Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2019, 2:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Same Day Change (SDC) is known as Free Change on the Day (FCOD) within BA. It is available on Plus and CE revenue tickets, single and return, so long as they are not complicated. It is not available on Avios tickets, redemption tickets issued to other frequent flyer schemes, to open jaw tickets, on carriage (tickets with connections) or any other sort of complexity. Also previously changing a ticket with SDC (FCOD) may make it ineligible for SDC, for example if it now becomes open jaw.

You can change the ticket online, via the Contact Centre or at the airport, but see the thread for details and experiences. You can change only after local midnight - up to one hour before departure - for the leg concerned, and only on to another flight on the same route, you can't switch arrival or departure airport at all. If you want to switch a LHR-NCE to LGW-NCE you would have to pay the fare difference and change fee, though in that example it wouldn't necessarily be a huge cost. If there is bad weather or operational problems BA may allow SDC/FCOD anyway, and that does allow a change to airports.
Print Wikipost

FAQ: Same Day Changes (SDC) and Free Change on the Day (FCOD) on BA tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2017, 12:59 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ifu05596
do these flights need to be booked with BA directly or it work if booked via Amex Travel, Expedia etc?
Corporate travel, including Amex and Expedia Business (Egencia) certainly works, though for complex reasons connected with "know your passenger", you need to make changes via BAEC and BA.com rather than the App, otherwise you'll get stuck on "please confirm the credit card number" question.

On Amex public, I have no direct experience, but I would be fairly confident that also works. Expedia I have my doubts in terms of online management, but if it was correctly sold as a Plus fare (or the limited number of CE tickets with this option) then at worst it could be changed at the airport. If pushing out to a later service than booked then you best telephone a BA contact centre at least an hour before the original departure.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Corporate travel, including Amex and Expedia Business (Egencia) certainly works, though for complex reasons connected with "know your passenger", you need to make changes via BAEC and BA.com rather than the App, otherwise you'll get stuck on "please confirm the credit card number" question.

On Amex public, I have no direct experience, but I would be fairly confident that also works. Expedia I have my doubts in terms of online management, but if it was correctly sold as a Plus fare (or the limited number of CE tickets with this option) then at worst it could be changed at the airport. If pushing out to a later service than booked then you best telephone a BA contact centre at least an hour before the original departure.
Thanks I'll give it a try - ditched my BA Platinum Amex for Amex Gold where you get 3 points for booking with Amex Travel but I definately do make use free change on day on UK Domestic ET Plus and CE fares. Can also earn 2 by booking direct but would rather 3!
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, MM Senator, FB Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold
I think it is probably very obvious but I only realised it last week... BA treats LCY/LHR/LGW as different airports (obviously they are different)! I was booked into 7:10PM ZRH-LCY and I was not allowed to change it to 3:45PM ZRH-LHR on the same day.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by littletiger
I think it is probably very obvious but I only realised it last week... BA treats LCY/LHR/LGW as different airports (obviously they are different)! I was booked into 7:10PM ZRH-LCY and I was not allowed to change it to 3:45PM ZRH-LHR on the same day.
Indeed it is the case and the only reason that rebooking would be allowed to other airports is a material delay (which seems to be more than 2 hours) or mass irrops, in which case someone may press a special button and all airports are enabled.

See posts 5, 8, 9 and 11 above for the earlier discussion on this.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Can someone explain how to know if you are on a flex fare. I was pretty sure I did book one but it was so many month ago, and my email receipt doesn't say anything about a flex fare, nor MMB. However in MMB it does say:

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of £60 or an upgrade fee of £60 plus any difference in fare. Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket.

Does that mean I'm on a flex fare I can change on the day. Or is that just standard copy for all bookings in MMB?
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by jday
Does that mean I'm on a flex fare I can change on the day. Or is that just standard copy for all bookings in MMB?
That's the wording for Plus fares with same day change for free; so unless there is some corporate fare oddity (where the statements can get a bit mixed up) then you should be OK. Essentially if you bought a simple single or return within Europe, no connections, not Avios and with a baggage allowance and in EuroTraveller, then you're on a Plus. CE is increasingly offering the same benefit, though not yet to all destinations. If it was eye wateringly expensive it would be PlusFlex, which also has same day change but is also fully refundable. It's just HBO / Basic and more complex tickets which won't have SDC.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 1:29 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
That's the wording for Plus fares with same day change for free; so unless there is some corporate fare oddity (where the statements can get a bit mixed up) then you should be OK. Essentially if you bought a simple single or return within Europe, no connections, not Avios and with a baggage allowance and in EuroTraveller, then you're on a Plus. CE is increasingly offering the same benefit, though not yet to all destinations. If it was eye wateringly expensive it would be PlusFlex, which also has same day change but is also fully refundable. It's just HBO / Basic and more complex tickets which won't have SDC.
ah okay. That makes sense. No it wasn't that eye wateringly expensive so must be a normal plus fare thanks
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
CE is increasingly offering the same benefit, though not yet to all destinations.
Can you share any further details? Will this apply to all desitinations and all CE fares as there is no HBO-equivalent?

If that is the direction of travel, BA will genuinely have stealed a march on competitors who do not offer short haul business class or have few discounted fares and flexibility at high prices.

BA will have a product mix with a genuinely good top end product at a reasonable price. Much as Mr Cruz set out to achieve.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:45 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FrancisA
Can you share any further details? Will this apply to all desitinations and all CE fares as there is no HBO-equivalent?

If that is the direction of travel, BA will genuinely have stealed a march on competitors who do not offer short haul business class or have few discounted fares and flexibility at high prices.

BA will have a product mix with a genuinely good top end product at a reasonable price. Much as Mr Cruz set out to achieve.
Apparently already on LGW routes, and has been spotted on some LHR routes - possibly all domestic routes already?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...e-now-too.html

EDIT: oops, spotted you already commented on that thread so I am not telling you anything new!
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:55 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Checked a future LBA-LHR-LBA CE booking and the wording is on there. Also on a MAN-IBZ rtn booking - not that there is another flight to change to. Not on a LHR-LUX rtn booking though.

Change booking

Time/date changes permitted at any time before each flight departure for a change fee of £100 or an upgrade fee of £100 plus any difference in fare. Free changes on the day of departure provided changes are for same date/cabin/route/airport. Changes subject to availability. Fees apply per ticket.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 11, 2017 at 3:00 pm Reason: typo, meant wording typed working
Old Aug 11, 2017, 2:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by KARFA
Checked a future LBA-LHR-LBA CE booking and the working is on there. Also on a MAN-IBZ rtn booking - not that there is another flight to change to. Not on a LHR-LUX rtn booking though.
Good if this is all CE. Offering it on plus fares only wasn't brilliant. Perhaps time to sort out Saturday night stay on CE too?

On old arrangement I have done LGW-AMS day trips in CE. Then BA went for more R fares and made I fares ex-UK require a Saturday night stay.
Old Aug 11, 2017, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by FrancisA
Good if this is all CE. Offering it on plus fares only wasn't brilliant. Perhaps time to sort out Saturday night stay on CE too?

On old arrangement I have done LGW-AMS day trips in CE. Then BA went for more R fares and made I fares ex-UK require a Saturday night stay.
From what I know at the moment SDC in CE is definitely offered on:
- all domestic flights for LHR, LCY and LGW
- most (if not all) CE from LGW, though with the exception of AMS and summer Spanish routes the benefit here isn't so great since there may only be one or two flights a day.
- for some LHR destinations

The Saturday night rule does not apply on Domestic routes (a huge thing in itself).

Now one of my lovely contacts has suggested it will be spread to all CE destainations, I've got a question out with the CWS Support Desk and I'll pass it on here once I hear back from them.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Head for Points reporting that CE o/w fares significantly reduced in price.

http://www.headforpoints.com/2017/08/15/british-airways-club-europe-one-way-tickets-and-no-saturday-night-tickets-now-at-sensible-prices/
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:46 am

Programs: BA Blue, IC Spire Ambassador
Free Changes on Day of Flight

Just want to check my understanding of this on a CE fare with the free changes on day of departure wording.

1. Is the rule that there has to simply be space available in the cabin (as opposed to fare bucket) booked? So say I'm flying LGW-EDI in I class (£112), if on the day of travel there is space on an earlier EDI service, can I change, even if I class isn't available (currently there is J class only on earlier services - £370)? No change fee but presumably there is a service fee payable for phone / ticket desk changes? Does it involve a ticket reissue? If so, is there also a reissue fee? No change fee and no fare difference?

2. Is this interchangeable across London airports? IE if I have an ex-Gatwick ticket with free changes, can I swap onto a Heathrow service for free on a space available basis...? (I can see pigs flying right now but you never know...)

3. Can I make this change on ba.com or do I have to phone up? I appreciate if i have OLCId I would need to be offloaded manually first.

4.Does BA offer waitlisting? So say if it is J0 (rather than JC) but I'm at the airport, can I be waitlisted and get on if I clear? Status would help here.

5. Is day of travel from midnight local time?

6. Any other restrictions I need to know about?

Thanks
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:59 am

1) No service fee, there just needs to be one seat in the same cabin, even if it is Y (or J if in CE), and there's no fare difference involved. The ticket is revalidated but usually that takes a minute or two to do. You best do it via BA.com or the App, see below, but it can be done on the telephone or at the airport, just ensure you have a clear hour before both your new flight and your previous flight.

2) No, it's not interchangeable with other airports unless there are irrops and they lift that particular restriction. You can still pay for that, with the change fee and fare difference. If going from LHR to LGW then it may well be just the change fee.

3) If a corporate ticket, you best do it on BA.com and sign fully into BAEC. If a personal ticket, the App will be fine. The reason being that if you use the App, you are actually in a slightly different place than a full BA.com login, and on the "know your customer" principle, and the fact that a corporate ticket may not have been paid with a credit card, the App may request a credit card number to proceed.

4) No waitlisting is possible for this.

5) Yes, midnight for the departure airport. You sometimes have to wait a few minutes for BA's IT clock to catch up with the real time if they forgot to change the batteries recently. When you get a big "Consent" screen come up you know you're OK.

6) The main thread is here, with a lot more information:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...change-ba.html

I'll ask the Mods to consider moving this thread over, you ask some specific questions not in that thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.