Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Check through bags AA BNA-JFK to BA JFK-LHR & 11 Hours at JFK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M

Hi folks

Seems like a while since I've been around here, annual excursion in F coming up.

I have a separate ticket one-way booking on AA from BNA-JFK arriving JFK at 09:32 on 2nd July. Then connect in F onto the BA172 at 20:40.

1. Will AA will check our bags all the way through for us?
I remember reading something a while bag about AA and separate tickets but assume that's not the case for Oneworld partners.

2. Anyone any pointers for things to do?

Never done the Concorde room in JFK so want to be back at the airport about 4pm to get a few hours in.

I was thinking about getting the Airtrain/Subway into Times Square, have some lunch and wander round then back to the airport mid afternoon.

It's been close to 20 years since I've had a wander round NYC.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by pmcg
Hi folks

Seems like a while since I've been around here, annual excursion in F coming up.

I have a separate ticket one-way booking on AA from BNA-JFK arriving JFK at 09:32 on 2nd July. Then connect in F onto the BA172 at 20:40.

1. Will AA will check our bags all the way through for us?
I remember reading something a while bag about AA and separate tickets but assume that's not the case for Oneworld partners.

Never done the Concorde room in JFK so want to be back at the airport about 4pm to get a few hours in.

I was thinking about getting the Airtrain/Subway into Times Square, have some lunch and wander round then back to the airport mid afternoon.

It's been close to 20 years since I've had a wander round NYC.
On the bags - depends on the agent on the day but officially not any more.

http://www.britishairways.com/assets...h-check-in.pdf
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by pmcg
There are several 'what to do in NYC in X hours' which include the best way to get down town from JFK here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/
Old Jun 12, 2016, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by simons1

Hi,

Whist the above link is for BA, as the OP is checking in with AA, per this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...equired-3.html

AA will still allow through checking ( they would not through check if a layover was 12 hours or more but the OP's layover is only 11 hrs

This change of policy by BA and other OW carriers is confusing.

Regards

TBS
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:19 am

We will see I guess. I haven't seen any comment from AA either way. However I would be exercising caution if booking separate tickets whether on AA or BA.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA should check your bag across tickets because the JFK transfer is <12 hours. But, if the BNA agent will not and you cannot get a supervisor to budge, take the bag with you and drop it at any hotel while you wander. Bellmen (people?) are thrilled to do this for a decent tip.

To smooth things at BNA, it will be helpful for you to have a printout of your BA e-ticket receipt (not PNR confirmation, but e-ticket) to hand to the agent. This makes it all the quicker and takes fewer steps and thus less knowledge and thus less opportunity to tell you that it cannot be done.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:34 am

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Check in agents at BNA are usually pretty helpful and accommodating. This is my home airport.
Hope you enjoy Nashville!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion - BA Silver - IHG Diamond Elite - HHonors Diamond - M&M

Thanks.

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
There are several 'what to do in NYC in X hours' which include the best way to get down town from JFK here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/new-york-city-465/
Thanks, hadn't even considered venturing beyond the Airline & Hotel forums.

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Whist the above link is for BA, as the OP is checking in with AA, per this thread

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...equired-3.html

AA will still allow through checking ( they would not through check if a layover was 12 hours or more but the OP's layover is only 11 hrs

This change of policy by BA and other OW carriers is confusing.
Certainly is confusing, the policy for BA-BA tickets is baffling and going to cause many "heated discussions" at the check in desks.

We will see I guess. I haven't seen any comment from AA either way. However I would be exercising caution if booking separate tickets whether on AA or BA.
I'll update on the outcome after the event.

Originally Posted by Often1
AA should check your bag across tickets because the JFK transfer is <12 hours. But, if the BNA agent will not and you cannot get a supervisor to budge, take the bag with you and drop it at any hotel while you wander. Bellmen (people?) are thrilled to do this for a decent tip.
From memory I think the JFK check in desks now open in the morning for the evening flights.
If that's the case by the time I arrive at 09:32 and get by bags I hopefully can check them in for the LHR flight.

Originally Posted by Often1
To smooth things at BNA, it will be helpful for you to have a printout of your BA e-ticket receipt (not PNR confirmation, but e-ticket) to hand to the agent. This makes it all the quicker and takes fewer steps and thus less knowledge and thus less opportunity to tell you that it cannot be done.
I've got OCD about travel documents, already all printed out and filed in the "necessary" order and folders.

Originally Posted by sweetsleep
Check in agents at BNA are usually pretty helpful and accommodating. This is my home airport.
Hope you enjoy Nashville!
Thanks, not been before so looking forward to exploring a new city.
Arriving from Memphis on the Greyhound.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 10:13 am
Original Poster

All worked out in the end, the lovely lady at BNA spent a good 15~20 minutes typing away on the keyboard and with a little help from her colleague then issued me with bag tags all the way back home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.