Wiki Posts
Search

BA crew upgrading a passenger on board.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
Perhaps because this is an open forum not a million miles away from social media, and by posting it here you've possibly made yourself and those doing you a favour identifiable (if BA wanted to do so).
I agree by answering questions we could possibly be making life more difficult for ourselves, for me when I read things that are untrue I have to correct them, but this should be a lesson to all of us.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by Can I help you
I agree by answering questions we could possibly be making life more difficult for ourselves, for me when I read things that are untrue I have to correct them, but this should be a lesson to all of us.
And as many have said before, we are very grateful that you and your colleagues do come here to provide valuable information and advice for the FT community's benefit.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I am sure that we all get different things out of coming on here but one of the reasons is because we all care.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by simon1234567
You make it sound like people are stealing sweets from the shop counter! I don't know anyone and I'll bet you don't either, who if offered a free or discounted 'something', perfectly legitimate and legal (not a shady deal) would turn it down. What would be the point?
No. Normal business (and life) is made up of a myriad of opportunities, all of them legal, and if I can repay a kindness, then I do.

You really have a bee in your bonnet about this, don't you? It's too much apparently for you to just accept that some people have a connection here, or there, or wherever that might help them. A kid gets a job because his dad went to school with the boss. A bloke gets his car fixed at a discount because he knows the Ford sales director. A lady gets a cheap laptop because her brother works at PC World. You never have ever been in receipt of a favour from anyone, anytime that might have been a gesture of kindness?

Take a step back, breathe, and then realise that it really doesn't affect you or anyone else.

Really though, it's more akin to paying for a 32" television but taking a 65" set out of the store.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:21 am

Only if the store manager gave you the 65" set. Otherwise, it's shoplifting.

Seriously, I cannot believe the BS I am reading here. I simply added what I think was a relevant anecdote to a thread. My posting was totally relevant to the OP and I thought I was adding some value to the discussion, given my experience. Instead I am being subjected to being called everything from a thief to a someone involved directly in corruption and collusion. What a massive over reaction in the most childish, and dare I say jealous way.

Those of you who are so holier than thou obviously have a massive chip on your collective shoulder and I feel so sorry for you.

I don't believe I deserve this sort of flaming on what I have often taken to be a friendly, useful and sometimes fun forum. Well thanks for removing all of that.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:27 am

Only if the store manager gave you the 65" set. Otherwise, it's shoplifting.

Seriously, I cannot believe the BS I am reading here. I simply added what I think was a relevant anecdote to a thread. My posting was totally relevant to the OP and I thought I was adding some value to the discussion, given my experience. Instead I am being subjected to being called everything from a thief to a someone involved directly in corruption and collusion. What a massive over reaction in the most childish, and dare I say jealous way.

Those of you who are so holier than thou obviously have a massive chip on your collective shoulder and I feel so sorry for you.

I don't believe I deserve this sort of flaming on what I have often taken to be a friendly, useful and sometimes fun forum. Well thanks for removing all of that.
Well you certainly received a free upgrade in the drama class, and made full use of it.

You have been receiving something you haven't paid before simply because a friend of yours had a word with someone else.

You haven't earned the upgrades through loyalty nor by flying on the plane captained by your mate.

I'm with Globaliser on this one.

The analogies you offered only work if they are a one off event.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC: Silver - Marriott: Titanium
Originally Posted by jamesreid978
On a flight to EWR last November, there was a family of 3 (maybe 4) in WT, I was in WT+. Half way through the flight the Mother and Daughter got moved to CW - no idea why and there were plenty free seats in WT+. BingBongBoy was working on the flight in CW, maybe he can shed some light on that situation. The daughter looked absolutely delighted - as she should - WT on a 787 looked absolutely horrendous. Unfortunately they didn't all get moved, and the waited at the end of the air bridge for the rest of the family after disembarking.
Captains dog walkers friends mother's half sister I think that one was.

However, it was a pleasure to meet you.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:38 am

Aeschylus : And you certainly receive a free downgrade when it comes to decency. Your last post reeks of childish jealousy and even a dose of snobbery. I pity you.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:40 am

Aeschylus : And you certainly receive a free downgrade when it comes to decency. Your last post reeks of childish jealousy and even a dose of snobbery. I pity you.
I suspect that you mean envy rather than jealousy.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:46 am

I stand corrected. You are indeed envious. Don't be, it is a waste of energy.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:51 am

I stand corrected. You are indeed envious. Don't be, it is a waste of energy.
You have been an absolute star to chat with this afternoon, thank you.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:56 am

As have you. I don't mind keeping lonely people company. A little busy but keeping this window open in case you need any more attention as you obviously don't get too much on board.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:19 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Originally Posted by Globaliser
To see the difference, imagine that you've scrimped and saved for a long time to be able to afford to buy a WT+ ticket for the first time, instead of your usual discount economy. You get to the check-in desk and the check-in agent says "Would you like to upgrade to Club World for £500?" You can't afford that amount of money, so you decline - and you're sitting in the WT+ seat that you paid for. So far, so good.

Now add this hypothetical: Suppose the check-in agent then says, "Oh, it's a great shame that you aren't Joe Bloggs, the CSD's next-door neighbour who's on this flight, because the CSD is giving all his mates upgrades for free. But please don't tell the company, because the company wouldn't approve of that."

Don't you see how that could cause understandable (and IMHO justifiable) grievance or resentment?
The checkin agent would have to be proper mental to make that pitch in all fairness.
I would at that point claim to be the First Officer's Labrador
Old Apr 10, 2016, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold GGL
Originally Posted by BingBongBoy
Captains dog walkers friends mother's half sister I think that one was.

However, it was a pleasure to meet you.
Being serious, didn't someone post on here recently looking for advice?

His junior colleague's friend's partner worked at Heathrow or something and he wanted to make sure he got the 'guaranteed' upgrade
Old Apr 10, 2016, 12:15 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AF Silver
I find this thread fascinating, especially having just returned from a multi-leg jaunt around the US on AA, and experiencing the diametrically-opposed approach to upgrades that AA and BA take. I was in F or J on every flight in the US, and without exception the premium cabins were full on every flight - basically because there is an upgrade waitlist made up of FFs offering miles for better seats, and at the bottom end there are always standby passengers, who will enable status passengers to move up in front of the curtain. Example - when I flew LAX-HNL, only 8 of the 16 seats were filled with revenue passengers. The other 8 were all occupied with upgrades, which enabled a bunch of standby people to fly. The difference here seems to be that the rules are really clear and everyone understands them - upgrades are a perk of loyalty, and the most loyal get first dibs. If there are any underhand mates' deals going on, they are clearly happening well under the radar. With BA, everyone expects (mostly) that upgrades will not happen, except the occasional OpUp - but the rules seem much less clear, hence the uncertainty. As for the upgrade for the captain's mother-in-law's neighbour's milkman's best friend, of course this is going to happen - but it should always be done out of earshot of any other paying passengers, especially those of us who've been lining the airline's pockets for years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.