Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What's it like if I register as Gluten Free on BA? Plus Toddler eating in First.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's it like if I register as Gluten Free on BA? Plus Toddler eating in First.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question What's it like if I register as Gluten Free on BA? Plus Toddler eating in First.

Last year I saw a dietitian in London who helped me to realise that the reason I felt bloated and ill so often was that I was wheat-intolerant, so now I'm on an almost totally gluten free diet and I feel SO much better.

But I've never flown long-haul since I went gluten free... And I have a return in F to DEN coming up next month. So, if I register myself as Gluten Free in my BA profile, will I end up with a choice of nothing on board - and just be served the special meal they'll load for me?And will I still be able to chose something from the main First menu if I prefer it (and avoid the bit which may have wheat in it). What's the best strategy?

Or if I register for a gluten free option, does that open up selectable options in advance (which you can now do in F, can't you?)

I'm flying with me wife, baby and toddler (yes, won't we be popular - hehe). A first for us having a toddler on a long-haul flight (last time he was a baby), so do they load a special kids meal in F, or do we select for him from the main menu?

Would value some expert advice, from those in the know - on both Gluten Free dining and kids dining.

Thanks and best regards to everyone on the forum. Since being a Dad, I am rarely on FT these days. No time left after work / parenting!
Old Jul 12, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
No idea about the gluten free option, sorry.

How old is the toddler? If over 2, you can order the child meal, which should be something like chicken nuggets, mash and peas.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
See some previous discussion here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ifference.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ou-expect.html
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Flying Blue Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Whilst I've not travelled with a child in F, I have in CW, I was told the that if I didn't pre-order a child meal then they would get an option from the normal CW menu. If however I wanted a child meal, this needed to pre ordered and yes was something like chicken nuggets and mash with peas (although it certainly wasn't the best tasting chicken I've ever tried). We're flying in CW again shortly and my 3yo has a pretty decent pallet so think we'll skip the pre-ordered children menu next time and choose something from the menu.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
If you have already booked your tickets in First, contact YouFirst for assistance.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
I think generally speaking even if you selected your special meal in advance, you can still select something from the regular menu, if still available.
I always select the vegetarian special menu on MMB, but I'd be surprised if they'd deny me another entree from the regular menu, unless they run out of it.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
For the toddler - as mentioned above, you should order the Childs meal - there isn't a difference between classes on the child's meal - just the presentation.

Just flew with 4 kids in CW last week - meals were, chicken nugget type things with mash, sliced vegetables, a tuna salad and egg salad plate, a chocolate of some kind (was kit kat on one flight and jaffa cake on the second), ribena, roll and triangle of cheese.

I wouldn't recommend the F or CW meals for toddlers, but that's just my opinion.

Either way, I'm sure they'll let you pick something else from the menu in F if you don't like your meal. I've definitely done that with a vegetarian meal in F.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:13 am
Original Poster

Just to say thank you for all the info and links. My gluten free meal duly cancelled, and a kids meal for the little guy ordered.

Really appreciate the advice.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:06 am

I think it's bad form to eat a toddler, even in First.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Kgmm77
I think it's bad form to eat a toddler, even in First.
And so few of them are gluten-free these days.

But, seriously, whatever the cabin, if you are on a GF diet - select a GF meal. It avoids temptation and subsequent unhappiness; and it beats picking through the regular meal. A colleague always carries a tupperware of allowed goodies as supplements.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:13 am

I believe the GF meal will be the same one they would serve in CW, just with a different presentation. Not as good as the regular options on the F menu.

I sometimes order a VGML but rarely bother anymore, the dishes are quite uninspired. Thankfully now there is a vegetarian option on the A380 as well (sorry to those who miss the tasting menu ) That being said, on many occasions I have been accommodated with my choice of courses from the regular menu even with a special meal ordered. Thus, I would play it safe and order the GFML and then see onboard if you can order something from the main menu.

Of course, you can always email YouFirst in advance and ask them to send you the menus, so you can evaluate beforehand if a GFML is needed at all.

Last edited by Flythe96flag; Jul 16, 2016 at 9:19 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.