Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Did you know this Gold Benefit existed?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by switch007
The airline surely has a duty to locate the owner first of all.
Why? If I am foolish enough to leave my property lying around somewhere, why should anyone be under a duty to reunite me with it?

It is surely preferable to have a system in which a fee is payable rather than no system at all, and I can't see any legal reason why BA or the airport should be obliged to take care of lost property. Perhaps it would be best just to think of the fee as a stupidity tax!
Old May 11, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Last december I forgot my Samsung Galaxy in RJ@AMM lounge,flying to DME.
I realized it when all passengers were onboard (and we were at a remote stand),I asked the SCCM if it was possible to at least make a report to the ground staff and I would deal with the rest on my return. A ground staff came to see me and asked for the details and my home adress in Russia and he told me that it happens all the time and they would send it to that adress via the local station manager. I asked him wheter it is possible to hand it to my friend who would come to the airport and that was not a problem.

By the time I arrived at DME (3:45 flight time) my phone was safe with my friend.

I also recently forgot my duty free bag at VIE airside/international lounge and the lounge host caught me just before gate security and handed the bag to me....oh I must say,that VIE lounge might not be the best,but it is perfectly pleasant and the staff are great and they were happy to call the check in counter to ask for seat block and to check if baggage was transferred from the previous flight.

In both cases no one was intrested in my status and I just don't understand why some think that one's status should /does determine everything? Actually I could never even imagine that someone might be actually be charged to be reunited with their property.
We as passengers pay airport handling fees and our fares cover the work of airline ground staff and lost property office provision is a part of the service package we [should] receive in return.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Just checked again - the cost is between £0 and £20 but they won't tell you in advance.

The cataloging is truly dire. You can have a look at the website if you want http://www.missingx.com/
It's £20 for most things including iPads, which is a rip-off if you ask me (and something I've moaned about before on here).
Old May 11, 2016, 3:48 pm

Programs: RJ Gold, AZ E+, Air Asia Platinum
Originally Posted by CCayley
Why? If I am foolish enough to leave my property lying around somewhere, why should anyone be under a duty to reunite me with it?

It is surely preferable to have a system in which a fee is payable rather than no system at all, and I can't see any legal reason why BA or the airport should be obliged to take care of lost property. Perhaps it would be best just to think of the fee as a stupidity tax!

So should the information desk charge those people who ask for directions on how to get to security/bar/check in counter? If someone is foolish enough not to know directions,why should anyone be under a duty to give them those directions?
Old May 11, 2016, 4:31 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Rami Tamimi
So should the information desk charge those people who ask for directions on how to get to security/bar/check in counter? If someone is foolish enough not to know directions,why should anyone be under a duty to give them those directions?
Why should people who exercise a reasonable degree of competence in looking after their possessions be required to pay higher fares to subsidise a 'free' service for idiots who regularly fail to look after theirs? That is, after all, what a free lost items recovery service amounts to. Someone has to pay for it, so why not the pillock who left their stuff behind in the first place?
Old May 11, 2016, 4:37 pm

Programs: BA
Why should people who exercise a reasonable degree of competence in looking after their possessions be required to pay higher fares to subsidise a 'free' service for idiots who regularly fail to look after theirs? That is, after all, what a free lost items recovery service amounts to. Someone has to pay for it, so why not the pillock who left their stuff behind in the first place?
touché
Old May 11, 2016, 4:42 pm
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Because being a "pillock" (such a charming description) is human, and normal human beings make mistakes. Clearly you don't.

I'm delighted that such service exist and am pleased that these items have been returned. There is no worse feeling than knowing that you and your property have parted company and you kick yourself for being such a fool. Happens all the time to everyone. The stuff that gets forgotten at security is amazing.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:15 pm

Agree there is a reasonable argument for charging a small fee towards the cost of the service but £20 seems excessive to me - so the question is are they using Lost Property as a profit centre. Clearly the outsourced provider will be making some margin out of it but quite possibly HAL and/or BA are too.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Possession: remember, it's said to be nine tenths of the law. After all, what's the passenger going to do if the company refuses? Break in to the storage area and forcibly retrieve it?

While I know it's in the nature of FT to demand the moon on a stick, I find it hard to see why a company which is spending money on a system for retrieving, collecting, logging / tracking, safely storing, and returning your lost property to you shouldn't be entitled to ask you (the person at fault) to pay towards the costs of that system.
Agreed. ^

If you lose it you should expect to pay to get it back. I'll be 60 in a couple of months and can say apart from a 30lb salmon I've never lost anything worth losing sleep over in all that time.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
Agreed. ^

If you lose it you should expect to pay to get it back. I'll be 60 in a couple of months and can say apart from a 30lb salmon I've never lost anything worth losing sleep over in all that time.
Presumably since you're so good at not losing things, you wouldn't actually lose any sleep even over something worth losing sleep over.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Presumably since you're so good at not losing things, you wouldn't actually lose any sleep even over something worth losing sleep over.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List, Hilton Honours Diamond, Accor Gold
I landed on a BA flight from Rome in 2003 and left my passport in the cabin of the 734. Incredibly I was let through border control with a trade union membership card. I was directed to the BA desk in arrivals, then to lost property at Gatwick, but they told me no one could retrieve it there and then. I was given options and eventually it was sent free by post to my home address.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
If you refuse to pay the charge, they take ownership of the goods and then presumably sell them.
AFAIK, they could not lawfully claim ownership of an item which they know to belong to someone else.
Old May 11, 2016, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Possession: remember, it's said to be nine tenths of the law. After all, what's the passenger going to do if the company refuses? Break in to the storage area and forcibly retrieve it?
How about suing for conversion?
Old May 11, 2016, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by NickB
AFAIK, they could not lawfully claim ownership of an item which they know to belong to someone else.
So how can they then sell them when unclaimed if they don't own them in the first place?

(I'm assuming they sell them as otherwise you have a huge burden of unclaimed items, mainly electronic, which will be expensive to dispose of or store forever...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.