Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Ba gatwick to Orlando which aircraft and seating

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Hi all,I am due to fly Dublin -gatwick -Orlando thur 15th Sep ,going out on flight 2039 and back on 2036,which aircraft do they use on this route and how old are the planes also booked seats 39 a/b at rear are these good seats or should I look at other seats,
How busy are these flights at that time of year and is customs clearance in Orlando very busy,sorry about all questions never been to Orlando or flown Ba and am a nervous flyer
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: Seigneur des Tarifs Utils First Class Mucci with Honours :) - BA GGL / CCR
Hi, welcome to the forum, From the last few times I have done this route it is the old 777s from Gatwick with the older IFE. Usally G-VIIx I found the exit rows quite good on these planes and the seats are a bit wider but the plane is showing its age a little.

That and G-VIIO now flys this route now that its not on fire in Vegas lol!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Welcome to FT, Baz69!

Yes it's pretty much always old-ish 777s in a 3-class formation. However sometimes a 4-class plane can be substituted or even planned on the route which can change seat assignments. If your chosen seats still remain, in the same class, on the other formation then your seat reservations would generally stick, but it's something to look out for.

They're perfectly good planes although it might be worth bringing a tablet along if you want a good selection of movies as the IFE isn't great.

Not sure about immigration but don't remember any particular issues at Orlando - and having been with kids a couple of times I am sure I would remember if there had been big queues!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: BAEC - Gold, VS - Silver, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Bonvoy Gold
Hi!

I'm flying MAN>LHR>LGW>MCO on in September too. It's a three class aircraft as has been pointed out above.

The seats in all classes are the older ones so expect a smaller (square) screen. As mentioned earlier, the exit rows are well worth it on these planes. Depending on the numbers of you flying, you might want to look at positioning further back in the cabin as it does tend to fill up last but that's far from an exact science.

In terms of how busy it is, somebody can probably give you an idea exactly but there are two flights a day. When I booked, the later flight was really quiet and still appears to be. That's on the 30th of August. The early flight tends to get busier I believe due to the more favourable arrival time.

Enjoy!
Old Jul 7, 2016, 7:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk Baz69, welcome to the BA forum, and it's good to see you here. I do hope you will find this a useful place and that we will see plenty more of you.

The BA 777 aircraft at LGW are actually among BA's more recent 777s, not that it makes much difference from a safety point of view. Indeed there is a valid argument, if you are a nervous flyer, to look at older aircraft rather than newer ones, but in any event the most dangerous thing you are going to be doing is getting into a car at Orlando (or indeed Dublin), both activities are far more dangerous than flying. LGW's aircraft are around 17 years old, which is a few years more recent than some of LHR's fleet, and certainly not old by aircraft standards, AA has some MD-80s zooming around.

What you may want to consider is going for World Traveller Plus. You currently have one of the very few pair seats on the 777 in WT, but there's quite a big jump in space and quality of the produce in WTP. So if you get offered a good price upgrade then you should seriously consider it.

Orlando isn't brilliant for passport or customs clearance, Tampa is better, but still, you'll be out of the airport less than an hour after arrival.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all replies ,in terms of upgrade to Wtp how should I go about it ,am due to pay balance of fare today should I ring and ask about Wtp and what would be a fair price to upgrade,I have only flown with are lingus before and they are Airbus a330 I think,wow 17 years old I didn't realise they were used for so long ,
Old Jul 7, 2016, 8:43 am

Modern aircraft are designed to be in service for a good 30 years, so the 777's BA have are not that old, relatively speaking.

They are thoroughly maintained and many of the parts are replaced with new parts after a certain period of time or wear. The engines are not the originals for example, they will have been replaced with new ones over time.

You probably won't be offered a promotional upgrade (POUG) online as you are starting in Dublin, however you can upgrade at the airport (AUP) or upgrade using Avios (UUA) if you have any and there is availability. A good price will probably be in the region of £150-£200 per person for a one way upgrade.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:41 pm

Gatwick to orlando

Hello everyone
I am flying Gatwick to orlando British Airways on the 2nd June 2018.
Does anyone know if the first flight from Gatwick to Orlando is the 777>200 or the 777>300, also is it the new 3,4,3 format where they put the extra seat in. I have flown Gatwick to larnaca recently and wasn't really impressed. .....
Old May 23, 2018, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
welcome to FT

You should check the seat map in manage bookings and compare to those on either the BA website or the BA Source (not sites like seat guru) to check which plane you are on.
Old May 23, 2018, 2:02 pm

Programs: baec, HHonours
Hi Martintroy80
It will be a 777-200 as there are no 300's at Gatwick

ss
Old May 23, 2018, 3:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Martintroy80
Hello everyone
Welcome to Flyertalk Martintroy80 and welcome to the BA forum. I hope we will see plenty more of you here, and that you have a good time in Florida.

BA2037 on 2 June is the new 10 across seating in WT, with the new IFE.
BA2039 on the same day is the older 9 across seating with the poor IFE.

Subject to equipment change, which has long been an issue on LGW services.
Colnic2011 likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, RCI Diamond
Having just returned from MCO with Mrs and littke dombo17uk i can give you a couole of tips when arriving in MCO;

Although landing cards are provided, when you arrive, as a family you have to go to an electronic station to enter in the customs decleration. We were flying J and were first off the plane, so I can't tell you what the queues were like after we left. There are a significant number of terminals though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Likewise with immigration, this was very quick for us and there seemed to be plenty of officers on duty. They made a real fuss of my daughter which was lovely.

You will have to collect your baggage in the satalite arrivals terminal before boarding a monorail to the main terminal building. Airport staff will offer to send your bags ahead of you so you don't have to lug them on the very short escalator to the monorail. You will then have to collect them from a carousel.

I highly recommend you keep your bags with you if you can; the escalator to the monorail is very short, the monorail journey is very short and the walk from the monorail to the Magical Express or car rental desks is very short. You could send your bags ahead and arrive at the carousel within a few minutes but wait an hour for your bags to arrive.

As others have said, if you can move into WTP, your flying experience will be enhanced, but it's worth remembering LGW to MCO is a relatively short flight (even shorter on the downhill leg!), so you will be fine regardless.

Safe travels and enjoy the magic Florida has to offer.
Old May 24, 2018, 1:21 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club
Wonder if anyone could tell me what 777 Layout is currently scheduled for the BA 2037 on 29th May? Seat map confusingly is currently showing 32J and 32W
Old May 24, 2018, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by dombo17uk
Having just returned from MCO with Mrs and littke dombo17uk i can give you a couole of tips when arriving in MCO;

Although landing cards are provided, when you arrive, as a family you have to go to an electronic station to enter in the customs decleration. We were flying J and were first off the plane, so I can't tell you what the queues were like after we left. There are a significant number of terminals though, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Likewise with immigration, this was very quick for us and there seemed to be plenty of officers on duty. They made a real fuss of my daughter which was lovely.

You will have to collect your baggage in the satalite arrivals terminal before boarding a monorail to the main terminal building. Airport staff will offer to send your bags ahead of you so you don't have to lug them on the very short escalator to the monorail. You will then have to collect them from a carousel.

I highly recommend you keep your bags with you if you can; the escalator to the monorail is very short, the monorail journey is very short and the walk from the monorail to the Magical Express or car rental desks is very short. You could send your bags ahead and arrive at the carousel within a few minutes but wait an hour for your bags to arrive.

As others have said, if you can move into WTP, your flying experience will be enhanced, but it's worth remembering LGW to MCO is a relatively short flight (even shorter on the downhill leg!), so you will be fine regardless.

Safe travels and enjoy the magic Florida has to offer.
Thank you very much some great info there.
Thanks again
​​​​​​
Old May 24, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by Gordo19
Wonder if anyone could tell me what 777 Layout is currently scheduled for the BA 2037 on 29th May? Seat map confusingly is currently showing 32J and 32W
Hello Gordo19 and welcome to Flyertalk.

This is an odd one which is why I've bumped it and I don't know the answer to your question. According to the seat map available from ExpertFlyer that aircraft is one of the new densified 3-4-3 Y configurations but I'm not aware of any 32J / 32W seating plans. Hopefully someone will be along to clarify shortly...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.