Search

Reassurance and or advice needed

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2016, 3:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Reassurance and or advice needed

Hi All, Wonder if i can utilise the collective wisdom of the BA board

Just had a notification that BA have retimed our flights.

Currently flying LHR>BGO (BA 758 on 15/12/16) back to back BGO>LHR>HKG...and then onwards to syd the following day.

The original BGO flight took off at 08:25 and lands 11.25, now takes off 11.00, lands 14:00 with our return flight BA757 landing back taking off originally at 12:05 landing 13:25 but now 15:00, landing 16:20.

Our onward flight is BA31 to HKG at 18:30.

Our original flights meant we could leave luggage at LHR, either with BA (if they let us check it in - mixed experiences on the BA board about how successful checking in luggage has been prior to doubling back thru LHR) or, in the event its unsuccessful, the left luggage facility in T5, then collect it between our inbound BGO>LHR flight and our onward LHR> HKG - as we'd would've had 5.05hrs to do this...now with the flight change to/from Bergen, this is down to a fairly 'tight' 1hr50 to get landside, collect luggage, recheck and then get thru security.
(i've had several 'incidents' recently where we've either circled a lot over heathrow and been delayed, or we've landed on time and due to congestion its take 30+mins to reach the jet bridge to disembark, or both)

Any thoughts/options??? There are no earlier BGO flights that day so we cant move it and we cant move it to the previous day as we dont have any annual leave remaining.

(if its relevant, the first LHR>BGO is an avios booking, the main trip is a ex-EU cheapie, in I class, hence the bergen start point)
Old May 25, 2016, 3:47 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
If there are no earlier flights and you can't go the day before, then the only other option would be to travel HBO.

If you need to check luggage, you just need to hope you can check it in early for LHR-HKG or failing that that you have enough time to go landside, collect luggage and check it for the LHR-HKG during your connection.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nux
If there are no earlier flights and you can't go the day before, then the only other option would be to travel HBO.

If you need to check luggage, you just need to hope you can check it in early for LHR-HKG or failing that that you have enough time to go landside, collect luggage and check it for the LHR-HKG during your connection.
Oh - not really plausible for a 2-3 week holiday in Syd unfortunately.

If i speak to BA would they be able to add notes to the booking(s) to authorise early check-in at LHR? I've done this twice before but i was gold at time (now a silver until this syd trip) and obviously there is the evidence on here that sometimes early checkin works and sometimes it doesnt...
Old May 25, 2016, 4:05 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
As Gold, you should be able to check in the luggage from 5am at T5. Travel HBO to Bergen and hopefully the time you have should be sufficient as you should be airside throughout on return. It might be a good idea to OLCI and just drop the bags at 5am.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:06 am

Programs: Hilton diamond, BA GCH
I think Silver can also check in from 5am.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:13 am
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by chimambu
As Gold, you should be able to check in the luggage from 5am at T5.
Originally Posted by chimambu
I think Silver can also check in from 5am.
Early bag drop is open to anyone eligible to use the CW/F checkin desks, so Gold or Silver, OW Emerald or Sapphire, CW/F passengers. See: http://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/...rt/heathrow-t5

However there are some reports of this being refused if dropping bags for a flight before previous segments have been flown, so I wouldn't count on being able to do this with absolute certainty.

Originally Posted by GavT_london

If i speak to BA would they be able to add notes to the booking(s) to authorise early check-in at LHR? I've done this twice before but i was gold at time (now a silver until this syd trip) and obviously there is the evidence on here that sometimes early checkin works and sometimes it doesnt...
I wouldn't waste your time trying to do this. Just allow a bit of extra time to bag drop in the morning and hope you don't get any pushback. Not much else you can do.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:18 am

hmm then perhaps you need to travel lighter. We recently did a whole month in Australia (Syd,Perth,Mel,Tasmania, Barrier reef, plus stops in Singapore) on hand luggage only. Hand luggage only would be the safest option in your situation.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:22 am

Originally Posted by nux
I wouldn't waste your time trying to do this. Just allow a bit of extra time to bag drop in the morning and hope you don't get any pushback. Not much else you can do.
+1, if HBO is not an option, then this is your best (/only?) option. If you encounter resistance, explaining your situation (politely) to a supervisor might rectify matters.
Old May 25, 2016, 4:35 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
Remember your hand luggage just has to be within the size dimensions for carry on baggage, but the weight limit is pretty generous (can't remember offhand, but recall being pleasantly surprised the last time I looked at it)
Old May 25, 2016, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by nux
However there are some reports of this being refused if dropping bags for a flight before previous segments have been flown, so I wouldn't count on being able to do this with absolute certainty.

I agree with this.

But with 2:10 (not 1:50) between the BGO-LHR arrival at 1620 and the LHR-HKG departure at 1830, there should be enough time to go to left luggage and then get the bag up to check-in before the T-45m (ie 1745) cutoff.

No ex-EU is without risks, however you plan it. You just have to accept the possibility that something may go wrong. But in this case, a lot of things would have to go wrong in sequence for a major problem to arise, and even then there is still the possibility of getting on to BA27 to HKG later on (together with the attendant uncertainties about whether this would be (a) possible; and (b) possible at no extra cost).

A note for the OP, which is not merely pedantry: The scheduled times of the flight are not the take-off and landing times. They are the scheduled times for pushback from the gate on departure, and parking at the gate on arrival. While the arrival time therefore isn't quite the time that you will disembark, there is less of a delay between arrival and disembarkation (and therefore less risk for you) than if the scheduled time was for landing, with the taxi in yet to come.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Bronze, Hilton Diamond, Virgin Flying Club Red
GavT_london - I'm in a similar situation in that I am doing an ex-EU from Norway (SVG not BGO) and will need to check in some luggage.

We're currently doing a back-to-back in SVG without our checked bags, and then have 2h 55m back at LHR before we jump on the BA27 to HKG. This is all in Club.

We've no status and will be either looking to check the bags from LHR or have them stored at left luggage then check them in when we land from SVG.

Other option is to fly up to SVG on the morning LHR departure with bags, spend ~7 hours in SVG with luggage stored at the airport there then fly back as booked.

I'm not sure which is the best to do TBH.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by scillyisles
hmm then perhaps you need to travel lighter. We recently did a whole month in Australia (Syd,Perth,Mel,Tasmania, Barrier reef, plus stops in Singapore) on hand luggage only. Hand luggage only would be the safest option in your situation.
I agree - 2 or 3 weeks is very do-able HBO, with a bit of planning, unless you're doing winter sports or scuba diving. Once you've done it, you'll never look back. 2 or 3 months is (slightly) less plausble!

This flight is some way off, so the flights could be retimed, or another service added. I know BA may not approve this, and I've not checked the timings, but is SVG a better option?
Old May 25, 2016, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Globaliser
I agree with this.

But with 2:10 (not 1:50) between the BGO-LHR arrival at 1620 and the LHR-HKG departure at 1830, there should be enough time to go to left luggage and then get the bag up to check-in before the T-45m (ie 1745) cutoff.

No ex-EU is without risks, however you plan it. You just have to accept the possibility that something may go wrong. But in this case, a lot of things would have to go wrong in sequence for a major problem to arise, and even then there is still the possibility of getting on to BA27 to HKG later on (together with the attendant uncertainties about whether this would be (a) possible; and (b) possible at no extra cost).

A note for the OP, which is not merely pedantry: The scheduled times of the flight are not the take-off and landing times. They are the scheduled times for pushback from the gate on departure, and parking at the gate on arrival. While the arrival time therefore isn't quite the time that you will disembark, there is less of a delay between arrival and disembarkation (and therefore less risk for you) than if the scheduled time was for landing, with the taxi in yet to come.
Whoops clearly my counting skills are up the wall today - of course its 2hr10 - thanks.

Re pedantry - whilst i quoted them as take off and landing, i'm aware its gate arrival and departure times - however my last (at least 8) experiences of arriving at heathrow have been late due congestion in the skies (mostly), congestion on the taxi-ways, a fault jetty, lack of staff covering the jetty, no jetty available (late departure of flight from planned jetty) - some of these have been 10mins, others up to an hour...add that to the time it takes to generally disembark and get back from satellite gates then a 1hr50 window, now 2hr10 leaves little wiggle room

Hopefully it all pans out....
Old May 25, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
... then a 1hr50 window, now 2hr10 leaves little wiggle room
That's true. But most flights actually do arrive on time, and in any event you still have some room for some things to go wrong at this stage before it all goes pear-shaped.

One thing that I hadn't thought about before: do you have a passport that will work the e-gates? That should reduce one layer of risk if you have to do the whole circuit at this point.

But hopefully, the very first thing will go right, and you can set off for BGO knowing that your bags are already checked in for LHR-HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.