Wiki Posts
Search

"A" tickets non refundable

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2016, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

"A" tickets non refundable

Hi all
I booked two f tickets in Dec last year as BA had a sale on and seemed a good deal at the time. Annoyingly now in their new sale you can get two F returns lhr to jfk for 1k cheaper. I booked through a website called skyclub and checked today and was told the tickets are non refundable. I did see this and thought thats fin e at the time but was wondering if there is anyway that I can cancel these and rebook at the lower price? I did say to the women I spoke to I was happy to pay any booking charges etc for them again but she said they were A class which I assume is a travel agent class as opposed to F?

Anyone managed to do something similar or am I stuck and have to live with it? I understand if so as no one can predict future sale prices. Thanks
Old May 4, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, IC Ambassador, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum
BA first has two type of revenue ticket, denoted by fare bucket letters: F and A.

F tickets are fully flexible and refundable; A tickets are less flexible and cannot be refunded if cancelled. Obviously F is considerably more expensive than A.

In this case I think you are stuck with your existing tickets.

But c'est la vie, it could be that the current price for the route you hold is considerably higher than the price you paid.

That's just a facet of airline ticket pricing (and many other things in life where you won't be able to get a refund just because the price has dropped).
Old May 4, 2016, 1:47 pm

A class tickets if bought through BA.com are typically refundable with a £300 charge if cancelled before the first flight.
"If you want to cancel your flight
If the booking is cancelled before the first flight, a cancellation fee of £300 per ticket applies. At any other time there are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes."
Old May 4, 2016, 1:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by FrancisA
BA first has two type of revenue ticket, denoted by fare bucket letters: F and A.

F tickets are fully flexible and refundable; A tickets are less flexible and cannot be refunded if cancelled. Obviously F is considerably more expensive than A.

In this case I think you are stuck with your existing tickets.

But c'est la vie, it could be that the current price for the route you hold is considerably higher than the price you paid.

That's just a facet of airline ticket pricing (and many other things in life where you won't be able to get a refund just because the price has dropped).
Originally Posted by scillyisles
A class tickets if bought through BA.com are typically refundable with a £300 charge if cancelled before the first flight.
"If you want to cancel your flight
If the booking is cancelled before the first flight, a cancellation fee of £300 per ticket applies. At any other time there are no refunds except for any government & airport taxes."
Yes, quite interesting this: the ex-EU A class fares have always (as far as I know- I bought my first only a couple of years ago!) been cancel-able for a fee (e.g. 300euros) but it is a relatively recent development that the ex-UK A bucket is now cancel-able for £300 as well as changeable. It sounds like you must have bought before the new rules were applied, 225SG.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by crazy8534
Yes, quite interesting this: the ex-EU A class fares have always (as far as I know- I bought my first only a couple of years ago!) been cancel-able for a fee (e.g. 300euros) but it is a relatively recent development that the ex-UK A bucket is now cancel-able for £300 as well as changeable. It sounds like you must have bought before the new rules were applied, 225SG.
The cancellable for £300 for ex-UK fares has been operation for quite some time. I would guess about 18 months to 2 years as I have bought many A class fares with this condition over this period.
Old May 4, 2016, 1:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, BA Amex Prem, Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Sir Crazy8534 de l'ordres des aides de Pucci
Originally Posted by scillyisles
The cancellable for £300 for ex-UK fares has been operation for quite some time. I would guess about 18 months to 2 years as I have bought many A class fares with this condition over this period.
I bought an ex-UK A fare in December 2014 and I know that at that time it was definitely still not cancel-able (because I was forced to change it!) so perhaps the changeover was shortly after that? Since then I have been mostly merrily using DUB.

EDIT: I think Globaliser has solved this one, you may be out of luck 225SG.

Last edited by crazy8534; May 4, 2016 at 2:04 pm
Old May 4, 2016, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
This may be the key:-
Originally Posted by 225SG
I booked through a website called skyclub and checked today and was told the tickets are non refundable.
If Skyclub is a consolidator and it's selling a net fare or something similar, the fare conditions (or Skyclub's additional conditions) may be different from those of a published fare, even in the same booking class. This may be why the OP cannot get a refund; without a refund, there's no way of taking effective advantage of the lower fare available today.
Old May 4, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
This may be the key
Also note the TV programme about The Flight Centre the other week - staff specifically spoke about how they told passengers that tickets were non-refundable, even if this this was not correct, to boost their commission.
Old May 4, 2016, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
Also note the TV programme about The Flight Centre the other week - staff specifically spoke about how they told passengers that tickets were non-refundable, even if this this was not correct, to boost their commission.
Thats what got me thinking. When I got cancellation options in the booking it states as I purchased through an agent it sdown to their t and cs. I would pay the 300 per ticket cost to be honest as I would still be 400 pounds better off.

Thanks all I will give BA a ring I think to get their view.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.