Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: cash ticket or Lloyd's upgrade vouchers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, TK Gold, HHonors Silver

Hi guys,

I need your help here:

I would like to fly with my GF to Dubai from LHR on the 29th of Sept till the 2nd of Oct.

I have 2x Lloyds's upgrade vouchers.

If I use both vouchers I could go in Club world using 104k avios+£924.

In alternative I could buy two Premium economy cash tickets for £902 (using 30k avios to get £300 off)

and then upgrade both legs for both passengers for 96k avios earning tier points and avios.

In short:

104k avios+£924 and two upgrade vouchers or

126k avios+£902 earning for myself 13600avios and 180TPs and 6800avios+180tps for my gf.

I know it seems a no brainer to get the cash ticket and upgrade. I do have a couple of doubts though...Firstly, what the hell am I gonna do with my upgrade vouchers. Secondly, how can I know if I will be allowed to upgrade and finally the first option would be a flexible ticket and the second a non-flexible one.

I suppose I could book, try to upgrade and if no upgrade is available cancel within 24h?

Any tip/suggestion is welcome. Also, any tip on how to use effectively my upgrade vouchers? I also have a 241 but with such low prices for premium cabins they now seem pretty useless.

Last edited by umbyboy; Jul 12, 2016 at 2:20 am
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by umbyboy
Hi guys,

I need your help here:

I would like to fly with my GF to Dubai from LHR on the 29th of Sept till the 2nd of Oct.

I have 2x Lloyds's upgrade vouchers.

If I use both vouchers I could go in Club world using 104k avios+£924.

In alternative I could buy two Premium economy cash tickets for £902 (using 30k avios to get £300 off)

and then upgrade both legs for both passengers for 96k avios earning tier points and avios.

In short:

104k avios+£924 and two upgrade vouchers or

126k avios+£902 earning for myself 13600avios and 180TPs and 6800avios+180tps for my misses.

I know it seems a no brainer to get the cash ticket and upgrade. I do have a couple of doubts though...Firstly, what the hell am I gonna do with my upgrade vouchers. Secondly, how can I know if I will be allowed to upgrade and finally the first option would be a flexible ticket and the second a non-flexible one.

I suppose I could book, try to upgrade and if no upgrade is available cancel within 24h?

Any tip/suggestion is welcome. Also, any tip on how to use effectively my upgrade vouchers? I also have a 241 but with such low prices for premium cabins they now seem pretty useless.
I'm not sure that you can get the discount using avios and upgrade, so that may make the decision for you.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum Elite / BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by trvllvr123
I'm not sure that you can get the discount using avios and upgrade, so that may make the decision for you.
IME, part-pay with avios books into 'normal' fare buckets (I'm flying in O tonight, which was part-pay, but luckily I got an op-up to W). So theoretically, it should be possible to upgrade these tickets with avios...
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by pianoamit
IME, part-pay with avios books into 'normal' fare buckets (I'm flying in O tonight, which was part-pay, but luckily I got an op-up to W). So theoretically, it should be possible to upgrade these tickets with avios...
Just read the guide and it is possible, just looks like it can't be done at the point of purchase and has to wait until ticketed (which was what I had tried to do.)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

I know it is possible as I have done it in the past. Booked a CW using part-pay and then upgraded to first using avios. I did it by calling them.

I am even thinking about buying a cash ticket for myself-upgrading with avios and then using the voucher for my GF. Can I book someone else using the upgrade voucher? Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2016, 4:18 pm

Step 1 - RFS to position to Berlin.

Step 2 - Fly Air Berlin to AUD - J return for 75k + £49 each.

(Optional) Step 3 - Spend cash saved on a nicer hotel room
Old Jul 11, 2016, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadowline

I did think about this option but since I have only 4-5days I didn't want to waste much time. Also, you know how women are...They just don't get it!

I also thought about using the upgrade voucher for the inbound and go outbound in economy but one way flights from Heathrow are more expensive than return ones.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shadowline

The best option seems to be positioning to Berlin, taking Air Berlin in J and coming back in J with BA using the upgrade voucher for 2 inbound. Is the latter possible?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:23 am

The best option seems to be positioning to Berlin, taking Air Berlin in J and coming back in J with BA using the upgrade voucher for 2 inbound. Is the latter possible?
Yes it is. Unlike the Amex 2-4-1 voucher, Lloyds voucher bookings don't have to originate in the UK - see Paros Fan's interesting booking strategy here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26067495-post25.html
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I'm confused...

Why would you use the Lloyds vouchers, 104k Avios and £924 cash, when you could use the 2-4-1, pay 100k Avios and £922 cash???
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Voucher

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Yes it is. Unlike the Amex 2-4-1 voucher, Lloyds voucher bookings don't have to originate in the UK - see Paros Fan's interesting booking strategy here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26067495-post25.html
The issue with doing this would always be the outbound. In this case I can do a one way with airberlin but if you need to leave say from LHR, it becomes complicated to do.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:55 am
Original Poster

So, for the benefit of those who might want to do the same, the last option would cost:

8K avios and £35 to position to Berlin + 75k avios and £79 for the flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi, plus 52k avios and £292 for the return leg on BA CW.

Therefore, 135k avios and £406 to fly LHR-TXL in economy TXL-ADB in Business and then back DXB-LHR in CW.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:04 am

8K avios and £35 to position to Berlin + 75k avios and £79 for the flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi, plus 52k avios and £292 for the return leg on BA CW.
That's the return amount - one way is only 4k (4.5k peak) plus £17.50.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
in economy TXL-ADB
Really not worth it for Izmir, but AUH it would be
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
I'm confused...

Why would you use the Lloyds vouchers, 104k Avios and £924 cash, when you could use the 2-4-1, pay 100k Avios and £922 cash???
Because this way I can retain the 2-4-1 for a first class redemption and get rid of the lloyds upgrade voucher.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.