated, but now will be IB operated. I am on BA460 as well in a few weeks time. More information here http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...behalf-ba.html
KARFA - thanks, mystery solved! The thread you directed me to states an end date of 4 September; my lot are flying BA459 the second week of September (connecting from CX CEB-HKG-MAD).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
This has been an issue for every jointly shared airlines trunk routes (e.g. CDG-AMS on AF-KL, FRA-ZRH on LH-LX, etc) as well as JVs for that matter) and I guess that there is no perfect way around it.

As you point out, from a route-specific point of you, it would seem to make sense to harmonise the product as its heterogeneity is frustrating for customers.

But of course, if you do that, you simply "displace" the product heterogeneity at a network level with customers being equally upset that they got free food and drink on their MAD-LHR and that now that they flying an eve longer MAD-FRA they are being asked to pay and how come. And conversely, imagine that they do the same in C where in my view, the IB product is significantly better, I can easily imagine people complaining that they received a nice full hot meal at 10am or 3pm on their 2h30 LHR-MAD but are only getting a silly afternoon tea or "brunch" snack type meal on LHR-HEL which is nearly an hour longer.

And of course, this assumes the not at all obvious notion that it would be harmonised on the higher offering (assuming this can actually be defined) while it could be harmonised on a "medium" or "low" value instead. Indeed, is the idea that in Y, you would get free food and full bar (BA) but also seat assignments for OWE/OWS on all fares without HBO exception? And in C do you get hot meals throughout the day as well as Sherry and Spanish liqueurs (IB), but also Champagne (BA) and both herbal tea collections?

And if it is indeed harmonised upwards, who will be picking up the bill(s)?

To my knowledge, ultimately all jointly-owned airline groups ended up choosing to keep network homogeneity rather than focus on route homogeneity with the exception of AF-KL introducing premium economy on all CDG-AMS flights for a relatively short period of time but arguably that was not a product harmonisation but mostly an attempt to provide of all AF's three travel classes on all CDG-AMS flights. I doubt that BA-IB will do more and if they ever did, I would imagine that it would be in the form of piloting any attempt to worsen the Y product on their MAD route.

PS: as a footnote, the BA arrangement is absurdly complex with the mix of codeshared and leased IB flights and I can understand how many passengers, let alone non-frequent ones - would be frankly confused.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Prospero
Yes it does; third party online booking agencies may not be so clear though.

LHR-MAD
BA456, BA462, BA464

BA510, BA512, BA514, BA516, BA518, BA520, BA522, BA524

BA458, BA460

MAD-LHR
BA457, BA463, BA465

BA7050, BA7052, BA7054, BA7056, BA7058, BA7060, BA7066, BA7068

BA459, BA461
I don't understand why the 'Iberia operated (IB in-flight service)' flights have BA 3 digit flight numbers outbound, but 4 digit on the return! This, surely, is just going to add to the confusion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.