Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I change class-of-service on a reward flight without paying change-fee?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K SE (*G), Marriott P, SPG G, Hilton D

It's my first time posting here to BA forum.

I'm a novice with BA reward program. I want to book a flight JFK-YVR on CX using my BA points.

I currently see J-reward availability, but no F availability.

I would like to secure a seat on the flight, so I want to know if it's possible to book J-seat now and then upgrade it (pay the difference in points) later?

I see there is a "change-fee" if you want to change the flight/dates, but it doesn't say clearly if there is a change-fee for class-of-service changes. So I want to know what all the possible fees might be?

I have no status with BA.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:57 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
I am sure someone will be along with a more knowledgable explanation, but I don't think you can upgrade award flights. It might be a case of having to cancel and rebook when F availability is showing. This would incur a 55USD fee and 25USD if done not online. It's still a cost effective way of guaranteeing a seat on a flight with the opportunity to change if one becomes available.
Old May 12, 2016, 1:59 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It is possible to book J now and change it to F later (as long as there is still F reward space left). This isn't an upgrade, rather a change of class which incurs the 55USD change fee.
Old May 12, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You will need to pay the change fee. See this thread (among others):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/briti...ook-j-f-2.html
Old May 12, 2016, 4:10 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is possible to book J now and change it to F later (as long as there is still F reward space left). This isn't an upgrade, rather a change of class which incurs the 55USD change fee.
This shouldn't attract the $55 change fee. The $55 fee only applies to time/date changes. See here
Old May 12, 2016, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by Prospero
This shouldn't attract the $55 change fee. The $55 fee only applies to time/date changes. See here
Apologies, I'll get it right next time
Old May 12, 2016, 4:39 pm

If this is a booking you make with money that you are going to Uua then it would just be the tax and avios difference.

If this is booked with avios and then you upgrade later then yes you will need to pay the $55 amendment fee as it applies for any changes on an avios booking.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:42 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by Anonba
If this is a booking you make with money that you are going to Uua then it would just be the tax and avios difference.

If this is booked with avios and then you upgrade later then yes you will need to pay the $55 amendment fee as it applies for any changes on an avios booking.
Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:45 pm

Thanks for the clarification.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Effectively what you're doing is cancelling the current booking and rebooking in a different class, which is why it attracts the 'change / cancellation' fee. It's a stupid, unfair (IMHO) rule and one that BA should revisit. I'm sure if F was available at the time of the original booking, most people would have booked it in the first place.
Old May 12, 2016, 5:12 pm
pjs

YMMV but I was able to change 2 award seats from J to F for a flight in July without incurring a fee. We just paid the difference in Avios. I have no status with BA or OW. F was available at the time of the original booking. I just decided to treat us to F instead and a very nice phone agent was able to make the change with no fee.
Old May 12, 2016, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by pjs
YMMV but I was able to change 2 award seats from J to F for a flight in July without incurring a fee. We just paid the difference in Avios. I have no status with BA or OW. F was available at the time of the original booking. I just decided to treat us to F instead and a very nice phone agent was able to make the change with no fee.
Im assuming the change was made within 24 hours so that the correction policy could be applied which allows amendment fees and service fees to be waived you just pay the difference in fare tax and/or avios.

Clearly if there is no availability to do that or they would book it anyway. The op will be asked to pay the amendment fee if they change outside the first 24 hours from when booked.
Old May 13, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey
Effectively what you're doing is cancelling the current booking and rebooking in a different class, which is why it attracts the 'change / cancellation' fee. It's a stupid, unfair (IMHO) rule and one that BA should revisit. I'm sure if F was available at the time of the original booking, most people would have booked it in the first place.
But the same logic could apply to a cash fare, yet nobody seems to have any problem with BA applying the contractual change fee in this circumstance (and even though some other airlines take a different view, which is always liable to garner an anti-BA complaint here).
Old May 13, 2016, 10:57 am
pjs

Originally Posted by Anonba
Im assuming the change was made within 24 hours so that the correction policy could be applied which allows amendment fees and service fees to be waived you just pay the difference in fare tax and/or avios.

Clearly if there is no availability to do that or they would book it anyway. The op will be asked to pay the amendment fee if they change outside the first 24 hours from when booked.
Nope, it was about 6 months after I booked and about 4 months before the flight.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by pjs
Nope, it was about 6 months after I booked and about 4 months before the flight.
<br /><br />Is there a definitive answer to this? I'm looking to book a partner flight (using Avios) that only has PEY right now, but I want to eventually downgrade it to Y shall the inventory becomes available in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.