Wiki Posts
Search

The great crisp debate

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
The great crisp debate

This has been worrying me for some time, and the inclement weather at Heathrow has given me some time to reflect whilst I sit in the MAN lounge. So this is very serious question which needs to be answered. Why do the BA lounges only carry plain and cheddar crisps? Mature Cheddar is the bastion of classic English crisps and there is no finer crisp. Cheddar and <Insert other participant> is usually a match made in heaven and elevates the humble cheddar crisp to a sublime level, therefore this is a Ronaldo (not as poncy and preening) or Dan Carter of the crisp range and should always be picked to represent. However, the plain salted... this is the question, surely this is like picking a 2nd stringer. Like the Mike Catt/Lomu match up in the 95 Rugby World Cup. Its a solid crisp, dont get me wrong, however its a little unbalanced and leaves one wanting just a little more. Surely you want to put in your play maker and match winner to pair with the mighty Cheddar to create a formidable crisp force? Possibly a Brian O'Driscoll of the crisp range if you will? To me that would be the humble Salt and Vinegar crisp. A simple and classically English crisp that packs a massive punch and is adored by all?

Am I overthinking this or has BA seriously underestimated the importance of this humble snack? Thoughts welcome, hopefully they are better than my view on crisps or rugby player analogies.

No crisps were hurt or abused in the creation of this post.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Well, that would upset an awful number of Jewish travellers (and there are a good number of them going through Heathrow on a regular basis, like myself) since the plain crisps are certified as kosher and the others are not ...
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:48 pm

Programs: British airways executive club, Bronze
^
Originally Posted by oktane
This has been worrying me for some time, and the inclement weather at Heathrow has given me some time to reflect whilst I sit in the MAN lounge. So this is very serious question which needs to be answered. Why do the BA lounges only carry plain and cheddar crisps? Mature Cheddar is the bastion of classic English crisps and there is no finer crisp. Cheddar and <Insert other participant> is usually a match made in heaven and elevates the humble cheddar crisp to a sublime level, therefore this is a Ronaldo (not as poncy and preening) or Dan Carter of the crisp range and should always be picked to represent. However, the plain salted... this is the question, surely this is like picking a 2nd stringer. Like the Mike Catt/Lomu match up in the 95 Rugby World Cup. Its a solid crisp, dont get me wrong, however its a little unbalanced and leaves one wanting just a little more. Surely you want to put in your play maker and match winner to pair with the mighty Cheddar to create a formidable crisp force? Possibly a Brian O'Driscoll of the crisp range if you will? To me that would be the humble Salt and Vinegar crisp. A simple and classically English crisp that packs a massive punch and is adored by all?

Am I overthinking this or has BA seriously underestimated the importance of this humble snack? Thoughts welcome, hopefully they are better than my view on crisps or rugby player analogies.

No crisps were hurt or abused in the creation of this post.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:53 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Mucci
Didn't lounge crisp selection drop to 1 flavor in the not too distant past, increasing to 2 after howls of protest?

I used to like the ones in the red packet, whatever they were.

I would love to see more than 2 flavors available. Keep the salted, add salt & vinegar, and a few more.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
the humble Salt and Vinegar crisp. A simple and classically English crisp that packs a massive punch and is adored by all?
+1 love a salt and vinegar, even if a lesser brand!
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think sweet chilli was available before ? Agree on the salt & vinegar front
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:07 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by HilFly
Didn't lounge crisp selection drop to 1 flavor in the not too distant past, increasing to 2 after howls of protest? ...
Yes, that's when BA's marketing was at its best and we were assured we were being offered more choice and food more appropriate to the time of day ... by the enhancement of 4/5 flavour choices to a greater choice of one. Clearly BA's dictionary of English is very different to the ones used by the rest of the world.

This change to the lounge offering made no sense, there being no apparent cost saving.

I think the timing is close to the cheese being replaced with the chilli.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Ready Salted or Salt & Vinegar I think should be the mainstays.

Any offerance of a flavour called 'Prawn Cocktail' should result in a heavy beating in my opinion.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
IMO whoever ordered them was a hesi-tater, and when crunch time came didn't have the order ready. Or maybe they were just Lays-Z.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Seems I have ridged a few posters. So as not to crinkle everyone, I am pro crisp and apologies to our Jewish brethren. Truly shocked to find that even black pepper kettle crisps are not kosher... I did discover Bacon and Maple syrup that I suspect is not Kosher either http://www.kettlefoods.co.uk/our-han...ps/small-bags/
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Spire, Radisson Gold
Personally I'd rather just a selection of Walkers. I rarely find the 'fancier' crisps that great.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: EL AL Matmid, BA Executive Club GfL, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club
Truly shocked to find that even black pepper kettle crisps are not kosher...
Black pepper Kettle Chips are kosher
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR
Salt & Vinegar gets my vote - in addition to the existing flavours, not instead of.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
ready salted (or plain as we always called them ) cheese and onion (of some sort) and salt and vinegar should be a permanent fixture EVERYWHERE as they will always be eaten

I would then suggest rotating other flavours just for a bit of variety
Old Jun 23, 2016, 2:14 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
The holy trinity of British crisps

Salt and vinegar
Cheese and Onion
Ready salted

Special mention

Roast Beef Monster Munch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.