Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is Jettime always boarded via stairs?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2016, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, * Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold AMEX Plat'm, Marriott Titan'm, Hilton Diamond
Why is Jettime always boarded via stairs?

Sitting in GF at T5 and watching Jettime board across the apron from me. Each time I've seen it, either at LHR or GLA it's boarded using stairs, never an airbridge. Why?

GLA has had plenty of 737's and the airbirdges are capable. I have to say this has slightly put me off this service if for no other reason than I hate being bussed around an airport, then waiting. Tonight passengers on JT boarded from A4 then went all the way around T5A to a stand near A20. Mad as all the high number gates were empty at the time! Very Ryanair!
Old May 19, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Hadn't particularly noticed, but yes, my recent Jettime was from A10.. and the inbound was a bus as well now you mention it 😩
Old May 19, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Does anyone expect a 3rd division sub-contractor to get an airbridge at T5, BA's main hub?

It operates contract and ad hoc passenger and freight charters throughout Europe and short notice wet-lease charters for scheduled airlines
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jet_Time
Old May 19, 2016, 1:51 pm

I believe there are 2 stands put aside for JetTime operations. A24 and B31. Both are busing stands. Whether this has to do with the Airbridges not being set up for 737s, hold loading (no containerised holds) or any other issue I am not sure. But these 2 stands are dedicated for their aircrafts and both involve visna to/from The Aircraft.
Old May 19, 2016, 1:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Considering they operate for BA, yes, I do expect them to have an bridge and not getting bussed around, just like I would expect that for a BA flight, alas even in First and 747 I have been bussed.
Old May 19, 2016, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Gshumway
Considering they operate for BA, yes, I do expect them to have an bridge and not getting bussed around, just like I would expect that for a BA flight, alas even in First and 747 I have been bussed.
Just like you would be with the likes of LH,QR,LX,CX...... on occasion
Old May 19, 2016, 4:19 pm

Programs: BA GGL, A3*G, Mucci de l'expertise des Apps
As far as I am aware, the airbridges and stands with them at T5 are not setup for B737s. A 737 door height is quite a lot lower than any of the BA fleet, and so in order to get the airbridge down that low if they even can, you would have to park the aircraft much further away from the terminal to get the slope, and the stands and stand guidance are not marked or setup for this.

The second issue, is the B737s need their own towbar for the pushback. It's simpler to dedicate some stands to these aircraft where the stands can be setup for them and their equipment is so that they're not always chasing around all over the ramp for them if they were using any normal contact stands.
Old May 19, 2016, 6:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Titan used the air bridges on their 767 so its nothing to do with "3rd division sub contractor"

I am told that the T5 air bridge is not set up to services a 737

No idea if its that the auto guidance system issue or the bridge itself does not go low enough

Also the baggage needs loaded via a belt unlike the A3xx so it may be so that is in position

BA never used 737s at T5 apparently

Last edited by scottishpoet; May 19, 2016 at 6:19 pm
Old May 20, 2016, 12:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Airprox
As far as I am aware, the airbridges and stands with them at T5 are not setup for B737s. A 737 door height is quite a lot lower than any of the BA fleet, and so in order to get the airbridge down that low if they even can, you would have to park the aircraft much further away from the terminal to get the slope, and the stands and stand guidance are not marked or setup for this.

The second issue, is the B737s need their own towbar for the pushback. It's simpler to dedicate some stands to these aircraft where the stands can be setup for them and their equipment is so that they're not always chasing around all over the ramp for them if they were using any normal contact stands.
I would be very surprised if the airbridges at T5 can't operate with a 737, that there aren't already markings on the ground for the 737 stopping point, and that the towbar-less tugs used at T5 can't push back a 737.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:33 am

Programs: Amex Centurion, HHonors Diamond, Virgin Gold, BA Gold, Emirates Gold
They do board Jettime 737s via the airbridge at GLA on occasion - each occasion that I have flown from GLA and whenever I land at GLA on Jettime, we disembark via the airbridge
Old May 20, 2016, 2:37 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
FWIW - my inbound from CPH was also a bus,from, the remote T5B stands.
Old May 20, 2016, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Who'd have thought it? The world's busiest airport (OK, one of..) has a terminal expressly designed to exclude the world's best-selling aeroplane from using its airbridges......

Is this fact, or one of those factoids that create FT-myths?
Old May 20, 2016, 2:46 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Who'd have thought it? The world's busiest airport (OK, one of..) has a terminal expressly designed to exclude the world's best-selling aeroplane from using its airbridges......

Is this fact, or one of those factoids that create FT-myths?
Well the BA fleet has precisely 0 of them. (Not that that answers your question).
Old May 20, 2016, 2:58 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It may be to do with having the belt for loading luggage available

But I have been unofficially told the ramps do not go down low enough for a 737

I struggle to believe that as the ramps at the "new" t2 must accept a 737 which is why I suspect its more having the belt for loading the luggage rather
Old May 20, 2016, 3:25 am

Programs: BAEC
I seem to remember the 737s being relegated to T3 ops due to some kind of incompatibility with T5.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.