Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Avios refund on 2-4-1 with one leg flown

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Avios refund on 2-4-1 with one leg flown

Afternoon all,

I used my Amex 2-4-1 on a return redemption flight last week. I flew the first leg with my partner fine, but on the day of the return leg I was unfortunately taken unwell at the airport and was unable to fly. I was checked in at this point but spoke to an agent who was able to cancel/offload me from the flight.

The second leg was from LHR and as such I don't actually need it now, so rebooking for another date wasn't an option.

My question would be, am I able to get a refund of the Avios from that second leg? I am not expecting the 2-4-1 back as we already flew one leg but I was unsure of what I am entitled to and there aren't really any precedents in this situation I could refer to on here when calling BA. I'm aware this cancellation was on the day and with that in mind I'm not expecting anything, but would be good to get a clear answer if anyone knows it.

Grateful for your thoughts!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:26 am

You don't get a refund of Avios if you've flown the first leg I'm afraid.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Melia Gold, Shangri-La Jade, BA Amex PP, Iberia+, Nandos Card
Thought not, but good to get the clarification. Thanks windowontheAside!
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:34 am

Programs: BA OWE, SQ*G, HH Diamond
I was concerned to get a penalty not using all legs of booked 241 voucher..
Old Apr 24, 2016, 6:40 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
You can ask and state why you were not able to travel. If you have a doctors note that may help. However, unless BA want to do it as a gesture of goodwill due to your illness on the day no refund of avios is due.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KARFA
You can ask and state why you were not able to travel. If you have a doctors note that may help. However, unless BA want to do it as a gesture of goodwill due to your illness on the day no refund of avios is due.
Not that I know much about how 2-4-1 vouchers work but I get the impression the partner may have flown the return sector.
Old Apr 24, 2016, 4:24 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Not that I know much about how 2-4-1 vouchers work but I get the impression the partner may have flown the return sector.
Good point. That frankly makes it impossible to get anything back.
Old Apr 25, 2016, 2:35 am
Original Poster

Neither flight on the return leg was taken - we both took the outbound leg.

The illness wasn't anything I would get a doctor's note for - was in bed for a couple of days but back in the office today, just didn't feel well enough to fly.

Given I missed the last leg of an ex-EU four weeks ago I'm calling it quits I think, fair is fair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.