Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Heathrow curfew change - only 4 BA flights impacted?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments

Given the proposal for changing the curfew to 5.30 (as quid pro quo for 3rd runway) it looks like 4 BA flights would be impacted: KUL, LOS, HKG, SIN

Would push the two ex-HKG flights very close (5 mins) together. Any thoughts on impacts - would BA be able to retime the 2nd HKG flight?

(Very speculative, I know...)
Old May 11, 2016, 3:43 am

If the premise of this is based on a third runway, the impact is they won't need to alter the timings. As Heathrow won't get a third runway

Interesting to see the boss of LHR on BBC News this morning. Ignoring the main issues relating to pollution at LHR are the road traffic feeding it rather than the planes.
Old May 11, 2016, 3:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Considering it's no-where near to being given the green light, and then with many years of construction work following that, discussing the flight times is certainly 'speculative'
Old May 11, 2016, 3:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
A thread was already started on this earlier http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ew-0530am.html
Old May 11, 2016, 3:57 am

Programs: BA Gold
The curfew might actually force one of the overnight HKG flights to become a daylight flight. This would also likely apply to the KUL flight. And of course the early Boston would be timed to leave Boston slightly later. The final flight I think would be Singapore which should be fairly easy to retime slightly.
Old May 11, 2016, 5:20 am

Is there any reason why the flights can't just leave Asia later? SQ/CX etc have 0100 departures for LHR
Old May 11, 2016, 5:20 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
While only 4 flights are scheduled to land before 5:30am, I have landed early on multiple flights from HKG (both services), JNB, and even JFK.

When we have landed early, we normally end up circling anyway, so clearly a decent wind. However, circling over London cannot be beneficial to the pollution cuts proposed.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold....er now Silver...er now Bronze....er now Blue
As one of the few residents of Richmond who actually supports the 3rd runway, this is welcome news.

The regular post 4:30am noise often wakes me up.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:18 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
The 0450 from HKG is the only flight that allows me to depart HKG on Sunday night and get to work on time on Monday.

I live under the LHR flightpath and lived under the Kai Tak flightpath and the noise never bothered/bothers me.
Old May 11, 2016, 6:21 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by :D!
The 0450 from HKG is the only flight that allows me to depart HKG on Sunday night and get to work on time on Monday.

I live under the LHR flightpath and lived under the Kai Tak flightpath and the noise never bothered/bothers me.
Not surprised you aren't bothered by noise in Hong Kong if you live under the flight path of a closed airport. Have you been sat there for the last 18 years wondering why it is so quiet?
Old May 11, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Avis President's Club
Ever since the 'third runway discussion' started, I've thought that the later start-times would be the biggest way of winning over the West London residents.

I also lived in that region for a couple of years and I couldn't care less if there were more flights during the day, but if they could delay the start until 5:30/6 then I'd have been pro-expansion.
Old May 11, 2016, 1:55 pm

Regardless if they do ever approve a 3rd runway and change the curfew times - they need to do something about the "exceptions".

Too often departing planes depart after 2300 or even 2330. No doubt for "operational" reasons. They are supposed to have to justify and get approval why an aircraft needs to depart after 2330 but I cant imagine their is much rigour in this given Heathrow and the airlines interests are aligned.
Old May 11, 2016, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by drb1979
Too often departing planes depart after 2300 or even 2330. No doubt for "operational" reasons.
Would you prefer it if flights were cancelled more often instead?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:05 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
While only 4 flights are scheduled to land before 5:30am, I have landed early on multiple flights from HKG (both services), JNB, and even JFK.

When we have landed early, we normally end up circling anyway, so clearly a decent wind. However, circling over London cannot be beneficial to the pollution cuts proposed.
Biggest problem of pollution actually comes from people driving to and from the airport (which would increase with capacity).
Old May 11, 2016, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Would you prefer it if flights were cancelled more often instead?
Yes. There is a curfew, airlines need to take into account the possibility of disruption and plan accordingly. At the very least there needs to be significant penalties for departing after the curfew starts - the airline can then weigh up if the penalty is worth paying. Other airports work in this way, no reason why Heathrow can't.

No use in saying the curfew starts at 2300 if airlines can simply "justify" why they need to depart after it starts.

Last edited by SW7London; May 11, 2016 at 2:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.