Search

Lounge Access BCN for young adult

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2016, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Lounge Access BCN for young adult

Morning.
My daughter is returning from BCN to LHR in the summer travelling later than her group. I wanted to find a way to possibly get her lounge access and I'm struggling to find the answers I need.

It seems you can pay £25 to book lounge entry which will be considerably cheaper than changing her ticket for a later flight and using Avios to upgrade to CE. (Although this is not out of court at 40€ and 7500 Avios (which I value more than the cash of course) but hanging around for another two hours just to use a lounge seems counter intuitive.

So my questions

Can an almost 18 year old use a lounge without being accompanied by an 'adult' if it's paid for

Can same person use a 'BA' (partner lounge) if travelling on a CE ticket

If paid for, the lounge limits access for 3 hours - do they monitor this carefully and turf you out? If accessed via BA CE ticket does the same time limit apply?

What is Schengen / non-Schengen all about or more simply, if travelling from BCN to Heathrow, which lounge would you book? (Am assuming only the Miro lounge )

Sorry for so many questions but I'm struggling to get clarity from my searches.

CF
Old May 28, 2016, 2:04 am

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Does she need a Lounge?
Old May 28, 2016, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLHD
Does she need a Lounge?
Not really but it would be nice and I'm a nice mum. She'd love to have a shower. And since she'll be on her own and probably very tired I wanted to treat her if I can and because I'm very slightly obsessed with gaining the best travel experience possible it extends to my nearest and dearest.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
because I'm very slightly obsessed with gaining the best travel experience possible it extends to my nearest and dearest.
There lies the issue, you are trying to make plans based on Assumptions... Ask her if she would like Lounge Access. If Barcelona is where the group are staying she might want to stay in Town and explore a little longer, whos to say she wants to sit in a stuffy Lounge when in one of the nicest cities in Europe?!
Old May 28, 2016, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
If paid for, the lounge limits access for 3 hours - do they monitor this carefully and turf you out? If accessed via BA CE ticket does the same time limit apply?

Not that I've noticed. I'm sure I've spent around 4 hours in the Schengen lounge before, but I guess it really depends on the staff member on the day.

What is Schengen / non-Schengen all about or more simply, if travelling from BCN to Heathrow, which lounge would you book? (Am assuming only the Miro lounge )

BA use the Non-Schengen lounge.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:25 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I'm very familiar with the Joan Miró lounge at BCN. As is often the case in the Spain, the lounge is owned by the state run airport authority, it offers lounge access to BA Club Europe and status passengers, but it also takes paid admission on the door too.

BCN is a very cunnily designed airport, I'm seriously impressed by how they do it there. Non Schengen is on a different floor level to Schengen, and so for the BCN-LHR service she needs a Non Schengen lounge, she can't get to the Schengen lounges.

They don't monitor the 3 hour rule, but if they are busy and someone turns up 5 hours before departure, you can expect raised eyebrows.

And yes, you do use "partner" or "third party" lounges in Club Europe where there isn't a BA lounge, as I think you have done elsewhere in Spain. More details in the Lounge Access guide in the Dashboard.

The bit I don't know is if they will be OK with a 17 year old using the lounge alone. This being Spain/Catalunya/Cataluña I suspect they will but I don't know for certain. If she tried to pay on the door they may refuse her, but I think it's unlikely if she is on her own and comes across as sensible. I also suspect that if she is travelling Club Europe she would be even more likely to allowed in, since all the staff do is scan the boarding pass.
Old May 28, 2016, 2:36 am

What a lovely mum you are .

I agree with cws that she's unlikely to have issues accessing on a CE ticket, as they'll just scan her boarding pass and let her in. If paying at the desk, however, they might react differently. Their issue will be the freely-available alcohol in the lounge (as you probably know).

I've used the lounge a few times and although it's nice enough, it's not one of the better lounges in my experience. Last couple of times I've used it it was overrun and the staff weren't keeping up in keeping it clean and tidy. I ended up leaving early and sat in the main departure area, which is rather nice.

But, arranging this for your daughter is a very nice gesture so good for you if you can do it ^.
Old May 28, 2016, 3:50 am

Programs: BAEC
One thing to note about this lounge is that there is free use of the shower BUT you have to pay for using their towels/shampoo etc.

I would also second what BHLD said. Whilst for most adults a lounge is wonderful, it may not be what she wants. I flew with my teenage cousins for the first time last year, and got two of them into the lounge. They went crazy for about 5 minutes ("is this all free?!") before declaring that they wanted to go and find a McDonalds for some "proper food". I also don't think many 17 year olds would enjoy spending 3 hours an airport on their own, lounge or not? My recollection of the lounge was that there was hardly anything edible anyway, so only good to have something to drink (and a shower).

That said, 10/10 for effort! I wish my parents had tried to give me the "best travel experience"! No Club flights for me when I was that age!
Old May 28, 2016, 5:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BLHD
There lies the issue, you are trying to make plans based on Assumptions... Ask her if she would like Lounge Access. If Barcelona is where the group are staying she might want to stay in Town and explore a little longer, whos to say she wants to sit in a stuffy Lounge when in one of the nicest cities in Europe?!
I have and she would. It is at the end of their stay.

All her friends will have already left on earlier planes. she will be on her own, tired and dirty and would relish an opportunity to freshen up.

:-)
Old May 28, 2016, 5:16 am

Not THAT much experience with lounges in BCN, but I've found all of those I've accessed (with OW, ST and *A airlines) within Schengen to be.. very basic. Definitely wouldn't have paid more than 10€ to visit them.
Old May 28, 2016, 5:33 am
Original Poster

Thank you all.. CWS - I think I'll pre-book access to the Joan Miro Lounge. In the unlikely event she is turned away with a pre-paid voucher, I am sure I'll find a way to get it reissued for another time or a refund. (I'll check the t's and c's carefully before I purchase.)

She will be sensible on her own and I don't think will be remotely interested in the alcohol!

She's also super healthy so as long as there's a bit of salad (I recall salad boxes being in the lounge at Mad/ AGP airport so hopefully will be similar at BCN) she'll be fine.

One thing to note about this lounge is that there is free use of the shower BUT you have to pay for using their towels/shampoo etc.

Good to know! thank you!

That said, 10/10 for effort! I wish my parents had tried to give me the "best travel experience"! No Club flights for me when I was that age!

What a lovely mum you are .

Thanks - I try - hopefully one day she'll realise that too! ;-)

BLHD - thanks for your input.. I hear your thoughts and honestly / flipping it around, if I said do you want the lounge or the £25 she would take the money every time.. so you are right, but I am not offering that choice on this occasion!
Old May 28, 2016, 5:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
The non-Schengen lounge at BCN is pretty basic. Not that much different than the Schengen or MAD-shuttle lounge honestly.

Food choices are pretty basic (hand sandwiches with a little meat, mini muffins, little pastries). Basically not "real food." They do have an ok selection of soft drinks, beer, juices and coffee though. I don't recall ever seeing salad there, but I usually fly early morning. Maybe they might put some out later in the day.

Your daughter might be bored in there for three hours honestly. But it's a nice quiet place to hang out.

The wifi is the same free wifi everyone else in the airport uses, not that bad but not that great.

To me the best part of the lounge is that their newsstand is usually pretty decent. Mostly Spanish newspapers and magazine, but they do have some English ones.

Other than that, it's pretty basic. Not worth £25 in my opinion.
Old May 28, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
I did not have any problems accessing the BCN lounge when I was connecting from BA to RJ and my layover was around 4 hours or so,they even let me in with a ticket (could not issue a BP that early).

I have never been refused entry to any lounge (wheher airline operated or third party) when I arrived earlier than the "official" 3 hours.(One exception was the UN (Transaero) lounge on a BD ticket about 5-6 years ago.) I am under impression that this rule has the same intention as the oneworld "you may be refused access due to overcrowding" rule,how many of us were ever refused because the lounge was actually overcrowded (and not the case when one airline does not want to admit pax of other OW airlines?) ie,just for legal protection

Same goes for the under 18 rule,never had a problem with that (it might and probably is different in US lounges)

As fot the BCN lounge itself,I found it perfectly pleasant,I definitely saw salads there and they even had a fridge full of ice cream.
Old May 28, 2016, 12:05 pm

Programs: BAEC
There is also a separate shower area in the arrivals area that costs EUR 20:

http://www.premium-traveller.com/en/...ona/air-shower
Old May 30, 2016, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by CaroFos
BLHD - thanks for your input.. I hear your thoughts and honestly / flipping it around, if I said do you want the lounge or the £25 she would take the money every time.. so you are right, but I am not offering that choice on this occasion!
Thats one to try after she's had the Lounge experience... She might surprise you and end up wanting a Silver Card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.