Wiki Posts
Search

UK & Ire Security Photo - goes wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold
UK & Ire Security Photo - goes wrong?

Last night's BA838 LHR-DUB flight boarded on time - at 18:15hrs - for a scheduled 18:45hrs departure.

However, as departure time approached, dispatch informed the crew that two passengers would have to be offloaded as they had failed the security camera biometric conformance at the gate.

The resulting baggage off-loading led to a 45min delay in departure time. Is this a common event - and do gate staff have any leeway with regards to the computer system? If I were off-loaded from a flight just because of a computer glitch (and where Gate Staff could clearly see from the on-screen photo that it was me presenting at the gate) I'd be rightly miffed off. "Computer says no...?"
Old Jun 7, 2016, 4:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It does occasionally happen, sometimes the photo gets detached or is too out of focus for either the biometric or manual identification to work. If the passenger does not have an EU passport on them then a Border Force officer may need to be summoned, at which point the passenger may well be offloaded. Not a good situation, but it happens on much less than 1 percent of flights.

The first thing they try is to get someone from HAL security over to recover the photo, they are usually quite quick to arrive, but a TRM may try to cut losses and offload people quickly. Doesn't always work!

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Jun 7, 2016 at 4:07 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC, FlyingBlue, IHG Gold Amb, Kimpton whatever
being offloaded from the flight for this wouldn't make me happy at all.

Last time I went to the US, I was told that my fingerprints didn't match the fingerprints that were scanned last time I went through (about 2 weeks previously). That was a slightly unpleasant moment (taken back into the "naughty room", waited slightly nervously, I have to admit, for about 20 minutes) - no response available to me as to what had happened, of course.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: BA Gold; Swiss Blue
Could this be taken to be involuntary denied boarding...

You have presented yourself correctly with all your paperwork, and your are not allowed to fly through no fault of your own.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
It is not BA that is denying boarding.

It is Border Force that is denying you from flying. Its Heathrow cock up since they run the security process but Heathrow are accountable to no one.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY

You have presented yourself correctly with all your paperwork, and your are not allowed to fly through no fault of your own.
Article 2(i) (Definitions)

‘denied boarding’ means a refusal to carry passengers on a flight, although they have presented themselves for boarding under the conditions laid down in Article 3(2), except where there are reasonable grounds to deny them boarding, such as reasons of health, safety or security, or inadequate travel documentation
I'd imagine BA would go down the security route to deny a claim.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: BAEC GFL, GGL, Hilton Diamond, EuroBonus Gold for Life, SPG Plat Elite
Originally Posted by SWISSBOBBY

Post number 4 and we are into compensation. Is this an FT record.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:01 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
At no point was it suggested in the OP that the passengers were denied by a computer error.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It does occasionally happen, sometimes the photo gets detached or is too out of focus for either the biometric or manual identification to work. If the passenger does not have an EU passport on them then a Border Force officer may need to be summoned, at which point the passenger may well be offloaded. Not a good situation, but it happens on much less than 1 percent of flights.

The first thing they try is to get someone from HAL security over to recover the photo, they are usually quite quick to arrive, but a TRM may try to cut losses and offload people quickly. Doesn't always work!
Ah, good to hear that it can be manually over-ridden.

As we were all boarded whilst the 2-passengers in question were being dealt with (and unable to witness first hand the actual event) I had thought that, possibly, the computer had denied access, and that was that. However, if I missed my flight due to a TRM jumping the gun whilst I stood at the gate with my passport/valid photo ID I wouldn't be best pleased.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paul4040
At no point was it suggested in the OP that the passengers were denied by a computer error.
Indeed - most of what I know comes from the conversation had between the TRM and the cabin-crew in the galley area. There was talk of the computer not recognising the passenger, but this may have been for a reason of a less than honest nature!
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: BAEC Blue (back to Earth)
Don't you need a passport to fly LHR-DUB anyway? BA insisted on one last time I flew out of T1.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by skipness1E
Don't you need a passport to fly LHR-DUB anyway? BA insisted on one last time I flew out of T1.
No, you simply need appropriate photo ID. This applies only if you are a UK or Irish citizen. Non-UK or Irish nationals need to show their passport.

If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
It is not BA that is denying boarding.

It is Border Force that is denying you from flying. Its Heathrow cock up since they run the security process but Heathrow are accountable to no one.
BA is liable for the actions and cock-ups it's service provider (in this case Heathrow Airport) is producing.
If the passengers had the right to enter (or remain if LHR was the starting point) in the UK from an immigration point of view, BA would owe them denied boarding compensation.

BA may try to get the money back from Heathrow Airport, but that's not the problem of the passengers affected.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
BA is liable for the actions and cock-ups it's service provider (in this case Heathrow Airport) is producing.
If the passengers had the right to enter (or remain if LHR was the starting point) in the UK from an immigration point of view, BA would owe them denied boarding compensation.

BA may try to get the money back from Heathrow Airport, but that's not the problem of the passengers affected.
That is true, but perhaps not in all cases.

People can genuinely fail conformance with the photo check - for example, they might be different people to the ones who passed security, or any other myriad of reasons.

Or, there's the possibility of a computer glitch.

This is not so much to do with the right to enter or remain (there is free movement domestically and to ROI) but with checking that the people who passed security are the people who are boarding the aircraft. Remember, no need for a passport for UK or ROI citizens.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by paul4040
If you are a citizen of the UK or Republic of Ireland who was born in that country you do not need a passport to travel between the two countries but you do require some form of photographic identification, such as a driving licence.
Just to add emphasis to this - you need to be born in either the UK or Ireland to travel on a driving licence (which does actually show this). Otherwise, even if you are a naturalised UK or Irish citizen, you need to present a passport.

The joys of the CTA!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.